Windows 10: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Discus and support Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Which Windows Live Mail app are you running there? For 10 when looking to get the Live Mail app running I ended up downloading the Windows Essentials... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Which Windows Live Mail app are you running there? For 10 when looking to get the Live Mail app running I ended up downloading the Windows Essentials 2012 which went right on and has been working out quite well without any problems! Windows Live Essentials

Now the information chart shows the 2009 version suited for XP, the 2011 for Vista, and the 2012 for 7, 8, and 8.1 but works just as well on 10! The download is the Windows Live setup file while there was also an older wlcustomsetup.exe for picking and choosing options I doubt wouldn't be any good at this time! I still have that tucked away with other utility files used on 7.

Night Hawk, Sep 3, 2015
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

In addition, how does the included Mail app work for you as an alternative?

Brink, Sep 3, 2015
  3. Xyster Win User
    I have Windows Essentials 2012.

Mail app that came with Windows 10 I really don't like, and I would prefer Windows Live Mail, as everything I read on the Internet about it says I should be able use it in Windows 10 without any issues.

Xyster, Sep 3, 2015
  4. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

i was having tons of issues getting visual studio 2015 pro. the installation keeps hanging in inconsistent places, i feel that my recent upgrade to win 10 is the issue.

were you able to find a resolution for your vs 2015 issues?

johnnymoniker, Sep 4, 2015
  5. Hello there! johnnymoniker Welcome to the Ten Forums!

software, program installs hang. Some programs don't want to go on when they should?! The guide here is one of the two right places to be if you are still running on the initial upgrade to 10! "Buggy buggy buggy" those can be at times! The Repair Install method outlined here can help solve any number of issues when not prepated to see full clean install take place.

Night Hawk, Sep 4, 2015
  6. preachin to the choir, I had to refresh Windows twice. After looking at the install logs it appeared like it might be permissions related.....

i then ran the install as administrator and it finished in twenty minutes. Garret...

johnnymoniker, Sep 4, 2015
  7. Well that can be an issue to especially if you are in a "Local" admin account and signed into 10 by an MS account it seems! That's a good point you have there since I have been working with both angles here and have found that the permissions were lacking at times to take ownership even over things when logged into the local account.

Yet there won't be any problem when signed into the MS account on the other hand! Right clicking to select the "Run as administrator" option seems to be habit forming lately! If you didn't sign up for an MS account and skipped past that part this is what you could be seeing there too.

Night Hawk, Sep 5, 2015
  8. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

i am actually using an MS account for my login, it didn't even occur to me to set up a local admin account since i figured that it would have the same basic right and permissions since my MS account is assigned the admin role.

it sounds like you've noticed some behavior quirks between the two account types, since you have experience with both of them i'd be interested to know the differences that you've observed and/or heard about. if my permissions woes yesterday (and today, forgot to admin-click sql management studio and finally gave up on the installation after three hours) can be mitigated at least somewhat by running on a local admin account then I'm gonna go ahead and do that unless there's some tradeoff I'm not aware of.

Overall I like Windows 10, MS got a lot of things right with this release, just seems like it could have benefited from a longer development lifecycle. I'm still astounded that they haven't addressed the 255 character filepath limit nonsense. the real limit is closer to 32000 characters but they artificially limit this in the win api and file explorer. absurd.

johnnymoniker, Sep 5, 2015
  9. It's not actually quirks but how 10 was set up to begin with. If I had simply skipped past the sigh up for MS account screen and not even entered a password the full admin account would be the local account with the elevated permissions a bit easier to attain. But I used an existing account during the original upgrade as well as for the subsequent clean install on the main build which would now have to be replaced by a totally new copy of 10 in order to bypass the MS account type log-in option. But that also would effect setting up the Windows Live Mail app as well as the new Mail app seen with 10.

