Windows 10: Repair Win10 laptop system by USB-booting

Discus and support Repair Win10 laptop system by USB-booting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I fail to repair Win10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad by booting it with a USB. I ran "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows", and the results... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Larry3978, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Larry3978 Win User

Repair Win10 laptop system by USB-booting

I fail to repair Win10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad by booting it with a USB. I ran "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows", and the results show that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

After that, I clicked Startup Repair underAdvanced Options.

According to SRT,

Root cause found:
    ---------------------------
    Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.

Session details

System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0

Windows directory = C:\WINDOWS

AutoChk Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1

My laptop system has still been unfixed.

Please help... What shall I do next?

:)

Larry3978, Jul 28, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jul 28, 2020
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jul 28, 2020
  4. Ian2B Win User

Win10 System Repair Disk fails to boot

I've been reading various threads but haven't yet found an answer to this issue.

My Win10 desktop has, quite suddenly, stopped responding. It will boot to the desktop but Start, Cortana, Taskbar, everything is unavailable, despite various restarts.

I have an installation DVD which tells me that the only way to System Restore is to boot Windows but that it tries to repair start-up errors and changes nothing.

Having a Win10 laptop, I created a System Repair Disk from within Backup and Restore (Windows 7) which appeared to be fine but, when installed in the desktop it stops with the following:

Boot from CD/DVD

Boot from CD/DVD

Boot from CD/DVD

1. FD 1.44MB System Type-(13)

Non-System disk or disk error

Replace and press any key when ready

I have changed the DVD mode to EFI in the BIOS (further to another suggestion) but this has not resolved the situation.

Where has System Restore gone?

What else can I try?

Occasionally I can get the Run prompt (WIN-R) but if I enter any commands the system freezes once more!

I really don't want to have to re-install Windows - there are just too many programs that would then also need to be re-installed. Has anyone any practical suggests, please?

Ian

Ian2B, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Repair Win10 laptop system by USB-booting - Similar Threads - Repair Win10 laptop

2. win10 usb boot prob

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 usb boot prob: scenario : 1 formatted hd 240gig ready to receive win10 from usb 1 usb flash drive with bona fida win10pro for installation problem: boots to the 'generic' windows window...then...nothing no messages...nothing just the annoying 'generic' windows window would love a...
  3. Repair Win10 by booting it with a USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win10 by booting it with a USB: I fail to repair Win10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad by booting it with a USB. I ran "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows", and the results show that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". After that, I clicked Startup Repair...
  4. System Repair Disc Not Bootable in Win10

System Repair Disc Not Bootable in Win10: I am running Win 10 Pro 64bit version 1909. I used Control Panel, System and Security, Backup and Restore Windows 7 to create a system repair disc. That worked fine, no error messages, until I went to use it. I tried to boot my pc from the CD drive where the repair disc was...
  5. Booted my unmountable boot volume winfows pc from a usb repair tool and the repair system...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booted my unmountable boot volume winfows pc from a usb repair tool and the repair system...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Bambuinulos [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fwitg0/booted_my_unmountable_boot_volume_winfows_pc_from/
  6. booting Windows repair from usb

booting Windows repair from usb: I have had some bios problems since the last windows big update. Now the computer (asus) will not reboot. I have created a usb to reboot or repair the system. I have gone in to bios settings and selected usb boot option. I am still brought back to the repair screen...
  7. Win10 Repair Loop - No USB Options available

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Repair Loop - No USB Options available: Occurence: I logged in Wednesday morning and went through my usual rounds of work related tasks. I walked away from the PC with Outlook, Excel and IE running. Went out for coffee, was gone maybe 2 hrs. Came back and of course the monitors had gone to sleep, although the...
  8. Win10 1607 System Repair Disk Boots Without Keyboard/Mouse

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win10 1607 System Repair Disk Boots Without Keyboard/Mouse: I created a working repair disk in Windows 10 Pro 1511 back in December, that worked then. Just tested it again and it still works. I take regular images, so I like to boot into recovery once in a while to ensure my images are accessible. So to ensure that I am current, I...
  9. How to repair a win10 ssd install with no driver for usb repair ?

How to repair a win10 ssd install with no driver for usb repair ?: I have two Windows 10 installations on my PC. Primary and temp. The primary installation cannot boot with error "The boot configuration data file is missing some required information ". This happened aftter I wiped out another third disk which was the PC's original disk...
  10. Inserted win10 boot USB flash drive to working Win10 system - problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Inserted win10 boot USB flash drive to working Win10 system - problems: OK, maybe this was really stupid. I had a 32GB flash drive formatted with the Win10 media upgrade image on it (bootable). I was going to use it to upgrade another system but in the meantime I wanted to copy some programs between two systems. I inserted the flash drive into my...