Windows 10: Repair, recover, reset, bootrec not working

Discus and support Repair, recover, reset, bootrec not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I turned off my pc without properly shutting down and have not been able to boot into windows since. Using a windows 10 recovery usb ,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Advocatus, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Advocatus Win User

Repair, recover, reset, bootrec not working

Hi everyone, I turned off my pc without properly shutting down and have not been able to boot into windows since.

Using a windows 10 recovery usb , I have tried the following to no avail:
    1. Reset PC (Drive needs to be unlocked)
    2. Recover (There was a problem recovering your PC)
    3. Startup repair (error msg)
    4. Bootrec /rebuildbcd (error msg)
    5. Chkdsk /f (Didn't work)
    6. Checked disk attributes with diskpart and readonly is not marked.

I'm pretty much all out of ideas at this point. I could buy an external HDD and install windows on it and try to boot from there but I'm hoping there's something else I can try first.

:)

Advocatus, Nov 4, 2015
  2. HOY80Y Win User

Windows 10 won't boot, repair, reinstall or recover.

Hi,

Having a few problems suddenly with my laptop booting. It was previously windows 7 and performed the free 10 upgrade. The laptop now suddenly won't boot and goes straight into the automatic repair mode.

I have tried to repair, reset and recover windows but to no effect. The reset looks like it is working and then fails. The laptop is Toshiba and it gives me the option of using the HDD recovery to reset it back to factory defaults but again no joy, it says
    the partition is blank.

I have read other feeds and tried the following from command prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr - this runs successfully.

bootrec /fixboot - this is unsuccessful, says "does not contain recognized file system".

bootrec /scanos - Windows installations 0, but runs successfully.

bootrec /rebuildbcd - Windows installations 0, but runs successfully.

The laptop does not have the windows disc as the recovery was built onto the hard drive and I stupidly did not make a recovery disc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

HOY80Y, Nov 4, 2015
  3. (0xc000021a) Windows 10 crashes upon start up (BSOD)

Hi,

If you can get the drive to show integrity using the Maker's Diagnostics use these if

needed :

Boot with a Installation or Repair disc or USB drive - issue these from the Command

Prompt and hit ENTER after each.

C: <-- Windows drive letter and colon

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /scanos

bootrec /rebuildbcd

After the above you may need to run StartUp Repair (even 2 or 3 times)

Run Startup Repair in Windows 10

---------------------

Using EasyBCD often works when other methods do not. <-- if Bootrec did not help use this.

Translate the Windows 8/8.1 methods to Windows 10.

Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD (7, 8, & 8.1)

Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD

Recovering the Windows Bootloader (Vista, Windows 7, 8, & 8.1)

Recovering the Windows Bootloader

Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD (Vista, Windows 7, 8, &8.1)

Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD

After the above you may need to run StartUp Repair (even 2 or 3 times)

Run Startup Repair in Windows 10

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 4, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

You need a better Recovery environment

check out the link in my sig below

Kyhi, Nov 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Repair, recover, reset, bootrec not working - Similar Threads - Repair recover reset

2. Bootrec not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootrec not working?: I had updated my bios driver to a newer one on my gigabyte motherboard.. It went to the recovery page every time i booted the pc. I went to the cmd prompt after installing windows 11 on my USB driver. After running the scanos command my drive shows that windows is installed...
  3. Bootrec not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootrec not working?: I had updated my bios driver to a newer one on my gigabyte motherboard.. It went to the recovery page every time i booted the pc. I went to the cmd prompt after installing windows 11 on my USB driver. After running the scanos command my drive shows that windows is installed...
  4. My Pc Won't Reset, Recover, Repair, or Restore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Pc Won't Reset, Recover, Repair, or Restore.: Recently my pc started shutting down on its own and restarting randomly. It happened once, and then became more and more frequent. At first I could look my OS for about 2 mins and then it would freeze. Now I can't login at all. I can't even get past the startup. I tried...
  5. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: Hello recently my system got a BSOD while downloading something which led to corruption of system files, i was able to correct them using sfc/scannow and chkdsk /s /r , i can boot into windows normally but whenever i try to boot into windows recovery environment, i get the...
  6. Windows 10 will not repair, reset or recover...

Windows 10 will not repair, reset or recover...: Hi, Windows 10 will not repair, reset or recover... now when I try to open the laptop it starts "automatic repair" only to go to a black screen. not even the blue recovery screen. I try to enter the BIOS to no avail... I don't know what to do?!?! Please Help, Thanks...
  7. Stuck in Automatic Repair loop, bootrec /fixboot responds with "Access is denied", bootrec...

Stuck in Automatic Repair loop, bootrec /fixboot responds with "Access is denied", bootrec...: Hello everyone, So just for reference, this is a duplicate thread of this thread I posted yesterday that didn't get answered despite having over 150 views in a single day and around 26 people having the same or similar issues and questions. I decided to repost the thread,...
  8. "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...: This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."...
  9. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: I'm getting an odd issue where if I run either command, they don't run all the way through. bootrec /scanos doesn't tell me how many (if any) installations of Windows were found, and bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me it might take a while, but then quits after a few seconds with...
  10. Operating system not found, reset, recover and automatic repair don’t work.

Operating system not found, reset, recover and automatic repair don’t work.: I was on my laptop then I closed the lid then when I opened it again it said Operating system not found on a black screen. I shut the laptop opened it and it said error, I tried to reset, recover and automatic repair don’t work. Nothings working and it wont open. What can I...