Windows 10: Repeated crashes on a newly built gaming PC

Discus and support Repeated crashes on a newly built gaming PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, thanks for reading! It's a bit of a doozy because I tried a few things at the advice of some more tech savvy friends and forum posts. TL;DR my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LochlanWilson, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Repeated crashes on a newly built gaming PC

Hi all, thanks for reading! It's a bit of a doozy because I tried a few things at the advice of some more tech savvy friends and forum posts.

TL;DR my newly built Windows 10 Home Gaming/Work PC started crashing repeatedly, with a shorter and shorter period between crashes each time. I tried a fresh Windows reinstall and was able to muscle my way through setup by repeatedly using the Win+Ctrl+Shift+B shortcut to reset my GPU drivers, but it still crashes in and out of Safe Mode.

Context

I built my first gaming PC with the help of a friend this week I'll put the specs below, and it worked fine for a few days. I tried to update the graphics card drivers as it was a pre-owned GPU, and it said there was and error, but the screen resolution updated and looked way better right after so I assumed it was fine.
    The next day, I tried playing Mordhau and after about 30 minutes I had my first crash. The screen went black, showed the first post, and then I was back at the sign-in screen. I had played a few hours of a less taxing game earlier, and noticed by GPU was at 99% load with Mordhau, so I guessed that I had it on too high of settings. I lowered the graphics settings and tried again, but it kept crashing black screen, first post, Windows login screen, and at a shorter interval. My friend suggested it might be the GPU drivers so I tried to update them from the NVIDIA website/GeForce Experience app. It said there was an error in the install but the drivers themselves had installed properly.

The Issue

The PC kept crashing, and after a while I was barely getting to the sign in screen, until I couldn't even get there - Windows would try an automatic repair and it would fail, and I'd end up in WinRE. I tried a system restore didn't work, and when I tried again it wouldn't let me do it, and a system reset failed as well. I then did a fresh Windows install from a Windows Media creation tool had to reformat the SSD from MBR to GPT and it seemed to work after some troubleshooting. It would repeatedly crash during setup after an install, after varying amounts of time, and sometimes it crashed 5-6x in a row before returning to the WinRE page. Sometimes the crashes were a cut to black and restart, other times it was a BSOD with various error messages I've had Critical Process Died, System Thread Exception Not Handled, 0xc0000225, and a few others I'm forgetting.

For a while, I was unable to progress through the Setup after the install because it would crash, but after disconnecting and reconnecting my GPU, I was able to finish the setup while repeatedly using the "Win+Ctrl+Shift+B" shortcut to reset my GPU drivers it sounds silly to try but it worked, while not doing the shortcut would crash.

I can hang out in the BIOS screen indefinitely, and generally I'm okay in WinRE but it will still restart occasionally there too.

What I've Tried

Now that I've been able to get to the desktop I was able to update the GPU drivers using Device Manager. After doing so, the computer worked crash-free for about 5 minutes the longest I've had in a while. I seem to be able to stave off crashes by using "Win+Ctrl+Shift+B" somewhat, but the crash still happens after a while, even in safe mode. The time before crash seems to last longer when I have let the computer stay off for a while, and gets shorter with each successive crash.

I also ran verifier.exe based on a tutorial I found, but it did not seem to make any difference.

My Thoughts

My thoughts are that it is related to the GPU. It is the only pre-owned component I have in the build, and anything I've tried to tweak it has extended the time before a crash resetting it using a shortcut, unplugging and re-plugging it into the motherboard, updating the drivers. However, I don't know what else there is I can do!

Power: My computer was previously plugged into a power bar daisy chained to another surge protected power bar as a temporary cord solution. I thought this could be an issue so I moved it so it is directly plugged into the surge protected bar, and it took longer to crash, but this could be coincidental. I don't think it's a power issue as the CPU and exhaust fans, as well as the case's built-in LED lights stay on during a crash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My friends thought could be related to the GPU drivers, but I have now updated those and I tried to update other drivers before a crash, but Device Manager did not find any out of date among the drivers that I checked.

Please let me know if you need any more information! I wanted to see if there was any ideas you fine people had before I bring it to a repair shop.

