Windows 10: Repeating OOBE setup for missed Windows 10 activation

Discus and support Repeating OOBE setup for missed Windows 10 activation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought a refurbished computer and unfortunately missed the Windows activation when setting up without an internet connection. According to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeonH1970, Sep 14, 2020.

1. LeonH1970 Win User

Repeating OOBE setup for missed Windows 10 activation

I bought a refurbished computer and unfortunately missed the Windows activation when setting up without an internet connection.

According to the seller's brief instructions, the computer must be connected to the Internet during the OOBE setup:

"Activation of Windows will be automatic. This requires that your device is connected to the internet via a network cable / LAN cable while Windows is being set up, a connection via WiFi may not be sufficient."

page 6 of https://reteq.eu/fileadmin/media/RETEQ-Kurzanleitung-DE-EN-09-18.pdf

That really seems to be the case because now there is no subsequent activation.
    Upon request, the seller announced that the Windows key was stored in the UEFI.
    The tool OemKey https://neosmart.net/OemKey/ shows, however, that no MSDM table can be opened.

Is there a way to somehow repeat this mysterious activation procedure that seems to take place only once during the OOBE setup?
    I was thinking of something like

sysprep /oobe

without generalization.

I actually want to avoid the factory reset recommended by the manufacturer after investing so much time in setting it up.

:)

LeonH1970, Sep 14, 2020
  2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 14, 2020
  3. lorraine walsh, Sep 14, 2020
  4. maditu Win User

Automate just OOBE setup pass of Windows 10 with Autounattend.xml

Dear Community,

I am currently trying to find out if it is possible to automate just the OOBE setup pass of Windows 10 with an Autounattend.xml file.

In this particular use case, the devices are delievered with a preinstalled Windows 10 Pro version 1803. The goal is to use the preinstalled OEM image. When startging the devices for the first time, they start with OOBE. We want to automate these steps. The idea was to create an answer file which just holds parameters for the oobeSystem pass and let the resulting Autounattend.xml file be consumed from a removable USB drive.

Does somebody have experience with a similar use case? Will Windows 10 still search for an Autounattend.xml file just before entering the oobeSystem Pass? Or is an Autounattend .xml just usable when going trough all configurationen passes of Windows?

The Microsoft documentation was no help for me regarding this particular question.

Best regards,
    Manuel

maditu, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Repeating OOBE setup for missed Windows 10 activation - Similar Threads - Repeating OOBE setup

2. Windows 10 install fails at OOBE - missing files in setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install fails at OOBE - missing files in setup: I'm having loads of issues installing Windows 10 on a Windows 7 machine.Ended up doing a clean install, have attempted a couple of dozen times, each time getting a little further.After some forum help and some BIOS tweeking, when I'm almost at the gate it keeps failing during...
  3. Breaking OOBE setup bricks the lock screen?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Breaking OOBE setup bricks the lock screen?: You can read about how my lock screen is not working over here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/cant-do-anything-with-the-lock-screen/649395e4-9bf7-4cc6-b005-b8f7c444730b?tm=1613122250736 Although this was done on and Insider build, it has...
  4. Windows 10 Home OOBE

Windows 10 Home OOBE: I have a Dell Inspiron 5567 and it was running Windows 10 Business through a Microsoft 365 tenant. Looking back now, I don’t know why I fancied rebuilding it, but I made a Windows 10 bootable USB and reset my Laptop. Problem I’ve got is that the motherboard license on this...
  5. Windows 10 Home OOBE

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Home OOBE: I have a Dell Inspiron 5567 and it was running Windows 10 Business through a Microsoft 365 tenant. Looking back now, I don’t know why I fancied rebuilding it, but I made a Windows 10 bootable USB and reset my Laptop. Problem I’ve got is that the motherboard license on this...
  6. Windows 10 OOBE on startup

Windows 10 OOBE on startup: Ok so when i restart i keep getting oobe i already did the oobe so what's wrong https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-oobe-on-startup/ce662a2f-0313-4f0f-addb-7427dcedb559
  7. Windows 10 OOBE fails with error causing incomplete setup

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 OOBE fails with error causing incomplete setup: [ATTACH]If when you start a new Windows 10 computer for the first time and the Windows OOBE (Out-Of-Box Experience) fails to complete with an error […] This article Windows 10 OOBE fails with error causing incomplete setup first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Windows 10 oobe error

Windows 10 oobe error: Hello, i have an HP pc which i upgraded to window 10 using the mediacreation tool and used the "upgrade this pc" option. It all worked fine, was using it for about 2 months, but due to slow performance i thought i should reset. I did so with the "clean drives" option... It...
  9. Automate just OOBE setup pass of Windows 10 with Autounattend.xml

Automate just OOBE setup pass of Windows 10 with Autounattend.xml: Dear Community, I am currently trying to find out if it is possible to automate just the OOBE setup pass of Windows 10 with an Autounattend.xml file. In this particular use case, the devices are delievered with a preinstalled Windows 10 Pro version 1803. The goal is to use...
  10. Windows 10 Home & OOBE

Windows 10 Home & OOBE: Hello... I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 Home on my Dell Dimension E521 (4GB RAM/AMD Sempron 3400+ (1.80GHz) processor); at the point where it asks me to select the region, it gives me a 1-word message - OOBEREGION. I have tried clicking Try Again many times and then...