Windows 10: Repated BSOD (ndis.sys) - Often triggered by Windows Updates

Discus and support Repated BSOD (ndis.sys) - Often triggered by Windows Updates in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been experiencing BSODs on my ASUS U56E laptop over the last ~1 year that used to be fairly intermittent but have gotten much more problematic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by nblarson, Feb 23, 2017.

1. nblarson Win User

Repated BSOD (ndis.sys) - Often triggered by Windows Updates

I've been experiencing BSODs on my ASUS U56E laptop over the last ~1 year that used to be fairly intermittent but have gotten much more problematic (boot loops) as of late. These all seem to be related to driver issues with my network adapter(s), with ndis.sys tending to be the main culprit. Often I've been able to get around these boot loop issues with hack-ish solutions (disabling various network adapters, rolling back drivers, updating to manufacturer drivers, etc.), but inevitably the BSODs will return - especially when Windows is trying to update. This morning, I was stuck in an IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL (ndis.sys) BSOD loop until I booted in safe mode and ran DSIM. Was able to successfully boot normally until I tried to run Windows update - more ndis.sys BSODs and Windows eventually rolled back to the previous version.

I'm currently running Windows 10 Home (64 bit, Version 1511, OS Build 10586.753), 6 GB RAM. I can pull up additional specs if necessary. Below is a DropBox link with minidumps from my BSODs this morning prior to the Windows update fiasco:

Dropbox - BSOD

Thanks in advance! Happy to provide additional details as necessary.

Edit: Dump file attached

:)

nblarson, Feb 23, 2017
  2. cw003 Win User

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (ndis.sys) BSOD happens often

Thank you ZigZag3143,

I will try removing VB.

cw003, Feb 23, 2017
  3. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (ndis.sys) BSOD happens often

This was Related to VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver. I would remove VB and use hyper-v or re-install VB

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 23, 2017
  4. lifetec Win User

lifetec, Feb 23, 2017
  5. nblarson Win User
    nblarson, Feb 23, 2017
  6. lifetec Win User
    One of the dumpfiles blames
    Code: BugCheck A, {8, 2, 0, fffff80247cedcdf} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for covpnv64.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for covpnv64.sys Probably caused by : covpnv64.sys ( covpnv64+2033 )[/quote] A few mention ndis.sys.
    So it seems you are right it could be network related.

covpnv64 Thu Mar 22 21:33:58 2012
    Driver Description: F5 Networks VPN Adapter
    Update to a newer/windows 10 compatible driver or remove/uninstall it.

Other older drivers
    HECIx64 Wed Oct 20 01:33:43 2010
    Driver Description: Intel Management Engine Interface
    Driver Update Site: Drivers & Software

atkwmiacpi64 Wed May 25 13:04:09 2011
    Driver Description: ATK WMIACPI Utility
    Driver Update Site: Official Support | ASUS Global

iaStorA Mon Oct 28 22:15:26 2013
    Driver Description: Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver
    Driver Update Site: Drivers & Software

ScpVBus Sun May 05 23:31:26 2013
    Driver Description: Scarlet.Crush Productions Scp Dual Shock 3 Virtual Bus Driver
    Driver Update Site: XInput Wrapper for DS3 and Play.com USB Dual DS2 Controller

lifetec, Feb 24, 2017
  7. Theres a big event log file with many many errors. A quite old Windows Installation too. I recommend a fresh & clean Installation.

BSODHunter, Feb 26, 2017
  8. nblarson Win User

The F5 Networks VPN Adapter looks like it may have been the culprit so far. I removed these (they may have been residual installations for an older version of the VPN client that did not support Win 10) and was finally able to update Win 10. I'm going to start putting it through some standard usage to see if this is truly resolved. If things start to deteriorate, I may go the fresh installation route.

Thanks!

nblarson, Feb 26, 2017
  9. Is there any news or did you fix the problem?

BSODHunter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Repated BSOD (ndis.sys) - Often triggered by Windows Updates - Similar Threads - Repated BSOD ndis

2. Keystrokes often trigger unwanted actions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keystrokes often trigger unwanted actions: For many months the lower left of the keyboard keys trigger ‘something’ I know very well I DID NOT SELECT & certainly did not intentionally trigger. I say ‘lower left’ which seems often but it may NOT be limited to that part of the keyboard. It has gotten worse over time and...
  3. Keystrokes often trigger unwanted actions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keystrokes often trigger unwanted actions: For many months the lower left of the keyboard keys trigger ‘something’ I know very well I DID NOT SELECT & certainly did not intentionally trigger. I say ‘lower left’ which seems often but it may NOT be limited to that part of the keyboard. It has gotten worse over time and...
  4. Keystrokes often trigger unwanted actions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Getting BSOD often.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting BSOD often.: i am getting BSOD very frequently than I used to, as never! Running Win10 uptodate, Sony FZ21Z Vaio. DuoCore, 3Gb, 300gb hd. I have no idea why this is happening all of a sudden so frequently now! Please see pic. Thanks. [IMG]...
  6. BSOD with no obvious trigger

BSOD with no obvious trigger: I've been getting Blue Screens of Death lately without any apparent trigger. They're always DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL but my PC reboots before I'm able to write down all the BSOD details. I've tried looking through the Event Viewer log, but I have neither the...
  7. BSOD L1C63x64.sys

BSOD L1C63x64.sys: Heya guys, this is my first post here *Smile. I just had like 3 or 4 BSODs in these last two days, never had any. I just updated my Atheros 8151 PCI-e driver from Network adapter->properties->update driver. I'm not sure if it is the cause, so I used the tool and attached...
  8. BSOD: DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATON (Windows Update Triggered)

BSOD: DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATON (Windows Update Triggered): Hello there, Up until recently I've had no hiccups with Windows 10 (Enterprise). Unfortunately lately I've had to manually disable the Windows Update Service as otherwise a non-optional update seems to automatically get pushed through and triggers a BSOD with the...
  9. wdf01000.sys BSOD

wdf01000.sys BSOD: Hey, this is more of a question. My keyboard has been malfunctioning due to liquid damage, so to disable it I installed an incompatible keyboard/touchpad driver intentionally. The day after, I've been getting wdf01000.sys BSOD errors during startup, which brings me to a...
  10. BSOD tdr_failure_igdkmd64.sys

BSOD tdr_failure_igdkmd64.sys: I have been encountering this error frequently when running games, mostly World of Tanks and the World of Warships beta test. I ALWAYS get this error whenever I accidentally bump the windows key on my laptop in game. If I am at the port or garage screen with all my ships,...
Tags: