Windows 10: Repeated loss of assigned disk drive

Discus and support Repeated loss of assigned disk drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a new laptop HP running Windows 11. I have an external hard drive Lacie which I have assigned the letter Z in disk management. Several times a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by neverds, Nov 30, 2022.

1. neverds Win User

Repeated loss of assigned disk drive

I have a new laptop HP running Windows 11. I have an external hard drive Lacie which I have assigned the letter Z in disk management. Several times a day, my Z drive loses its letter, although another external drive Samsung which I have labeled S, does not. When the Z drive loses its letter, it cannot be found in file explorer or other programs like Lightroom. I will attach 2 screenshots that I hope will be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

:)

neverds, Nov 30, 2022
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Nov 30, 2022
  3. LemP Win User
    Optical drive letters keep swapping

Open Disk Management (click Start, type diskmgmt.msc in the Search box, and press Enter).

1. In the lower pane, right-click on your optical drive and select "Change drive letter and paths"
    2. Assign Y: to the first optical drive
    3. Repeat step 1 for the second optical drive and assign Z:

4. Repeated loss of assigned disk drive

Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Repeated loss of assigned disk drive :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Nov 30, 2022
Thema:

Repeated loss of assigned disk drive

1. Repeated loss of assigned disk drive - Similar Threads - Repeated loss assigned

2. How Stop Disk Management Win10 Assigning Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Stop Disk Management Win10 Assigning Drive Letters: HiMy PC has a 250GB SSD as the boot drive and I regularly back up to external USB3 drive using Macrium Backup.I also have a 320GB drive in the PC which I do a scheduled 'Disk Clone', again using Macrium.The issue I have is that after Macrium has cloned the boot drive Disk...
  3. How Stop Disk Management Win10 Assigning Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Stop Disk Management Win10 Assigning Drive Letters: HiMy PC has a 250GB SSD as the boot drive and I regularly back up to external USB3 drive using Macrium Backup.I also have a 320GB drive in the PC which I do a scheduled 'Disk Clone', again using Macrium.The issue I have is that after Macrium has cloned the boot drive Disk...
  4. How Stop Disk Management Win10 Assigning Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Repeated loss of assigned disk drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repeated loss of assigned disk drive: I have a new laptop HP running Windows 11. I have an external hard drive Lacie which I have assigned the letter Z in disk management. Several times a day, my Z drive loses its letter, although another external drive Samsung which I have labeled S, does not. When the Z drive...
  6. Certain letters assigned to a disk drive are not visible in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Certain letters assigned to a disk drive are not visible in Windows Explorer: When I assign certain letters to a drive using disk manger, the drive is not visible to This PC. For example, the k: drive is not visible in This PC, but I can access it through the cli. Task manager also sees the drive.Then I reassign the k: drive to t: using disk manager,...
  7. Can't assign a letter for drive in Windows Disk Manager

Can't assign a letter for drive in Windows Disk Manager: I have a drive which have three partitions one unallocated, I want to change the letter of a partition. I can't change the drive letter.. i tried many software but I can't. Please help Thanks in advance. Here is the Image >> [ATTACH]...
  8. Problem permanently assigning drive letters to flash disks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem permanently assigning drive letters to flash disks: I have two flash disks of the exact same brand and size (128GB each, formatted as exFAT). I have a problem in that when I insert either of them in a USB port, it's assigned a drive letter which may not be what I would like. Ideally I want each flash disk to be always assigned...
  9. Network assigning additional letters/numbers to disk drive.

Network assigning additional letters/numbers to disk drive.: AFter adding a disk drive to my network, the drive is assigned number and letters after the disk name. Programs cannot find the disk and I cannot rename it....
  10. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...