Windows 10: replace default folder / imageres.dll

Discus and support replace default folder / imageres.dll in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'd like to replace the default imageres.dll folder ( the yellow one ) with the folder attached here Could anyone help me, please ? I tried with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sinx, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Sinx Win User

replace default folder / imageres.dll

I'd like to replace the default imageres.dll folder ( the yellow one ) with the folder attached here
    Could anyone help me, please ?
    I tried with Resource Hacker but i find it very difficult
    I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thank you in advance

:)

2. Relocating the Documents Folder caused it to be renamed as Music Folder

Type in Run (WinKey+R):

notepad %userprofile%\documents\desktop.ini

(Assuming you've moved back Documents to the default location, under your profile folder.)

The default contents are:

----------------

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21770

IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-112

IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll

IconIndex=-235

----------------

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 11, 2017
  3. How do I change the startup sound in Win 10

No one seems to get your point. Am I right in thinking that you mean the sound that comes up along with the logon screen? That can be changed only by changing system files. But if you are willing to take the risk, follow these steps.

1. Download Resource Hacker at http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/reshacker_setup.exe.

2. Open This PC.

3. Click on the drive Windows is installed on (it is usually Creplace default folder / imageres.dll :)

4. Click Windows.

5. Keep the Windows folder open in Explorer, just minimize it. Then right click This PC, then click properties.

6. Under System, check if your computer is 64 or 32 bit.

7. If it is 32 bit, follow directions starting at 8. If it is 64 bit, follow directions starting at 25.

8. Open System32.

9. Scroll down until you find a file named imageres.dll. Open this file with Resource Hacker.

10. Click WAVE.

11. Right click the only file in there, and click replace resource.

12. Save whatever sound you want the startup sound to be, as a .WAV file.

13. Select the file you saved, and replace the resource. Save the new imageres.dll onto the desktop.

14. Go back into System32, and right click imageres.dll, then click Properties.

15. Click Security.

16. Click Advanced.

17. Change the owner to your username.

18. Disable Inheritance.

19. Click OK.

20. Back on the Security tab, click Edit to edit permissions.

21. Remove ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES, SYSTEM, and TrustedInstaller.

22. Add your username, and Users if they aren't already there, then give them both full control.

23. If you are the administrator of your computer, add Administrators, give it full control, click OK, and exit properties. If not, click OK and exit.

24. Copy imageres.dll on our desktop into System32, and replace the one that's in there already.

25. In Windows, open SysWOW64.

26. Scroll down until you find a file named imageres.dll. Open this file with Resource Hacker.

27. Click WAVE.

28. Right click the only file in there, and click replace resource.

29. Save whatever sound you want the startup sound to be, as a .WAV file.

30. Select the file you saved, and replace the resource. Save the new imageres.dll onto the desktop.

31. Go back into SysWOW64, and right click imageres.dll, then click Properties.

32. Click Security.

33. Click Advanced.

34. Change the owner to your username.

35. Disable Inheritance.

36. Click OK.

37. Back on the Security tab, click Edit to edit permissions.

38. Remove ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES, SYSTEM, and TrustedInstaller.

39. Add your username, and Users if they aren't already there, then give them both full control.

40. If you are the administrator of your computer, add Administrators, give it full control, click OK, and exit properties. If not, click OK and exit.

41. Copy imageres.dll on our desktop into SysWOW64, and replace the one that's in there already.

42. Follow steps starting from 8.

43. Restart your computer. The startup sound should be changed to what you want it to be.

CarmelloB., Feb 11, 2017
  4. shimshom Win User

shimshom, Feb 11, 2017
  5. Sinx Win User
    I followed step by step all the instructions, but it doesn't work
    Thank you, anyway

6. mykou Win User
    Shimshom gave you one easy and working way via askVG hack

Give attention that not all display view mode show the hacked custom folder icon

replace default folder / imageres.dll [​IMG]

You have to enable "always display icons and not thumbnails" so you lose that feature but you see your default folder icon anywhere in windows explroer whatever view you chose

replace default folder / imageres.dll [​IMG]

mykou, Feb 11, 2017
  7. Sinx Win User
    Okay, i'll give it one more try, thank you very much

