Windows 10: Repeated freeze crashes (no BSOD)

Discus and support Repeated freeze crashes (no BSOD) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Cross-posted at Question - Windows 10 machine crashes by freezing--hardware or software? | Tom's Hardware Forum CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Motherboard:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 6StringJazzer, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Repeated freeze crashes (no BSOD)

Cross-posted at Question - Windows 10 machine crashes by freezing--hardware or software? | Tom's Hardware Forum

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6
    Ram: 2 x 8GB DDR3, Ballistix
    SSD/HDD: SanDisk 1TB SSD
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, however, currently removed for troubleshooting. System is running on on-board Intel HD Graphics 4600
    PSU: 650w, cannot see manufacturer name
    OS: Windows Home 1903 (x64) Version 1903 (build 18362.1016)

PSU originally installed November 2008
    Memory and CPU originally installed 11/2013
    Motherboard installed 10/2016

Updated: I have been running MemTest today. The computer locked up on pass 1/4 during the Modulo 20 test. The pass was 75% complete and the test was 54% complete. Then I rebooted and it froze again on pass 2/4, also during the Modulo 20 test. The pass was 75% complete and the test was 82% complete. It did not report any errors, the computer just froze. Does this suggest memory failure?

I am getting unpredictable crashes where the computer becomes unresponsive and the image freezes on the screen. I find this failure mode baffling. I don't understand how you can have a crash yet the graphics keep feeding the image to the monitors.

When I say unresponsive, I don't mean the machine is too busy to respond to interrupts, I mean it's dead. The NUMLOCK LED on the keyboard doesn't change when clicking the key, no mouse cursor movement, the screen image is frozen. The board still responds to holding down the power button to power down, and then I power it back up.

This build is maybe 3-4 years old and this problem started in March.

I have disconnected USB devices, the second monitor, removed the GPU. It still crashes. I run Task Manager, HWiNFO, and Resource Monitor. Occasionally the crash will occur when the CPU is 100% or close to it. Occasionally the cores will run hot near 100C, but many crashes occur when the CPU is running under 50% with cool cores.

The crashes most frequently occur if I am using a videoconferencing app for work, either UberConference, Microsoft Teams, or sometimes Slack (although I've never had a crash using Zoom). But sometimes I can use these for hours with no problem. Some crashes have occurred overnight when I am not there and not running any applications. Two nights in a row it seemed to be when Malwarebytes was running a scan.

I can't find the right conditions to forcibly reproduce a crash.

What should I be looking at? Is this likely a hardware problem (bad board, bad memory) or more likely a software problem, or some combination where the software does something to the hardware that it's not supposed to do?

I have had one recommendation to do a clean reinstall of Windows but I don't want to go through all of that and then find out I have a bad chunk of hardware somewhere.

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1903 (build 18362.1016)
    Board: ASRock Z97 Extreme6
    I removed the GPU for testing and am running on the on-board Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 [Display adapter]
    2 x 8GB of DDR3

:)

6StringJazzer, Sep 7, 2020
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Sep 7, 2020
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Sep 7, 2020
  4. axe0 Win User

Repeated freeze crashes (no BSOD)

Multiple BSODs over the past month. Seems to crash at random

There are a few different situations you could call crashes.
    • A BSOD crash,
    • A system freeze,
    • A reboot or shutdown.

Which of them do you mean?
    In the BSOD section we only help with BSOD crashes, for the other crashes you need to be at another section of the forum.

axe0, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Repeated freeze crashes (no BSOD)

1. Repeated freeze crashes (no BSOD) - Similar Threads - Repeated freeze crashes

2. Repeated progressive crashes/BSOD's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated progressive crashes/BSOD's: I have been suffering from repeated BSODs lately. I upgraded most of my PC at the end of last year and have been having progressive issues since a month or two ago. It started with discord crashing whenever someone would view my stream. Then progressed to discord crashing...
  3. Repeated progressive crashes/BSOD's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repeated progressive crashes/BSOD's: I have been suffering from repeated BSODs lately. I upgraded most of my PC at the end of last year and have been having progressive issues since a month or two ago. It started with discord crashing whenever someone would view my stream. Then progressed to discord crashing...
  4. Repeated Freezing/Crashing of whole PC, including BSOD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated Freezing/Crashing of whole PC, including BSOD.: Hi, I had a bad problem with my PC Crashing and BSOD during installs of games from epic games, and video editing.I got told to do a clean install of Windows, and as that seemed to help it I can download games without bsod/crashing, when I play games my computer crashesHere's...
  5. Repeated Freezing/Crashing of whole PC, including BSOD.

Repeated Freezing/Crashing of whole PC, including BSOD.: Hi, I had a bad problem with my PC Crashing and BSOD during installs of games from epic games, and video editing.I got told to do a clean install of Windows, and as that seemed to help it I can download games without bsod/crashing, when I play games my computer crashesHere's...
  6. Repeated crashing BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated crashing BSOD: Hello,Over the past couple of months my computer has been crashing regularly. This happens randomly, sometimes in game, sometimes doing nothing, sometimes watching video or browsing the internet.I am getting multiple different causes when analyzing it through "Who Crashed"-...
  7. Repeated crashing BSOD

Repeated crashing BSOD: Hello,Over the past couple of months my computer has been crashing regularly. This happens randomly, sometimes in game, sometimes doing nothing, sometimes watching video or browsing the internet.I am getting multiple different causes when analyzing it through "Who Crashed"-...
  8. Windows repeatedly crashes into BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows repeatedly crashes into BSOD: I've had an 1TB HD with newly Windows 10 installed(From Microsoft's website), the system worked great for a couple of hours and then it crashed with BSOD showing error code "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA" The documentation suggests that this might be an hardware problem so I...
  9. BSOD and crashes/freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD and crashes/freezes: Hey Forum, I need some help with my new PC. I bought it just before Chrismas and spend a lot on it but have been plagued with BSODs and game crashes/freezes since I got it. Any help would be appreciated. I have updated all drivers and ran the RAM corruption tool. Here are...
  10. Laptop: Repeated BSOD, crashes or freezes (0x0000001a, 0x00000019...)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop: Repeated BSOD, crashes or freezes (0x0000001a, 0x00000019...): Greetings, i'm writing for a problem i've been having for a while with my laptop and that has been worsening over months. Sometimes the computer freezes, sometimes it shuts down in an istant like in a power cut, sometimes it BSODs with different codes, as you can see in the...