Windows 10: Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Discus and support Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Task View in Windows 10 How to Open Task View in Windows 10 Windows 10 introduces a new feature called Task View. Task View is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

How to: Open Task View in Windows 10

How to Open Task View in Windows 10

Windows 10 introduces a new feature called Task View. Task View is a virtual desktop manager that allows you to quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple desktops. Create custom additional desktops to group apps for productivity, entertainment, or whatever you choose. This makes multitasking and organizing your opened apps much easier.

For more information about Task View (aka: virtual desktops), see:
    Starting with snap apps to left and right, replace a previously snapped app with another (teeter) and swipe down to close an app.

This tutorial will show you different ways to open Task View for your virtual desktops and activity history timeline in Windows 10.

*note If you have multiple displays connected, apps will only show on the display they are opened on for virtual desktops.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Task View using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press the Win+Tab OR Win+Ctrl+Back keys and release.

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Task View using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Task View button on the taskbar. (see screenshot below)

Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION THREE [/i] Open Task View using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. On a touchscreen, swipe inwards from the left border of the screen.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 16, 2015

2. How to open app on another virtual desktop?

Hi Radim,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if virtual desktop or task view option is not enabled.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to enable virtual desktop on the computer.

The virtual desktops feature in Windows 10 is known as “Task View” and is located on the Taskbar. Clicking the “Task View” button brings up the Task View interface, where you can see your open windows on virtual desktops which you have added.

To enable task view option on the taskbar.

1. Right click on Taskbar.

2. Click on Show task view button.

3. Then it will be available on the task bar next to the Search bar.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using virtual desktop, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 16, 2015
  3. windows 10 -- How do I open a 2d window on the screen (desktop)?

Hi maesz, I am Rob, a volunteer and a 10 time and dual award MVP specializing in Windows troubleshooting and Bluescreen analysis. Please remember as volunteers we are not responsible for the development of Windows or the computer hardware and drivers.

You mean use Task View?

Right Click the Task Bar - be sure Task View is checked.

How to Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2030-open-u...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Mar 16, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Hello Maggi,

Well, I was hoping the titles of each option would help to let know what each is for. *Wink

Brink, Mar 16, 2015
  5. Well that's true Shawn, they do, but they're not things I'm choosing between (which is how I interpret the word 'options').

To me they're complementary actions that are used when using the Task View, so they're all sections of the tutorial.

All comes down to dictionary definitions I guess. Just thought I'd mention it.

And I should also mention I have my gold medal in nitpicking (I prefer to call it 'attention to detail *chuckle).

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 16, 2015
  6. I am really Confused by this.

This is what I've done: Settings>System>Click System Icon>Click Multitasking on the Left Hand Side>Select All Desktops.

Then I Click on edge, open a Web Page, Then go to Task View and that page appears in one of those Mini Desk Tops.

So far so good but what I don't get is how you use edge to open (for instance) a different Site Web Page.

Do I click on the Minimize dash- and then click edge again, or do I click on the 3 little dots and open a New Window or have to configure something somewhere.

I'm sorry I just don't get it, please would you try and explain it in very simple Terms, even the You Tube Videos don't explain the procedure of opening another page, without the first one you opened disappearing.

( I was also confused by the Options) but so as not to confuse myself any more than I am, I just want to keep to the Normal way of doing it.

The only way I seem to be able to open a Second Web Page, (without the first Tab disappearing) is to open a New Window but do not know if this is the way you are really supposed to do it.

Cyberdesigner, Aug 14, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Cyberdesigner, *Smile

Think of Task View as having multiple desktops with each desktop able to have something opened on it, and being able to switch between these desktops of opened items.

You'll need to open a separate window of Edge on each desktop you want one on.

Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  8. Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Hi Many Thanks

So it looks like I have been doing it the Right Way all the Time?

As the only way that I could get the Multiple Desk Tops to work, was by Clicking on the 3 dots... and opening a New Window every time.

What was really confusing me and maybe others as well, is that on the 'Tutorial Page' there doesn't seem to be any mention of having to open a New Window every time.

All it talks about is opening Tabs.

Anyone coming from Windows XP or Windows 7 would automatically hit the Minimize Dash- and then Click on their Browser to Open a New Window.

Not so it would seem in Windows 10 but unless I have missed something, nothing seems to explain this to New Windows 10 users.

In any event, many thanks for your help.

Cyberdesigner, Aug 14, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    This pertains to Build 10532, my apologies if some of this has been covered elsewhere.
    - 'Virtual Desktops' that are open, stay open after sign out, restart, clean start, etc.
    - 'Wheel' or 'Middle' clicking on window thumbnails or 'Desktop' thumbnails, while in Task View, closes them. (Not necessary to pin point the Close button.)
    - dragging windows to a new 'Desktop, of course, or to the '+New Desktop' button, or moving from right click options:

- not sure how many 'Desktops' you may have, but I have had 200 with one window open in each, without crashing Explorer.
    - Thumbnails in Task View remain live as with Taskbar thumbnails:

Edwin, Aug 28, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you Edwin. *Smile

Brink, Aug 29, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Tutorial updated to add OPTION SIX for Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316:

Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316 - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

1. Open and Use Task View for Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Task View

2. Disable/Uninstall Task View Virtual Desktop Feature

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable/Uninstall Task View Virtual Desktop Feature: I would like to disable Task View on the Taskbar AND render the hotkey combinaiton unusable. I have tried several registry edits that hide task view, however, the keystroke combination Windows Key + Control +D continue to function. Also, if there is a way to uninstall...
  3. Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop: After recent upgrade, when I hover over the virtual desktop, it no longer shows the desktop preview. Still shows the thumbnail but not the full preview. This was critical to my workflow, how do I re-enable this. Steps: Hover over the task view icon on the task bar. Thumbnails...
  4. Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop: After recent upgrade, when I hover over the virtual desktop, it no longer shows the desktop preview. Still shows the thumbnail but not the full preview. This was critical to my workflow, how do I re-enable this. Steps: Hover over the task view icon on the task bar. Thumbnails...
  5. Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View: Hi,I see a lot of users online get the option to change background for each virtual desktop inside task view.In my case, however, I don't get this option and wonder why? This seems to be a native feature now and according to windows update, I have the latest build.Can someone...
  6. Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View: Hi,I see a lot of users online get the option to change background for each virtual desktop inside task view.In my case, however, I don't get this option and wonder why? This seems to be a native feature now and according to windows update, I have the latest build.Can someone...
  7. Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows 10 Task View - please open apps in the same virtual desktop

Windows 10 Task View - please open apps in the same virtual desktop: I work by task not programI have a second TaskView where i do my time management and another where I do my workObviously I use Excel in both and I use frequent Excel sheets through the day.Only two remain fixed on the Time Management view, the rest should be on the work view,...
  9. Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View

Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View: Hello, I have read a number of support articles on this site and elsewhere, and there appear to be options missing from my context menu when I right-click on a virtual desktop in task view. [ATTACH] Compare to the image at this link, which has 5 total options in the...
  10. Task View/Virtual Desktops.

Task View/Virtual Desktops.: Hi everyone. I've been using the Task View feature a lot on my PC, and I was wondering if I could make the two desktops different from each other? For example. Having a desktop or 2 for school/work, and one for Gaming. With different shortcuts on the desktop. Different...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. open task view