Windows 10: repeatable Ethernet death when shutting down with WiFi connected

Discus and support repeatable Ethernet death when shutting down with WiFi connected in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; without fail, when i am connected to a WiFi AP away from the home office, whether ethernet is connected as well or not\*, when the computer comes back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/WhiteRau, Nov 6, 2019.

1. repeatable Ethernet death when shutting down with WiFi connected

without fail, when i am connected to a WiFi AP away from the home office, whether ethernet is connected as well or not\*, when the computer comes back up, Ethernet flat out does not work properly for any application DESPITE being able to ping out to the network (LAN or WAN). requires a reboot every. damn. time. for the thing to snap out of whatever the !@#$ is going on and behave properly. this is a complete PITA. anyone know what is going on? NONE of the command line tools will work to wake it up or reset the Ethernet NIC. WiFi works fine, but not Ethernet. in fact, when issuing a simple ipconfig /all the IPv4 section of the Ethernet NIC isn't even listed! i am getting sick of having to fire up the machine only to have to immediately reboot it so i can reconnect to the LAN so that applications/browsers can see the network i can ping from the get-go.

the final weirdness: if i turn the WiFi off and THEN shutdown... no problems when it comes back up. but who does that? it's an extra step and when you're running from client to client, you don't think of it. fully irritating that i can figure out what's going on here.

\* i run dual networks. yes, you can do that. no, it isn't the problem. same issue regardless of 1 or 2.

TL;DR: Ethernet dies if you shutdown with WiFi on and connected. WHY???

submitted by /u/WhiteRau
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/WhiteRau, Nov 6, 2019
  2. srdavis Win User

Make Windows 10 connect/disconnect to WiFi based on Ethernet connection status

Steps:

1. Go to Control Panel\ All Control Panel Items\ Network and Sharing Center > click on 'Change adapter settings' then use the 'alt button' to show menus and select Advanced Settings...
    2. Under Connections section, select Ethernet, and use the arrows to the right to move Ethernet above WiFi.
    3. Click OK.

Windows will now prefer the Ethernet over the WiFi for connecting to the internet. This should apply for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

srdavis, Nov 6, 2019
  3. Leveller Win User
    Setting up a wifi repeater woes - all advice appreciated!

First off, setting up a wifi repeater is one of the most ridiculously painful experiences I have ever had with tech hardware.

The needs:

... to be able to repeat the wifi output of my Netgear DG834N v1 ADSL/router to the upper floor of my house through the Edimax wireless 300M Range Extender (EW-7416APn v2). To enable my iPad2, 3DS, laptop and anything else that roams to maintain connection and not suffer dropouts.

The questions:

1. How do I know that the roaming devices are using the repeated signal from the Edimax extender and not just grasping on to the weak signal from the DG834N downstairs?

2. Some advice on the net suggest the router and the extender share the same SSID, which seems logical. However some suggest that the router and extender need to be on different SSIDs - but if this were the case surely the devices would only connect to the same SSID and ignore the other SSID?

3. If they use different SSIDs will the devices automatically pick the strongest signal and switch to whichever SSID that is?

4. Some advice suggests using the same channel number for both router and extender, which seems logical. Some advice suggests using different channel numbers for the router and extender - if using the same channel number, does this create too much data and make the connection worse?

5. If using different channel numbers, will the roaming devices automatically choose the right channel number based on connection strength?

6. While using the program WirelessMon I can see both the router and extender and their respective signal strengths, channel numbers and SSIDs - but there is no way of telling if the repeater is in fact repeating the routers signal - is there any software that will show that?

7. Is there any one trusted source for setting up a wifi repeater?

8. Will my hair grow back?

Leveller, Nov 6, 2019
  4. repeatable Ethernet death when shutting down with WiFi connected

Windows 10 No Longer Connects to Ethernet and WiFi

This week brought Win10 ver 1903 and I can no longer get WiFi to connect if the ethernet cable is plugged in. If I boot with ethernet, manually trying to connect WiFi silently fails. If I boot without ethernet, WiFi is automatically connected yet drops
    if I plug in the ethernet cable. Both the WiFi and the ethernet work fine by themselves, just not at the same time so I don't think it is a driver problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

PrestonClark4, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

repeatable Ethernet death when shutting down with WiFi connected

1. repeatable Ethernet death when shutting down with WiFi connected - Similar Threads - repeatable Ethernet death

2. system shuts down repeatedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system shuts down repeatedly: Hello! I hope you are doing well, I am running to this issue while I use my pc or when ever it is idle it just shuts down every after few hours or less. please help me I can't find where the issue at. Thank you!...
  3. system shuts down repeatedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system shuts down repeatedly: Hello! I hope you are doing well, I am running to this issue while I use my pc or when ever it is idle it just shuts down every after few hours or less. please help me I can't find where the issue at. Thank you!...
  4. No wifi and no connection when connected to ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No wifi and no connection when connected to ethernet: Hello, I feel like I've tried everything I've found on here but I'm sure there's a fix. I have an ASUS K73E that after updating from Windows 7 to 10 is no longer connecting to the internet. I've tried toggling F2 and no wifi. I'm currently plugged in to the ethernet cable and...
  5. Ethernet connection on and off with wifi repeater

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet connection on and off with wifi repeater: Hello, this forum is my last hope. In order to work from home I want to connect the work PC upstairs with a wifi repeater Wireless-N Wifi Repeater. I get internet signal, however it is intermittent and it does not last more than 20 seconds. The network adapter LED also...
  6. Blue Screen Of Death when connecting to WiFi, plugging/unplugging ethernet, or modifying...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Of Death when connecting to WiFi, plugging/unplugging ethernet, or modifying...: Hello, I have a Lenovo ideapad 510 running Windows 10 64bit. Every time I try one of the following it blue screens with a "DPC Watchdog Violation Message" WiFi, plugging/unplugging ethernet, or modifying driver settings in device manager. I opened the dump file and saw...
  7. Windows shuts down repeatedly

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows shuts down repeatedly: I'm running Windows 10 Pro, build version 19041.450. And it keeps repeatedly shutting down spontaneously. I've run various anti-virus and spyware programs. And system file check as administrator. Plus checked all driver updates. I'm using the hot spot in my iPhone XS Max to...
  8. Connection to wifi keeps getting shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Connection to wifi keeps getting shut down: I installed Windows 10 with bootcamp on a MacBook Pro 2017 (16go RAM, Intel i7, High Sierra 10.13). It worked perfectly until yesterday when the wifi started disconnecting on its own every x minutes. It started cutting more and more frequently and then saying "can't connect...
  9. Shutting down windows 10 when connect to wifi

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Shutting down windows 10 when connect to wifi: My pc is acer 574G, 5th gen, i5 (lap top) My pc was shutting down automatically after few minutes connected to personal wifi network since yesterday. What can be the reason ? Virus ? also Incidentally found a virus,(image attached). Is this virus cause the my problem or...
  10. Repeated crashes on shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Repeated crashes on shut down: Hi I have a Windows 10 Pro X64 setup on a Asus Z-170A that has been slow to shut down for a while now. It MAY have started after the RS 5 install but that was a while ago. Anyway, I saw several examples of crashes in the System event log. Here is the latest one from...