Windows 10: Repair Windows by reinstalling

Discus and support Repair Windows by reinstalling in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 when the upgrade was free. Now my laptop is running very slow and I want to start from a fresh install, but I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ed57gmc, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Ed57gmc Win User

Repair Windows by reinstalling

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 when the upgrade was free. Now my laptop is running very slow and I want to start from a fresh install, but I don't have any media to install from, since it was a free upgrade download. My son bought Windows 10 home to reinstall his laptop. Can I use the same usb to reinstall my laptop without loosing the info that it is registered to me already? I don't want to have to buy another copy of Windows if I don't have to.

:)

Ed57gmc, Feb 27, 2020
  2. MrGenius Win User

[Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Repair Windows by reinstalling :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Feb 27, 2020
  3. Reinstall Windows?

You'll need to reinstall windows. just use repair *Toast :toast:

I'd go with 32 bit, myself, because of compatibility with software, and games..

SimFreak47, Feb 27, 2020
  4. vincec Win User

Solution: Repair or reinstall WPT

I had the same problem with WPA disappearing on startup. Tracked it down to a conflict between my installation of the ADK and SDKs. Specifically, Microsoft.Performance.Core4.Data.dll could not be loaded which I could see using fuslogvw.

The solution was to reinstall the Windows Performance Toolkit using the MSI in the ISO.

1. Download the ISO from here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=2033686
    2. Try repairing WPT by going to "[ISO Drive Mount]:\Installers\WPTx64-x86_en-us.msi", right clicking, and selecting Repair. This didn't work for me because I didn't have WTP installed, but it might for you so it's worth a try. If it doesn't work continue to the next step.
    3. Run the MSI mentioned above. This installed WPT for me and WPA was able to run again.
    4. If that doesn't work then try installing WPA from the Windows Store.

I had also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the SDK and repairing Visual Studio, but neither of those things worked.

My sources tell me that the conflict between various installers is being ironed out so this shouldn't be such a pain in the future.

vincec, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Repair Windows by reinstalling - Similar Threads - Repair reinstalling

2. Cannot open or reinstall apps like Photos or Store on Windows 11, considering repair...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open or reinstall apps like Photos or Store on Windows 11, considering repair...: I have attempted reinstallation of these apps on powershell as admin and got no results. Only thing i haven't tried that I have come across is a repair install. I am questioning if I should do this and if it would mess anything up. Additionally, I am wondering if I should...
  3. Cannot open or reinstall apps like Photos or Store on Windows 11, considering repair...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open or reinstall apps like Photos or Store on Windows 11, considering repair...: I have attempted reinstallation of these apps on powershell as admin and got no results. Only thing i haven't tried that I have come across is a repair install. I am questioning if I should do this and if it would mess anything up. Additionally, I am wondering if I should...
  4. How do I repair or reinstall windows when I get a stop code error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I repair or reinstall windows when I get a stop code error: My pc that runs windows 10 randomly started giving me a stop code error and I am unable to repair it, I am even unable to boot in safe mode or use any of the other start up settings available in trouble shooting, additionally I am unable to use any of the other...
  5. How do I repair or reinstall windows when I get a stop code error

How do I repair or reinstall windows when I get a stop code error: My pc that runs windows 10 randomly started giving me a stop code error and I am unable to repair it, I am even unable to boot in safe mode or use any of the other start up settings available in trouble shooting, additionally I am unable to use any of the other...
  6. How do I repair or reinstall windows when I get a stop code error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. To fix Windows error I need Repair Mode or BIOS to allow reinstall --but I have Acer Black...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    To fix Windows error I need Repair Mode or BIOS to allow reinstall --but I have Acer Black...: My Windows 11 has a corruption causing "environmental error" message if I try to CMD anything like SFC scan, or most functions that run as administrator. I can't reset PC or many start up functions either. Normally I would just fix in Recovery Mode, or BIOS w/Media Creation...
  8. To fix Windows error I need Repair Mode or BIOS to allow reinstall --but I have Acer Black...

To fix Windows error I need Repair Mode or BIOS to allow reinstall --but I have Acer Black...: My Windows 11 has a corruption causing "environmental error" message if I try to CMD anything like SFC scan, or most functions that run as administrator. I can't reset PC or many start up functions either. Normally I would just fix in Recovery Mode, or BIOS w/Media Creation...
  9. Windows needing repair/reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows needing repair/reinstall: I restarted my pc due to a program not behaving correctly, and then the system wouldnt boot properly, i tried to reinstall Windows both by keeping files and by wiping, but theres too little space on the drive i have for Windows to reinstall, can someone tell me how i can...
  10. Windows needing repair/reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows needing repair/reinstall: I restarted my pc due to a program not behaving correctly, and then the system wouldnt boot properly, i tried to reinstall Windows both by keeping files and by wiping, but theres too little space on the drive i have for Windows to reinstall, can someone tell me how i can...