Windows 10: repair loop after most recent update - encrypted hard drive

Discus and support repair loop after most recent update - encrypted hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, would really appreciate some help with this problem! I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 installed and a whole-disk Veracrypt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TonyRigatoni, May 27, 2020.

1. repair loop after most recent update - encrypted hard drive

Hi all, would really appreciate some help with this problem! I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 installed and a whole-disk Veracrypt encryption. In the past, I have had issues booting correctly after updates, and I thought that I had disabled automatic updates, until the other morning I woke up to find my computer stuck in an automatic repair loop. These are the solutions I have tried so far i don't know a ton about computers, so please bear with my improper terminology etc:

1. ESC at startup, then select the proper veracrypt efi from the boot manager. this allowed me to enter my encryption key, but after successfully entering the key Windows went straight back into the repair loop.

2. in the command prompt after going through the veracrypt efi, entering bootrec /fixboot. this produced an access denied error that I don't know how to explain or fix

3. run Ubuntu on a bootable USB, install veracrypt, and attempt to mount the drive in the ubuntu-veracrypt. this prompts an error message with several possible errors listed incorrect password, incorrect PIM, incorrect hash, no valid volume found. i know that the password and PIM are correct, and the hash is set to auto-detect, so I'm assuming that's not the issue either.

Thanks so much!

:)

TonyRigatoni, May 27, 2020

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, May 27, 2020
  3. Automatic Repair loop after recent update

Thank you very much for ypur reply.

I tried the step and it managed to skip automatic repair and diagnostic loop.

Now I am in scanning and repairing drive loop with my system shuts down or restart at 50+% into the scan

My system notified me that it failed to boot error 0x000000

Andbrquested either i recover or set startup setting. I tried safe mode, but went into the scanning and repair loop again.

Thanks for your attention.

Cheers,

Boo

KanasaiKid, May 27, 2020
  4. repair loop after most recent update - encrypted hard drive

Hard drive auto repair loop

I have been using Windows 10 on my main computer for a while now and one day i decided i wanted to some routine maintenance on my computer using AVG Tuneup since they sent out a free trial to be used again.

Got to the defragmentation part. all i had to do was restart the computer and avg would schedule it. NOTHING IS WRONG.... with the hard drive... just a little check up.... now that i have done the schedule the computer has locked itself in a loop saying
    "preparing automatic repair" and then get stuck on some program that looks like a command prompt called winpeshl.exe and i cant touch it.then "repairing disk errors, this may take over an hour to complete". then it restarts the computer after it thinks its
    "done" and rinse and repeats that hole process over again.

i have tried loading the reinstallation media but it responds 2 ways.

1. it will load up the repair schedule first and i never see the usb

2. i try changing the boot order so the usb loads first... but that means the hard drive never loads and "locks"

Again. there is NOTHING wrong with this hard drive. but i'm stuck on a scheduled repair loop.

i really dont want to have to get another hard drive over THIS.

ReginaldHalifrax, May 27, 2020
Thema:

repair loop after most recent update - encrypted hard drive

1. repair loop after most recent update - encrypted hard drive - Similar Threads - repair loop recent

2. Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive: Split from this thread. I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Desktop. Yesterday when entering my pin to log in, I was unable to use any of the alphabet keys, only the numbers keys in my PIN.Took it to our local repair center and he said the system is encrypted and I need a 48...
  3. Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive: Split from this thread. I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Desktop. Yesterday when entering my pin to log in, I was unable to use any of the alphabet keys, only the numbers keys in my PIN.Took it to our local repair center and he said the system is encrypted and I need a 48...
  4. Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD after most recent updates

BSOD after most recent updates: So after installing the updates released today I keep getting a BSOD. It seems like the update its self is broken I have tried to install it twice both times windows boot looped after the install. I tried to use SFC and DISM from the boot menu but no luck. I managed to get...
  6. BSOD after most recent updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after most recent updates: So after installing the updates released today I keep getting a BSOD. It seems like the update its self is broken I have tried to install it twice both times windows boot looped after the install. I tried to use SFC and DISM from the boot menu but no luck. I managed to get...
  7. BSOD after most recent updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Issue with repair loop and resetting hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue with repair loop and resetting hard drive.: Alright, this might be a bit of a long post, but I am not really sure what the best course of action is here. I bought a Dell XPS 15 in the summer of 2020 and it has been working great. A few months ago I upgraded the storage from 256Gb to 1Tb. About a month after that I...
  9. Desktop hard drive wiped after most recent windows update

Desktop hard drive wiped after most recent windows update: Hi All, After the recent mid December 2018 windows update, upon restart I found my hard drive to be completely wiped, nothing left, no operating system. This is a 2016 HP desktop running an i7 with a 512 SSD drive. Any thoughts?...
  10. Automatic Repair loop after recent update

Automatic Repair loop after recent update: Hi, I am using Lenovo Y520 with OEM Windows 10. 3 days ago my system received an update. After i restarted, the system went into automatic repair and diagnostic loop. I tried all possible method: restore, delete updates, mirror image, previous version and startup repair....