Windows 10: Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10

Discus and support Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am a home user having HP Pavilion laptop - Windows 10, 1 TB HDD, 8GB RAM I intend replacing internal 1 TB HDD with 240 GB SSD Internal SSD will have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HK8, Dec 11, 2020.

1. HK8
    HK8 Win User

Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10

1. I am a home user having HP Pavilion laptop - Windows 10, 1 TB HDD, 8GB RAM
    2. I intend replacing internal 1 TB HDD with 240 GB SSD
    3. Internal SSD will have only Windows 10, MS Office and other basic software
    4. HDD will be converted to external disk for storage.
    5. I have Windows 10 Recovery Drive in USB pendrive

I have these questions :

1. After I complete the process of removing the internal HDD and inserting the SSD, my laptop will have only the BLANK SSD internal. Can I use the Windows 10 recovery Drive to reinstall windows on the SSD? If yes, what are the steps to be observed ?
    2. If above is not the right process, can you please guide me with required steps.

I just need to ensure that I must use the same Windows licence while reinstalling on SSD

I look forward to guidance and help in this regard.

Thanks.

HK

:)

2. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Hey,

I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd.

The laptop does not have an additional hdd option.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nikaash

NikaashSenpai, Dec 11, 2020
  3. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10

SSD disappeared and laptop acting weird after HDD replacement?

Hi!

Long story short (can give more details if it helps), started hearing sounds from laptop and correctly guessed hard disk was in danger of failing. Got it to the repair people before it failed, who copied my data to an external, then replaced my 1TB HDD with
    a 500GB HDD.

I've got a few more issues, but the simplest to answer would be... is it normal that I'm not seeing the second drive (D:/) that I used to have? Replacing the HDD and therefore reinstalling windows 10 shouldn't have messed with the SSD, right? And I'm guessing
    unless they physically took it out of the laptop (doubtful), it should still be there. However, laptop can't see it in Disk Management. Currently there's:

1. C: - about 465GB
    2. Disk 0 partition 3 - 100MB
    3. System reserved - 549MB

The original specifications say "128GB PCIe SSD" - where did it go?!

Thanks Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10 :(

WannabeTechie2, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10

1. Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Replace HDD SSD

2. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  3. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  4. HDD replacement with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD replacement with SSD: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with pre-installed Windows 10 Home Single Language. I want to replace my current HDD with a SSD. I do not have any license/activation key for the operating system. How do I proceed?...
  5. Replacing HDD with an SSD

Replacing HDD with an SSD: I plan to replace my HDD with an SSD because I want my laptop to run faster and it failed a diagnostics test. I don't know why it failed but, I don't want to corrupt my new SSD. What happens if I don't clone the HDD to the SSD? Will I need to buy a windows 10 product key?...
  6. Reinstalling Win 10 on replaced HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling Win 10 on replaced HDD: I have just replaced the HDD which had my windows 10 OS on it, this was an upgrade from win 7. I reinstalled win 7 then tried to upgrade to win 10 again. When I input the code from my Win 7 disc, as I did when I first upgraded, I get the error message saying that the code...
  7. Replacing HDD with SSD

Replacing HDD with SSD: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook, and attempted to replace the 1TB HDD with a new 500 GB SSD not a problem as I was fresh installing not cloning and will not even use 500 GB. I initialised the Crucial MX500 SSD in Windows 10, with the same partition type as HDD GPT and a new...
  8. Replacing HDD with a SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing HDD with a SSD: Hi, I am planning to update my Dell inspiron 15 5570 with a SSD According to the laptop's spec sheet it supports M.2 NVMe SSD up to 512 GB Below is the one I think should be fine for the task: Amazon link What are the things I should take into consideration while...
  9. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.: Hey, I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd. The laptop does not have an additional hdd option. Thanks in...
  10. Windows 10 reinstall after replacing a HDD on my laptop

Windows 10 reinstall after replacing a HDD on my laptop: I am needing to replace the hard drive on my laptop. I've read the article about the reinstall process but wanted to ask if I need have old hard drive in place first, then create the boot disk (usb thumb drive) next, and then swap out the old hard drive for the new one, or...