Windows 10: Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

Discus and support Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I know this can be done and I do recall back in 2017 I was reading about this. However there is no possibility to know where exactly I found this two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by masmask, May 15, 2020.

1. masmask Win User

Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

I know this can be done and I do recall back in 2017 I was reading about this. However there is no possibility to know where exactly I found this two years back.

Just like title says, I want to replace common CIDs used post-Vista to open / browse / save file with older pre-2007 Common FIle Dialog Box (that one with places bar on it).

Below is the one I refer to. Its located under 1552 stylesheet in comdlg32.dll.mui and can be visible in older, typically cross-platform apps. Also visible when you export from regedit. I want all open / save dialog boxes to use this legacy common file dialog. This can be 100% done via registry hack. But I can not remember how exactly.

Anybody have any knowledge on how to do that? If you happen to know how to tell the system to use the legacy dialog box instead of common CIDs, do drop a note below.

Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window [​IMG]

:)

masmask, May 15, 2020

2. Save and Open common dialog

Hi

When I try to open or save file in my common dialog box always open ThisPc to show me the path. How to set it up to be closed. On my other computer ThisPc is always closed in an open or save dialog box.

many thx for help
    Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window d956b4c4-0083-4ef5-8a7a-e85bbdc2248a?upload=true.jpg

aljo_petek, May 15, 2020
  3. iomismo Win User
    32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

Running windows 10 64. Common dialogs on 32 bit applications do not work/appear.
    First i thought there was only a problem with chrome, save dialog do not work/appear and i cannot download anything, unless you config chrome for autodownload. Then i realized that it was the entire system. 32 bit application common dialogs do not work. All 64 bit applications "open", "save" file dialogs work correctly. I cannot even open a project in Visual Studio 2015. I have installed chrome 64 and it works ok.
    SFC didnt fix the problem, even after deleting common controls known files, such as comdlg32.dll, comctl32.dll from syswow64. With Process Explorer from Windows SysInternals, i have found that some 32 bit programs use comctl32.dll files from C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_... folders. I have not deleted them yet to see if sfc repairs them.

I have tried to reinstall windows 10 from usb but it does not work.

I have disabled all non microsoft applications and third party shell extensions from startup...nothing.
    The only thing i have found to fix it is disabling visual themes in compatibility options (although windows 10 does not have this option, u can set the DISABLETHEMES flag in the registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers). I thought it was the solution, Visual Sutdio works after 5 days yuhuuuu!!, but besides it ruins all the aspect of the application, i have found some other applications that still do not work, such as openiv, a GTA Editor, when i click on "Browse" to select the path for gta, the dialog does not appear.
    I made a simple visual studio solution and when calling openfiledialog showdialog, it does not wait, it continues running to the next line code. Normally it opens the dialog and the program execution is "suspended" until user closes/accepts the dialog. Maybe it opens and closes immediately, i dont know, i have not been able to trace what happens after ShowDialog is called.
    Five days googling the same sites and no solution. Disable Firewall, windows defender, onedrive (thinking that "old" applications do not expect to find an onedrive access in the open file dialog side panel), i do not have any other network drive, nothing works. It's the only thing that i am doing from 5 days ago, trying to fix it, seeing the same sites once and again, and it does not seem to be a common problem, or at least i am not searching properly.

iomismo, May 15, 2020
  4. Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

Running windows 10 64. Common dialogs on 32 bit applications do not work/appear.

First i thought there was only a problem with chrome, save dialog do not work/appear and i cannot download anything, unless you config chrome for autodownload. Then i realized
    that it was the entire system. 32 bit application common dialogs do not work. All 64 bit applications "open", "save" file dialogs work correctly. I cannot even open a project in Visual Studio 2015. I have installed chrome 64 and it works ok.

SFC didnt fix the problem, even after deleting common controls known files, such as comdlg32.dll, comctl32.dll from syswow64. With Process Explorer from Windows SysInternals, i have found that some 32 bit
    programs use comctl32.dll files from C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_... folders. I have not deleted them yet to see if sfc repairs them.

I have tried to reinstall windows 10 from usb but it does not work.

I have disabled all non microsoft applications and third party shell extensions from startup...nothing.

The only thing i have found to fix it is disabling visual themes in compatibility options (although windows 10 does not have this option, u can set the DISABLETHEMES flag in the registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers). I thought it was the solution, Visual Sutdio works after 5 days yuhuuuu!!, but besides it ruins all the aspect of the application, i have found some other applications that still do not work, such as openiv, a GTA
    Editor, when i click on "Browse" to select the path for gta, the dialog does not appear.

I made a simple visual studio solution and when calling openfiledialog showdialog, it does not wait, it continues running to the next line code. Normally it opens the dialog and the program execution is
    "suspended" until user closes/accepts the dialog. Maybe it opens and closes immediately, i dont know, i have not been able to trace what happens after ShowDialog is called.

Five days googling the same sites and no solution. Disable Firewall, windows defender, onedrive (thinking that "old" applications do not expect to find an onedrive access in the open file dialog side panel),
    i do not have any other network drive, nothing works. It's the only thing that i am doing from 5 days ago, trying to fix it, seeing the same sites once and again, and it does not seem to be a common problem, or at least i am not searching properly.

Kannabicus, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

1. Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window - Similar Threads - Replace Common Item

2. Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes

in Windows 10 Support
    Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes: Win10Pro64 v2004. Greetings... I've just finished the build of a new PC, and I'm bothered by the large number of useless folders that are displayed in the left pane of open and save dialog boxes. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see. I'm hoping for advice about how to...
  3. Common Item Dialog garbles user input

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Common Item Dialog garbles user input: Recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 1903. When trying to open or "save as" files the keyboard input is garbled. Pressing the same key multiple times produces different characters each time. Keyboard is a Logitech K520 wireless. Driver uninstalled and reinstalled with no...
  4. Save and Open common dialog

in Windows 10 Customization
    Save and Open common dialog: Hi When I try to open or save file in my common dialog box always open ThisPc to show me the path. How to set it up to be closed. On my other computer ThisPc is always closed in an open or save dialog box. many thx for help[ATTACH]...
  5. how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?: How do i disable file dialog box when i cleck Open, or Save as from any applications in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-common-open-file-dialog-box-in/5a99bb2f-8e30-4468-b7e6-e712e3febdd8"
  6. Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  7. Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  8. Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor),...
  9. Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box: How to: Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box How to Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a...
  10. Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows: How to: Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows [img] Information Starting with Windows Vista, the Common Item Dialog (CID) supersedes the older Common File Dialog when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. old open/save dialog clsid