Windows 10: Repeated Blue Screen of Death, cannot reset PC

Discus and support Repeated Blue Screen of Death, cannot reset PC in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, While I was working on my Windows 10 PC, writing in a Word Document, I was suddenly met with a Blue Screen of Death, without any other issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Nathan1123, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Repeated Blue Screen of Death, cannot reset PC

Hello,

While I was working on my Windows 10 PC, writing in a Word Document, I was suddenly met with a Blue Screen of Death, without any other issues or warnings leading up to it. I attempted to restart the PC, but every time I do I immediately get another Blue Screen of Death. This appears to not be caused by any action on my part, but rather it seems to depend on the amount of time Windows is running roughly ~1 min. The Stop Code for the Blue Screen of Death changes each time, switching between UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP and WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR. Sometimes, the Blue Screen of Death seems to be unable to finish its "Collection of Error information", but freezes at 0% until I do a hard reboot.

Some short reading online says that these two stop codes indicate two completely different issues, so I'm not sure why they are both happening at the same time. An UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP implies a corrupted driver, so a reset of Windows should fix that. The WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR however suggests a hardware failure; however, my experience seems to suggest that it cannot possibly be a hardware problem as I explain below.

I attempted to reset the PC, to preserve my files and delete all apps and reset all settings. However, roughly one minute into the reset process the Blue Screen of Death happens anyway, causing the reset process to abort. My files are not backed up from this PC, I cannot afford to do a reset that will delete them.

Also, my PC is a dual boot with Ubuntu 16 installed alongside Windows 10. I am currently writing this post from the Ubuntu side, which has not crashed at all, and thus proves that the hardware of the PC is not causing the issue.

What do I do?

Nathan

:)

Nathan1123, Oct 31, 2020
  2. Ryan Pag Win User

Blue screen of death issue

Hi Malcolm,

Blue screen of death error can be caused either by hardware failure or software compatibility. To help you resolve the blue screen of death issue, we would like to get more information:

• Please provide the complete stop error message that you are getting.
    • Were there any changes made prior to the issue?

We recommend following the troubleshooting steps in the article:
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Should you need further help, you're always welcome to post back.

Ryan Pag, Oct 31, 2020
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Repeated Blue Screen of Death

Hello,

This erratic behavior of Windows 10 may have risen from the recent update itself. For us to help you with your concern, we suggest that you perform a startup repair to see if there will be any changes. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Boot to Advanced Startup Options from a hard reboot. Press and hold the power button on your PC until it powers off and until it powers on.
    • Wait until you see the Windows logo screen or Please wait during boot. Usually it may take repeating up to 3 times.
    • Select See advanced repair options.
    • Under Advanced Startup Options, select Troubleshoot.
    • Select Advanced options. Under Advanced options, select Startup Repair.
    • If prompted, select an administrator account to provide credentials for approval, type in the password and click Continue.
    • Startup Repair will now start Diagnosing your PC, and will attempt to automatically repair it.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Dyan Rey, Oct 31, 2020
  4. XP ROCKS. Win User

Repeated Blue Screen of Death, cannot reset PC

Repeated Blue Screen of Death

Please post a link to the dump file/s. "How to" instructions below.

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

BSOD Finding and fixing them

XP ROCKS., Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

Repeated Blue Screen of Death, cannot reset PC

1. Repeated Blue Screen of Death, cannot reset PC - Similar Threads - Repeated Blue Screen

2. Repeated blue screen of death - ntoskrnl.exe error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repeated blue screen of death - ntoskrnl.exe error: Hi, my windows 11 computer keeps unexpectedly restarting, and I'm at a loss as to what might be causing this problem. I ran the Driver Verifier tool, and it consistently points to the ntoskrnl.exe file. Could someone please assist me in resolving this issue? I would greatly...
  3. Repeated blue screen of death - ntoskrnl.exe error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated blue screen of death - ntoskrnl.exe error: Hi, my windows 11 computer keeps unexpectedly restarting, and I'm at a loss as to what might be causing this problem. I ran the Driver Verifier tool, and it consistently points to the ntoskrnl.exe file. Could someone please assist me in resolving this issue? I would greatly...
  4. Getting Blue Screen of death repeatedly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting Blue Screen of death repeatedly.: Hi,My one month old Lenovo Thinkpad ideapad 3i is having repeated blue screen of death with different error codes regularly. I have updated windows and also have updated all the drivers to latest version. I had ran a memtest on the device and it returned no errors. I will add...
  5. Getting Blue Screen of death repeatedly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting Blue Screen of death repeatedly.: Hi,My one month old Lenovo Thinkpad ideapad 3i is having repeated blue screen of death with different error codes regularly. I have updated windows and also have updated all the drivers to latest version. I had ran a memtest on the device and it returned no errors. I will add...
  6. Repeated Blue screen of death error DRIVER_IQL...... in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated Blue screen of death error DRIVER_IQL...... in windows 11: I don't know the reason I can't able to boot my laptop, it always repeatedly showing blue screen of death error with DRIVER_IQL error like this. I tried online solutions, but none of those worked.Why windows 11 was like this buggy...
  7. Blue Screen of Death on Repeat

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen of Death on Repeat: Hello.I was just using my PC normally and it decided to give me the BSOD randomly. Upon trying to launch my PC, I quickly realised that my Windows 10 will not boot up as it always gave a BSOD without fail.I've gotten many error codes such as 0xc0000142, IRQL NOT LESS OR...
  8. Blue death while resetting pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blue death while resetting pc: I wanted to do a hard reset and delete all my private files. The resetting started and after a while Im getting only blue death with code : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, creating a restarting loop. Please help!...
  9. Blue screen of death not letting my reset my PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blue screen of death not letting my reset my PC: I tried resetting my PC because I got the blue screen of death a few nights ago, I tried resetting to the factory settings, wiping everything but before my PC was about to reset I got the blue screen of death "Your PC ran into an error and is not going to restart" and then it...
  10. Blue Screen Of Death on my PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Of Death on my PC: Hello Microsoft Community, Since an Windows Update in February ,my pc has been having a lot of problems, one of them is the Blue Screen Of Death with the error ''PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA'' . Everytime I install windows updates, and resart the PC it shows this error,...