For logging in with the Local account you don't need to create a new separate account but simply sign in with the local account option found in Start>Settings>Accounts pointed to by the red line in the screen here.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade [​IMG]

What that will do is immediately log out of the current desktop session and have you sign in with or without a password, pin code, or image file which comes in handy when dual booting 10 with a previous version which here would be 7. At the bottom of the same screen you will also find the two options for adding a Microsoft account or a work or school account as a new user account to sign in with.

Night Hawk, Sep 5, 2015
  10. dang, that's a pretty cool trick. are these the 'virtual desktops' i've been hearing about?

i really should just set aside a weekend and really get to know the new features that ms brought to the table.... appreciate all the feedback night hawk, many thanks.

johnnymoniker, Sep 5, 2015
  11. The virtual desktop feature is something else totally there. You would want to review the guide which explains how to use the Task View button option to move around between two or more possible virtual desktops. Task View for Desktops - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The option I was pointing to there is how to go about logging in with the local account option rather then the constant prompting for log in credentials like the password, pin code, or image but can restart the machine without seeing more then the lock screen you click and then the arrow button when not assigning something after booting into the other OS for example or simply seeing the desktop return automatically when any updates go on requiring a full system restart. But since you logged out of the MS account for logging in with the local account the permissions are reduced automatically.

And one other thing is the need to see a slight change in the account name like " Local" used here when first setting that option up.

Night Hawk, Sep 5, 2015
  12. I've tried to run the in place repair install. First from a USB drive. I get the Modern Host process failed error and the whole set up shuts down. I then tried to run it from an ISO I downloaded to a DVD. When I ran that, during the setup process it asked for my Windows 10 key, which of course I don't have. My current Windows 10 is fully activated as per the settings. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here or why I can't do the in place repair install. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gator5000e, Sep 6, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Hello Gator,

It shouldn't be asking for a product key if your current installation is activated.

Is the ISO for the exact same version, edition, and language as what you currently have installed?

Be sure that you are doing the steps exactly, to make sure that you are not selecting to do a clean install instead.

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  14. Thanks, Brink. I don't know what I am doing wrong at this point. Windows says it's activated. I've tried the repair using both the USB and DVD method. The Modern Host error pops up each time. I rebooted with the USB in the drive and the install Windows 10 window came up and asked for a Key. The Modern Host problem looks like its a problem for a lot of folks but not a lot of ways to solve the issue. Windows doesn't really help. The error box doesn't give you any information on what is causing the problem. So I am at a loss. I guess I will just trudge along for now or maybe find a tech in my area to come in and look at the computer. This is my work computer so I can't afford to mess it up too much.

I would do a reset thru the Update & Security page in Settings, but I nervous about losing my network settings for connecting to the other computers in my office that i need to connect to for a couple of programs. The repair option would be great for me for this reason.

Gator5000e, Sep 6, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, you could lose your network connections for work by doing a reset or clean install.

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

1. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Similar Threads - Repair Install place

2. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  3. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  4. Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally: I am confused... After problems with the 2021-06 cumulative update for x64 machines, I had to uninstall the latest quality update. Now having different problems (no sound devices detected), I wanted to try an in-place/repair install. Using the Media Creation Tool, I...
  5. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Repair Install (in place upgrade) question: Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive which gets rid of bloatware as well. Im doing things differently this time though. It has a some useful software pre...
  6. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...
  7. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error: I follow exactly these istructions Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade and i select to not update drivers etc.. and also if i select to update drivers etc.. but after reboot i have the error on image Please can you suggest me? Thank Hispa P.S. Secure boot is...
  8. Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade: Will a repair installor inplace upgrade remove any of my software? I have photoshop on my computer and have lost the cd, so Id rater not have it removed. Do you think this will happen?...
  9. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...: Yesterday I attempted a Repair Install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool as per the TenForums Tutorial but for some reason it all went pear-shaped… I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool (1803) and get the following screens:- “Getting a few things ready”...
  10. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: Hi , I want to do a repair install of windows 10 ( new 1607) with an in-place upgrade using DVD media ( .iso 1607 , engl/us ,all the same ) because of corrupted files although windows operation so far is good . sfc /scannow , command prompt > DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...