Windows 10: Repair Storage Spaces 2-way-mirror

Discus and support Repair Storage Spaces 2-way-mirror in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Repair Storage Spaces 2-way-mirror I have problems with Storage Spaces and I hope someone have some ideas on what I can try to fix it. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HamstermanDK, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Repair Storage Spaces 2-way-mirror

Repair Storage Spaces 2-way-mirror

I have problems with Storage Spaces and I hope someone have some ideas on what I can try to fix it.

The situation:
    4 x 8TB HDDs in a 2-way-mirror
    One of the 8TB HDD failed and the data the drive was no longer available.
    I moved the 4 8TB drives from the Window Server 2019 to my Windows 10.
    The reason was I suspected that there is some faulty hardware in my server.
    In this process Windows 10 asked me to "upgrade the pool" which I did from the interface.

At this point in time I am alright thinking why a 2-way-mirror can be unavailable with only one drive failing.
    Anyways I proceed to add 3 x 3TB drives in order to repair the pool.
    The Windows 10 interface ask me to optimize the pool which I did it takes like 12 hours or so.
    Then I set the faulty 8TB to Retired and proceed to do a Repair-VirtualDisk.
    That takes around 10 hours.
    In this process I can see that the "used %" of the Retired goes down. All the way to 0.02% used.

This is where I have run out of ideas.
    Due to a series of very unfortunate incidents the data on these drives is extremely important to me.
    All I need is to read the data and then I can move it to another storage.

I have tried the follow 3rd party programs where it looks like I can salvage some of the data.
    * ufs explorer raid recovery
    * reclaime
    * minitool power data recovery
    * easeus data recovery
    It still seems to me that getting the Storage Pool online is within reach.

The below are different Powershell commands so you can see the setup.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName DataPool-Extra Repair-VirtualDisk
    Repair-VirtualDisk : Unspecified Error

Extended information:
    Element not found.

Activity ID: {f963416c-f15a-4b61-9eff-8950afa1f93b}
    At line:1 char:48
    + Get-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName DataPool-Extra Repair-VirtualDisk
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/...SFT_VirtualDisk [Repair-VirtualDisk], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 2,Repair-VirtualDisk

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-StorageJob
    Name IsBackgroundTask ElapsedTime JobState PercentComplete BytesProcessed BytesTotal
    ---- ---------------- ----------- -------- --------------- -------------- ----------
    DataPool-Extra-Repair True 00:15:17 Suspended 0 0 B 4 GB

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName DataPool-Extra Get-PhysicalDisk
    Number FriendlyName SerialNumber MediaType CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage Size
    ------ ------------ ------------ --------- ------- ----------------- ------------ ----- ----
    4 WDC WD80EFZX-68UW8N0 XXXXXNYY HDD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 7.28 TB
    2 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 WD-WMC1XXXXX315 Unspecified False OK Healthy Auto-Select 2.73 TB
    3 WDC WD80EFZX-68UW8N0 XXXXXN5Y HDD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 7.28 TB
    6 WDC WD80EFZX-68UW8N0 XXXXXVZY HDD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 7.28 TB
    5 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 WD-WMC1XXXXX256 Unspecified False OK Healthy Auto-Select 2.73 TB
    1 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 WD-WMC1XXXXX961 Unspecified False OK Healthy Auto-Select 2.73 TB
    WDC WD80EFZX-68UW8N0 XXXXXW9Y HDD False Lost Communication Warning Retired 7.28 TB

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName DataPool-Extra fl
    ObjectId : {1}\\XXXXXX\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_StoragePool.ObjectId="{1bbbef14-085b-11e8-b30b-806e6f6e6963}:SP:{88972dc6-b592-4484-be8b-3cfb76655f3d}"
    PassThroughClass :
    PassThroughIds :
    PassThroughNamespace :
    PassThroughServer :
    UniqueId : {88972dc6-b592-4484-be8b-3cfb76655f3d}
    AllocatedSize : 32003680370688
    ClearOnDeallocate : False
    EnclosureAwareDefault : False
    FaultDomainAwarenessDefault : PhysicalDisk
    FriendlyName : DataPool-Extra
    HealthStatus : Healthy
    IsClustered : False
    IsPowerProtected : False
    IsPrimordial : False
    IsReadOnly : False
    LogicalSectorSize : 512
    MediaTypeDefault : Unspecified
    Name :
    OperationalStatus : OK
    OtherOperationalStatusDescription :
    OtherUsageDescription :
    PhysicalSectorSize : 4096
    ProvisioningTypeDefault : Fixed
    ReadOnlyReason : None
    RepairPolicy : Parallel
    ResiliencySettingNameDefault : Mirror
    RetireMissingPhysicalDisks : Auto
    Size : 41004153438208
    SupportedProvisioningTypes : {Thin, Fixed}
    SupportsDeduplication : False
    ThinProvisioningAlertThresholds : {70}
    Usage : Other
    Version : Windows Server vNext
    WriteCacheSizeDefault : Auto
    WriteCacheSizeMax : 18446744073709551614
    WriteCacheSizeMin : 0
    PSComputerName :

