Windows 10: Repairing registry errors?

Discus and support Repairing registry errors? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have used Glary Utilities for years. It finds a few registry errors and seems to do no harm. Today I downloaded Avira System Speedup. It found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Toller, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Toller Win User

Repairing registry errors?

I have used Glary Utilities for years. It finds a few registry errors and seems to do no harm.

Today I downloaded Avira System Speedup. It found 3147 registry errors and 22826 junk files.
    I ran Glary and it found 11 registry errors.

Could it possibly be safe to let Avira clean up all the errors it claims to have found, or is that a potential disaster?

Thanks much.

:)

Toller, Nov 9, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Registry repair

Hi Bill, Glad to Help!

DaveM121, Nov 9, 2016
  3. Registry repair

Thanks for your response. It confirmed my suspicions. And I agree, Norton's seems to be the best of all those I have tried.

Yours

BillP

BillPellegrini, Nov 9, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

That could be a potential disaster.

Most of those errors will be of a trivial nature, if they are real at all. The problem is that detection of registry errors is by no means an exact science and registry cleaners must make numerous guesses. Sometimes they guess wrong, with unpredictable results.

LMiller7, Nov 9, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    The registry is basically a text file so cleaning does nothing but get it wrong you end up with a none working PC. For files uncleaner is free and the best

Samuria, Nov 9, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Rephrasing an old quote: keep your enemies close and your registry editors closer.

RolandJS, Nov 9, 2016
  7. Slugger Win User
    I disagree. Cleaning registry your just asking for trouble. Just leave it alone. Another old tech saying. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Slugger, Nov 9, 2016
  8. Toller Win User

I guess I will pass.*Redface

I deleted the Avira and purchased Bitdefender. It also has an optimization system. Not sure if I want to go near it.

Toller, Nov 10, 2016
  9. TrustMe Win User
  10. thekelt Win User
    Sorry, I have to disagree with you. I've found computers so jammed up with junk they can't operate properly. Cleaning out the registry and also defragging it can do wonders. However, I do agree with everyone that it can be a potentially dangerous procedure. I've found Ccleaner does a fair job but is hardly complete. Running Uncleaner as backup helps with junk files but I note it fails to clean Win 10 system junk, which Ccleaner will do. I find Fix-it which is a fairly inexpensive program helps keep my PC's perform better, and does a deeper registry clean yet safe, as I've been using it for several years. 36 years working with computers has taught me a lot, but yet I can still get myself in trouble if not careful, and I've made plenty of boo-boo's getting here. Although I'm quite comfortable editing the registry manually, I try to avoid it if a more automatic approach is available. So think things through first, but telling people to not clean the registry is like telling people not to change the oil in their car, IMO. Cheers.

thekelt, Nov 11, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    In XP, registry was read sequentially, line by line so cleaning and defragging it did help, Things have changed since then, I believe with Vista but certainly since W7 Sp1.

CountMike, Nov 11, 2016
  12. prikker Win User
    You can clean the registry with CCleaner. It offers a registry backup.

More about the registry: Whats the Point?

prikker, Nov 11, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

Five things I don't discuss anymore, with friends or strangers:
    1)religion
    2)politics
    3)best anti virus
    4)best browser
    5)usage of registry cleaners

That said, if you do anything on or to your system, you are not too sure about, just make a system image backup beforehand, make sure your recovery disk works, and then have a good old time, testing, trying and doing what you want to your system. You can, then, always go back then.
    This is the best way to learn(by trial & error).
    I used to test different System Optimizing suites and their betas, and nuked my many, many times, but could always restore, by reimaging.

So my advice to you, get Macrium Reflect, learn how to image & reimage, and become proficient at it, then just set aside some time, and have fun.

Cliff S, Nov 11, 2016
  14. CountMike New Member
    I may have a squeaky clean Registry but all CCleaner ever finds is just few entries (10 or less) left over from Server side on internet and eventual .lnk leading to nowhere that Revo missed during program uninstallation or that I made for a portable program.
    Right now I have a problem with ADW Cleaner which finds one registry entry but I can't find it. CCleaner and few other ones never caught them either.
    Keep in mind that my system went from W7 thru 8 and 8.1 and all insider versions of W10 so a great bunch of useless entries should be in it but none of those registry "cleaners" found anything wrong nor have I seen any performance deterioration.

CountMike, Nov 11, 2016
  15. RolandJS Win User
    Full image OS partition backups onto external media may be a little safer than System Restore Points.

RolandJS, Nov 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Repairing registry errors? - Similar Threads - Repairing registry errors

2. how to repair registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to repair registry: how to repair registry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-repair-registry/f54f86e3-1f26-4025-9a94-db63de51a39b
  3. how to repair registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to repair registry: how to repair registry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-repair-registry/f54f86e3-1f26-4025-9a94-db63de51a39b
  4. how to repair registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD errors, corrupt registry, and automatic repair loop

BSOD errors, corrupt registry, and automatic repair loop: Hello,Recently I've been encountering a lot of BSOD errors, all with the error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I can't pin down a specific trigger for it, and it happens even when my PC is under light load just browsing the internet, playing videos, etc.. It used to be...
  6. BSOD errors, corrupt registry, and automatic repair loop

BSOD errors, corrupt registry, and automatic repair loop: Hello,Recently I've been encountering a lot of BSOD errors, all with the error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I can't pin down a specific trigger for it, and it happens even when my PC is under light load just browsing the internet, playing videos, etc.. It used to be...
  7. BSOD errors, corrupt registry, and automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. onedrive registry repair

onedrive registry repair: I have Windows 10, first installed as upgrade from Windows 8. Several years ago, due to security concerns, I wanted to remove OneDrive from my pc. Finding no online guidance, I stupidly removed all registry keys relating to OneDrive. I am an idiot!Now I want to use OneDrive,...
  9. does a repair-install fix the registry?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    does a repair-install fix the registry?: ...or just files? Thanks. 177695
  10. registry repair

registry repair: Looking for a registry scanner that checks and repairs the Window 10/Microsoft programs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-repair/80aca8a6-5e84-4589-b70d-38345be2272c