Windows 10: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Discus and support Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; The reset is the last resort when you have already taken care of seeing a clean install go on since you have to start all over once again! Yet the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

The reset is the last resort when you have already taken care of seeing a clean install go on since you have to start all over once again! Yet the second upgrade in a row for the intent of a repair install will also knock things out as if you just saw a clean install where those programs and settings still need to be redone all over again!

Plus the second upgrade to repair will not see the same files but same folders as always packed up into the Windows.old folder. I found that out when the first upgrade came out buggy and gave the repair install a try to find it worked out but didn't back things up as seen the first time around. Fortunately the first Windows.old was left intact while the second Windows.old00 folder was created since the 10 installer wasn't able to overwrite the first.

Night Hawk, Sep 7, 2015
  2. Slugger Win User

Well I finally did a installation repair over night and it fixed a few things I was struggling with. Thanks for the guide!

Slugger, Sep 14, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help Slugger. *Smile

Brink, Sep 14, 2015
  4. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

I knew it could! *Roflmao2*Thumbs

When the first upgrade here came out problematic I had to resort to the second upgrade install to repair the first. Only back during that first week things were hectic as far as activation and reactivation went. It wasn't until later of course when the full clean install went I could actually get busy doing others things like enabling some of the new features after finding out which things would work on 10 as far as the newer versions for programs and would there be any device driver type issues.

When not ready or prepare to see everything wiped for a fresh start and need a fast repair of Windows this is the option that works most of the time. You just have to be sure to back things up from the Programs Files, Programs Files(x86) on the 64bit 10, and out of the user account sub folders since you may find them after in the Windows.old created. With important stuff that's easy to lose track off the best move prior to any type of install is to manually back things up to where you can verify they are in good shape before proceeding.

I ended up going for the second 2tb drive and that is now just over half full in only a few days! The other drive I had in was moved back to the external enclosure I can move back and forth to the second system for easy transfers as well as backing the lesser amount from there.

Night Hawk, Sep 14, 2015
  5. Slugger Win User
    What are we going to do when we have 10 terabyte drives? Imagine someone yelling I lost 10 terabytes of pictures!

Slugger, Sep 14, 2015
  6. Gee I'll take a 10tb drive any day of the week! The pair of 2tb drives are still far off from having enough local drive space available! *chuckle You have to back up the backup of the backup's backup just to get back up! (and running again naturally)

I can take any drive here and nuke it totally or have it quit and not even be at a loss with the exception of the drive and OS if any on it. That's one of the main advantages of investing in a custom build you may find out yourself at some point. The first thing to learn however which is far more important is how to maintain and fix things that can still be fixed. This type of Upgrade to Repair type of install is good when you are not in a position to simply to wipe a drive clean for a 100% totally fresh start but need to get the present installation working.

One classic example is having NeoDVD on the 7 side of the dual boot here and can't even install it on 10 without buying the same program only newer version all over again. The program is activated in much the same manner as Windows and you would need to buy it again if you don't uninstall it first to see the uninstall status preserved at the NeoDVD site before even trying it out on 10. And you only allowed to reactivate a few times only or get canceled out unlike Windows where you can reinstall on the same machine unlimited amounts of times once activated to that system.

Night Hawk, Sep 15, 2015
  7. trembuzz Win User
    As soon as I run this tool it starts installing W10 so do I have to create an ISO or just repair from that point?

trembuzz, Sep 18, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Hello trembuzz, *Smile

What tool are you referring to?

You'll need to do the steps exactly in the tutorial for it to work properly.

Brink, Sep 18, 2015
  9. trembuzz Win User
    I can't get Edge or any apps that connect vie Edge to recognise that I'm connected to a network yet I can use IE 11 no probs.
    The media creation tool starts installing right out of the gate without any option to "create" an ISO or USB. Will this repair install fix my problem do you think?

trembuzz, Sep 18, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 18, 2015
  11. I would advise to refrain from using Edge as the default browser if you are not seeing the two options screen appear for upgrade now or create media where you select the create media option. If you aren't using any other browser you can go in and pin IE 11 to the Start and task bar to open up Tools>Internet Options to click on the Default button to make IE the default browser if you haven't already. Then you should be able to see the options screen being referred to in Option Two Step #3 in the guide there.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade [​IMG]

I took the liberty of highlighting the option a bit so there won't be any mistake on which one to click on when wanting to either the usb media created, dvd burned, or save the "Windows.iso" file direct to a folder waiting to receive it. Here I save each download by the actual full name like "Windows 10 Pro x64.iso" for example. You can download each individually or opt for the combination 32bit/64bit iso which will be larger and require at least a 6gb or larger size flash drive since there are some flash drives that go up in 1gb increments while the 8gb is the most common. The combo iso generally run about 5.6gb on the drive.

As far as the apps that utilize Edge and not IE a lot has to do with Edge still being a kind of beta version for the new browser. MS tossed it in on 10 to give everyone a mandatory peak before 10 is retail sales only when you get the upgrade free for the time being. A later build will likely see Edge having become a full pledged browser while presently lacking and not reason enough even for a repair install but simply not to see it set as the default.

As a last resort simply adding on another substitute browser and seeing that set to default long enough to download 10 by way of the MC Tool would be a thought. That would allow you to bypass the immediate initiation of the upgrade sequence or should.

Night Hawk, Sep 18, 2015
  12. Slugger Win User
    Solved Reinstalling Microsoft Edge - Windows 10 Forums

Slugger, Sep 18, 2015
  13. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Hi Shawn,
    Thanks for this. I think you mentioned earlier this is unlikely to correct any program errors. Would this make solving my inability to uninstall WHS server connector unlikely. On all my other PCs it uninstalled fine and I was able to reinstall it and connect fine. I have tried everything with this one and no dice - error 2753.
    Thanks and best wishes,
    Mike.

Mike Farnham, Sep 22, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Mike, *Smile

It won't hurt anything to give it a try and see.

Brink, Sep 22, 2015
  15. Thanks for your speedy reply Shawn.
    I agree with you but bet I end up wiping the whole thing and doing a fresh install!
    Best wishes,
    Mike.

Mike Farnham, Sep 22, 2015
Thema:

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

1. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Similar Threads - Repair Install place

2. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  3. Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Impossible Repair Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: I try to repair my windows 10 but following procedure Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, after reboot appear this message: 0xC1+00202 - 0x30018 The installation failed in phase FIRST_BOOT with an error during the operation SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Please how...
  4. Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally: I am confused... After problems with the 2021-06 cumulative update for x64 machines, I had to uninstall the latest quality update. Now having different problems (no sound devices detected), I wanted to try an in-place/repair install. Using the Media Creation Tool, I...
  5. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Repair Install (in place upgrade) question: Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive which gets rid of bloatware as well. Im doing things differently this time though. It has a some useful software pre...
  6. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...
  7. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade ..error: I follow exactly these istructions Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade and i select to not update drivers etc.. and also if i select to update drivers etc.. but after reboot i have the error on image Please can you suggest me? Thank Hispa P.S. Secure boot is...
  8. Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade: Will a repair installor inplace upgrade remove any of my software? I have photoshop on my computer and have lost the cd, so Id rater not have it removed. Do you think this will happen?...
  9. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...: Yesterday I attempted a Repair Install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool as per the TenForums Tutorial but for some reason it all went pear-shaped… I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool (1803) and get the following screens:- “Getting a few things ready”...
  10. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: Hi , I want to do a repair install of windows 10 ( new 1607) with an in-place upgrade using DVD media ( .iso 1607 , engl/us ,all the same ) because of corrupted files although windows operation so far is good . sfc /scannow , command prompt > DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...