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName DataPool-Extra fl
    ObjectId : {1}\\XXXXXX\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_VirtualDisk.ObjectId="{1bbbef14-085b-11e8-b30b-806e6f6e6963}:VD:{88972dc6-b592-4484-be8b-3cfb76655f3d}{415ab41d-007e-4a3d-b66d-42cd06f217ad}"
    PassThroughClass :
    PassThroughIds :
    PassThroughNamespace :
    PassThroughServer :
    UniqueId : 1DB45A417E003D4AB66D42CD06F217AD
    Access : Read/Write
    AllocatedSize : 15998753177600
    AllocationUnitSize : 1073741824
    ColumnIsolation : PhysicalDisk
    DetachedReason : None
    FaultDomainAwareness : PhysicalDisk
    FootprintOnPool : 32001801322496
    FriendlyName : DataPool-Extra
    HealthStatus : Unhealthy
    Interleave : 262144
    IsDeduplicationEnabled : False
    IsEnclosureAware : False
    IsManualAttach : False
    IsSnapshot : False
    IsTiered : False
    LogicalSectorSize : 512
    MediaType : Unspecified
    Name :
    NameFormat :
    NumberOfAvailableCopies :
    NumberOfColumns : 2
    NumberOfDataCopies : 2
    NumberOfGroups : 1
    OperationalStatus : No Redundancy
    OtherOperationalStatusDescription :
    OtherUsageDescription :
    ParityLayout :
    PhysicalDiskRedundancy : 1
    PhysicalSectorSize : 4096
    ProvisioningType : Fixed
    ReadCacheSize : 0
    RequestNoSinglePointOfFailure : False
    ResiliencySettingName : Mirror
    Size : 15998753177600
    UniqueIdFormat : Vendor Specific
    UniqueIdFormatDescription :
    Usage : Data
    WriteCacheSize : 0
    PSComputerName :

:)

HamstermanDK, Apr 11, 2020
  2. Mikey44 Win User

Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

Actually... no. If you plug out a mirror from a Storage Spaces mirror and plug into another Windows 10 machine, it will first warn you that a Storage Space is in trouble, but seconds later your plugged mirror is fully available. I just tried.
    Interesting enough, you can keep working and modifying your now "reduced resiliency" space. When you plug the missing drive back to your real Storage Spaces machine it gets in sync and back to normal.

I came here looking for some more experienced users having tried this before, but I see that it's a bit crazy and no one has tried it. So far, I'm starting to believe this is a great way to have an always updated roaming media storage.
    I wonder what would happen if the roaming media gets modified, it would be overwritten once back in the mirror?

Mikey44, Apr 11, 2020
  3. Any way to downgrade ver. of MS Storage spaces volume w/o data loss?

1. Install Windows 1607 & 1709 dual boot system
    2. Connect two free disks
    3. Boot into 1607
    4. Create storage pool, assign two free disks, create two-way mirror volume
    5. Copy data to new volume
    6. Reboot into 1709
    7. Upgrade your Storage Space pool to gain new features as MS suggests
    8. Reboot into 1607
    9. Your Storage Space configuration looks now as in the picture, volume is inaccessible
    10. Notice that doing step 7 was not the smartest idea, data are now accessible only from Windows 1709.

Question: Is it possible to simply revert Storage Spaces metadata back to version 1607? Answer: No. It is necessary to backup data, destroy upgraded pool, create new pool & mirror in Windows 1607, and restore data.

Is it so hard to understand what necros asks for?

muchomurka, Apr 11, 2020
  4. fdegrove Win User

Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

Hi,

The idea is to mirror storage space, not the OS.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Repair Storage Spaces 2-way-mirror - Similar Threads - Repair Storage Spaces

2. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  3. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  4. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  5. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  6. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror

error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror: I get an error message "No Capacity" in the Storage Spaces section of windows 10 with a mirrored storage space. The Storage Space is formatted in ReFS . Both drives are functioning put both drives in another computer . How can I repair this storage space ?...
  8. Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1

Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1: Setup: Windows 10 Pro updated to 20H2 1x 600GB HDD with OS Win 10 Pro, updated to 20H2 - all fine 2x 4TB HDD in RAID 1 two-way mirror using Windows Storage Space -ERROR All worked fine for 8 months, but while moving system to a new case, all of a sudden mytwo-way mirror...
  9. Storage Spaces Break Mirror

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Break Mirror: Hello, I have two mirrored disks as D:\, and lately windows has been telling me D:\ is full though it's not. I suspect this is because there are some errors on one of the disks in the pool that is reporting imminent failure. As it stands, very frequently I can't save...
  10. Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?: I'm hoping someone here might have experience with mirroring 2 drives in Windows 10. I'm reading How-to's but some of my basic questions remain unanswered. I have an SSD (C) used for the OS and loading apps and a 2TB drive that holds for all my files, images and videos,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Wwwwww.xxxxxvzy