Windows 10: replace hard drive with SSD

Discus and support replace hard drive with SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a laptop with a 1 TB hard drive. I am only using about 300 GB. Can I replace my 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD? 95323 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tropicallime, Oct 12, 2017.

1. replace hard drive with SSD

I have a laptop with a 1 TB hard drive. I am only using about 300 GB. Can I replace my 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD?

:)

tropicallime, Oct 12, 2017

2. Windows back up with New internalSSD

Hi, I am Using Lenovo G50-80 laptop and I am planning to replace my hard drive with the SSD. Could you please tell me if I can clone my existing hard drive to an external hard drive, and once replaced with New SSD. Also if i can back it up to SSD with
    all the programs getting installed to a new drive.

Thanks

Rahul.

RahulMaddikunta_909, Oct 12, 2017
  3. Dave494 Win User
    Fastest Area of a Hard Disk: File Placement

Until the day comes when SSD's are at least several Terabytes in size and cheap, most computer users in the world are stuck with hard drives. Even worse are the slower hard drives used in laptops.

I hope more can be done to maximise performance of hard drives in Windows 10. SSD's won't be replacing hard drives overnight. replace hard drive with SSD :(

Dave494, Oct 12, 2017
  4. bobkn Win User

replace hard drive with SSD

bobkn, Oct 12, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Magician is Samsung's tool. If you have any other drive, you can use Macrium (it is free) or Minitool Partition wizard.

Both tools are excellent. Get one of external cases, put SSD in, clone or image existing drive, replace HDD with SSD and go. I prefer Minitool for this.

Magician is fine too.

AndreTen, Oct 12, 2017
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    What was left out is "if" your laptop allows it. It should (most likely would), but you should double check before purchasing the drive.

Good luck.

sygnus21, Oct 12, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Also check if the laptop has a second drive bay. You may need to purchase a tray and/or adapter cable if you want to install the HDD in the second drive bay for storage. Or if you have an optical disk drive like a DVD drive installed that you don't use, you can also buy adapters to install the HDD in that space permanently (but you lose the DVD drive).

Or, if you don't want to or can't install the HDD as a permanent storage drive, you can put it in a USB enclosure as @AndreTen stated. If you want to install the HDD in an adapter in the space where the DVD drive is, you can also buy a USB enclosure to turn the removed DVD drive into an external drive. Laptop DVD drives come in two heights, though - make sure you are getting the adapters of the correct height.

NavyLCDR, Oct 12, 2017
  8. Quexos Win User

If you wind up needing/wanting an external USB enclosure to make your old drive into a nice USB storage drive (IE: your laptop has no extra drive bay), or as a method of getting one drive cloned to the other, etc. I bought This One about a year or more ago and it has been great. Cheap, good SATA3 to USB3 controller, and works perfectly. I have even installed Linux on it before and booted from it. These enclosures are very useful little tools.

Quexos, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. replace hard drive with SSD - Similar Threads - replace hard drive

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement: Before physically removing the hard drive from my laptop, I cloned it to a new SSD drive using Macrium Reflect and installed the SSD drive in the laptop. When I check my drives using Disk Management or AOMEI Partition Assistant, Disk 0 using Disk Management or Disk 1 using...
  6. Hard drive replace

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive replace: I had a corrupt Hard drive and sent my laptop off to be fixed. They have replace the failed hard drive and update the operating system. I have now lost everything, photos, documents etc. not that great with tech through some research I'm guessing everything was saved on my...
  7. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  8. Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?: I have a laptop (HP notebook 8 gig ram) running Windows 10 as a slow ring insider. I want to remove the hard drive which is as slow as treacle and replace it with an SSD. This requires that I do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD ..... My question is this: I have a USB...
  9. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  10. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive replacement: Hello everyone, I am shopping for a new PC from HP. I am thinking ahead of time so that I can be ready for when this happens. I know that over time hard drives begin to slow down and then eventually stop working. So in the future, what will happen when I replace the hard...