Components

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A updated to the latest BIOS

Memory: 2x8GB XPG Gammix D10 3200MHz

SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

GPU: ASUS Turbo GTX 1070 pre-owned, unsure if drivers properly installed but should be up to date now

PSU: EGVA 500W 80+

:)

LochlanWilson, Jun 14, 2020
  2. CamScag Win User

Newly Built PC Keeps Crashing

Last week I recently built my new PC and it was working fine up until last night when I was live streaming a game of CS:GO and my PC randomly crashed during warmup. Little did I know this was just the start of it... I left my PC on throughout the night
    and woke up the next morning to it have been restart. I thought it could’ve been a power outage or something so I ignored it but when I logged in and tried to open something everything went black and the computer crashed similarly to the previous day. Now,
    my pc either crashes in the middle of the booting process, when I log in, or if it makes it that far it will crash when I attempt to open an application. I’ve tried resetting my BIOS to default settings, booting in safe mode, I even reinstalled my cpu + cooler
    because I thought I might’ve messed it up somehow but still no luck. I am hesitant about restoring windows to factory settings since it seems to be more of a hardware issue although I’ll do it if necessary. I have also tried opening task manager just when
    logging in and nothing seems abnormal. The temperatures are around 30 C and the cpu usage percent is around 5-20%. Any and all help is appreciated.

Unsure if this is related but just this morning my 144hz monitor stopped working as well. Tried both displayports on my GPU although connecting it via HDMI seems to work fine.

Parts: System Builder

CamScag, Jun 14, 2020
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jun 14, 2020
  4. CountMike Win User

Repeated crashes on a newly built gaming PC

CountMike, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

Repeated crashes on a newly built gaming PC

1. Repeated crashes on a newly built gaming PC - Similar Threads - Repeated crashes newly

2. Newly built pc crashing trying to play games with Direct X

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newly built pc crashing trying to play games with Direct X: Any game with Direct x I play Madden 24, Modern Warfare, Fortnite, ect crash when I try and play it. I have no idea how to fix it.Here is my build:OS: Windows 11 ProCPU AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D Raphael AM5 4.2GHz 8-CoreMotherboard Gigabyte - B650 Gaming X AX V2 AMD AM5 ATX...
  3. Newly built pc crashing trying to play games with Direct X

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Newly built pc crashing trying to play games with Direct X: Any game with Direct x I play Madden 24, Modern Warfare, Fortnite, ect crash when I try and play it. I have no idea how to fix it.Here is my build:OS: Windows 11 ProCPU AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D Raphael AM5 4.2GHz 8-CoreMotherboard Gigabyte - B650 Gaming X AX V2 AMD AM5 ATX...
  4. Newly built PC crashes to blackscreen then restart while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newly built PC crashes to blackscreen then restart while gaming: Hello, I have built a new computer and unfortunately there is a problem,it occurs during gaming only so far and what happens is that the computer crashes,either the game just crashes back to windows OR the screen goes black,fans and rgb continue to run for a while before the...
  5. Newly built PC crashes to blackscreen then restart while gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Newly built PC crashes to blackscreen then restart while gaming: Hello, I have built a new computer and unfortunately there is a problem,it occurs during gaming only so far and what happens is that the computer crashes,either the game just crashes back to windows OR the screen goes black,fans and rgb continue to run for a while before the...
  6. Newly built pc keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Newly built pc keeps crashing: I have recently built a new pc and I had succesfully installed windows on it but aboit 30 min after into my setup my pc crashed. After it crashed it would only reboot to my bios screen an I have no option in my boot priority. I thought it was my ssd so with some researxhI...
  7. Newly built PC crashed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Newly built PC crashed: Hi, I just built a pc but it just crashed on me and I'm trying to figure it out. is there a way to figure out why my PC crashed using a .dmp file? All i see in there is unknown characters. Here's the link to the file...
  8. newly built pc

newly built pc: so my friend helped me build my first pc and now I am having problems I keep getting a different blue screen and I don't know what to do I have tried to fix them by looking them up but it doesn't seem to work...
  9. Newly built PC crashes continuously

Newly built PC crashes continuously: I recently built a PC with a Ryzen 7 2700 RX 590 gpu, 16 gb ram ddr4 and gigabyte b450m ds3h. As for storage I installed my old HDD (that had windows installed) and 970 EVO Plus m2 ssd. At the begining I booted form the old HDD but despite installing new drivers windows...
  10. Newly Built PC Keeps Crashing

Newly Built PC Keeps Crashing: Last week I recently built my new PC and it was working fine up until last night when I was live streaming a game of CS:GO and my PC randomly crashed during warmup. Little did I know this was just the start of it... I left my PC on throughout the night and woke up the next...