Windows 10: Repairing external hard drive

Discus and support Repairing external hard drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all I store all of my photos and music on an external hard drive. Recently some photos didn't copy across properly - I deleted them but the hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by espritlibre, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Repairing external hard drive

Hi all I store all of my photos and music on an external hard drive. Recently some photos didn't copy across properly - I deleted them but the hard drive is stuck cancelling the action and Windows is asking me to repair the drive with the message below: "We have found errors on this drive. To prevent data loss, repair this drive now." At the moment I can still use the drive without issues, but obviously I'd like to fix the errors if possible. My question is, will repairing the drive risk losing the rest of my data? Will Windows ask me before deleting corrupting files? I have 16 years worth of photos and videos on there, far too much to copy across to my main computer to save - I think I'd need to get a whole new hard drive to back it all up. I am using Windows 10.

:)

espritlibre, Aug 9, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 9, 2021
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Aug 9, 2021
  4. Repairing external hard drive

Repair an external hard drive connected to Windows 10

Hello Jeff,

You may try running Disk Error Checking and the CHKDISK tool to help you repair your external hard disk. Both tools are designed to fix errors on your disk. Make sure that you're signed in as administrator before performing
    these steps:

Run Disk Error Checking

• Plug in your external hard disk.
    • Open File Explorer by pressing the
      Windows keys button + E
    • Go to This PC.
    • Right-click your external hard disk under Devices and drives.
    • Select Properties
    • Go to Tools tab.
    • Under Error checking, click Check.
    • If prompted, click Yes or enter the administrator password.
    • Click Scan drive > Repair drive.
    • Wait for the process to finish.
    • The scanning process may take a while depending on the size of your external hard disk and the specifications of your PC.

Run the CHKDSK tool

• Plug in your external hard disk.
    • Click the Start button.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt screen, type the command below:
      • chkdsk <drive letter>: /f
    • <driver letter> would be the letter assigned to your external hard disk.
      • For example: chkdsk E: /f
    • Do take note of the spaces between the command.
    • Again, the scanning process duration depends on the size of the external hard disk and your PC's specifications.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, you may “mark it as an answer” to help those who are facing the same problem.

Devlin Sco, Aug 9, 2021
Thema:

Repairing external hard drive

1. Repairing external hard drive - Similar Threads - Repairing external hard

2. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive: I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, burnt power supply. I was updating to most current Win 10 and the files got corrupted at version 1909 and it won't boot. In Win PE recovery mode I've tried system restore, system reset, advanced...
  3. "Repair" external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Repair" external drive: I was downloading a file attached to an email and Windows 10 told me it could not access my external drive. It suggested I "repair" the drive. How do I do that? Any helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Terrance Church...
  4. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  5. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  6. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  7. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  8. How to repair external hard drive that has errors that need repairing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to repair external hard drive that has errors that need repairing: Hello, I scanned my 2 TB external hard drive and it was found to have errors. The box said errors were found and to close the box and repair them. It doesn't say how to do this. This hard drive registers as Drive N on my PC. I am trying to copy the files on this drive to a...
  9. External hard drive

External hard drive: How can I open the contents of my exteral G-drive USB on my windows 10 HP laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/6d746bbd-2b6d-42d5-9112-955e1ed8bcb5
  10. external hard drives

external hard drives: I have two external hard drives I used on two different computers. On both computers I backed up all information onto the external hard drives before installing windows 10 on both computers. I was running windows 7 on both computers before the installation. On both computers...