8. Sinx Win User

I don't know but it's not working for me
    Please, anyone help me to add this attached empty ico folder into the imageres.dll files ( system 32 and sysWOW64 )

9. shimshom Win User
    shimshom, Feb 12, 2017
  10. Sinx Win User
    I did clear the Icon Cache, many times, i don't understand what am I doing wrong

11. shimshom Win User
    Try to use an Expandable String Value instead of a string value in the Shell Icons folder and also create a Shell Folder Subkey in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and also create the same Expandable String Value with the path to your icon . When you insert the path to the icon do you remove the " from the path

shimshom, Feb 12, 2017
  12. Sinx Win User
    I purchased Icon Packager, i can select whatever i want, as folder default icon, but i won't use / keep this software, because the option "always display icons and not thumbnails" is gone
    Could you, please, modify the imageres.dll, with the blue icon folder ?

Thank you

13. Sinx Win User

could you please help me with this?

14. SonicBlue Win User
    I actually use Customizergod to change the folder Icon. It may even take a couple reboots for em to take effect. Whole lot less headache.

SonicBlue, Feb 15, 2017
  15. Sinx Win User
    With Customizergod, can you keep unchecked the option " always display icons and not thumbnails " ?

Thema:

1. replace default folder / imageres.dll - Similar Threads - replace default folder

2. give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons: THERES LITERALLY NO DOWNLOADS ONLINE WHEN I SEARCHED AND I TRIED TO USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE TO INSTALL WIN11 JUST TO GET THE ICONS BUT THE VIRTUAL MACHINE WOULDNT LET ME INSTALL BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT AND NO I DONT WANT TO DOWNLOAD AN ICON PACK AND I WOULD RATHER NOT TELL...
  3. give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons: THERES LITERALLY NO DOWNLOADS ONLINE WHEN I SEARCHED AND I TRIED TO USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE TO INSTALL WIN11 JUST TO GET THE ICONS BUT THE VIRTUAL MACHINE WOULDNT LET ME INSTALL BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT AND NO I DONT WANT TO USE AN ICON PACK AND I WOULD RATHER NOT TELL WHY I...
  4. "Confirm Folder Replace" Prompt- Does it replace or merge folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Confirm Folder Replace" Prompt- Does it replace or merge folders?: Good day! I was moving files from a mobile phone to a external hdd today to clear space on my phone. I was using the "move to" function, so I wouldn't have to go back and delete the files I moved. However, halfway through the moving process, my hdd stopped working. I got a...
  5. Copy and Replace Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy and Replace Default: I need to replace files from my old computer to new with Windows 11 and it just makes a copy. How do I change it so it asks me if I want to replace the file? Thanks...
  6. Copy and Replace Default

Copy and Replace Default: I need to replace files from my old computer to new with Windows 11 and it just makes a copy. How do I change it so it asks me if I want to replace the file? Thanks...
  7. Default Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Folders: Hello,I recently upgraded my PC and re-installed Windows, choosing the delete everyting option while I had multiple HDDs connected, as a result, my default folders - Downloads, Pictures, Documents, Desktop & Video - all shortcut to the Documents folder. Try as I might, I...
  8. Default Folders

Default Folders: Hello,I recently upgraded my PC and re-installed Windows, choosing the delete everyting option while I had multiple HDDs connected, as a result, my default folders - Downloads, Pictures, Documents, Desktop & Video - all shortcut to the Documents folder. Try as I might, I...
  9. DLL. Icon file replacing

DLL. Icon file replacing: Hello all, i have a question about MS Visual Studio and DLL. files. i have a handful of original, straight from the files, Windows XP application icons. i googled around a little and found where they were stored on Win10. is there a quick and easy way or just basically a way...
  10. Folders Default

Folders Default: Can I have all folders, including new ones set to Details ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-default/05fc18ea-7b3d-4154-85c9-48a3835059cc"
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change imageres.dll