Windows 10: Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ??

Discus and support Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ?? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Pro (Windows 10 [Version 6.3.19042]) system here that I am very happy with; all SSDs, including an M.2 NVMe drive for games,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gorlash, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Gorlash Win User

Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ??

I have a Windows 10 Pro (Windows 10 [Version 6.3.19042]) system here that I am very happy with; all SSDs, including an M.2 NVMe drive for games, excellent video card, tons of USB 3 slots. However, my motherboard is an 8-year-old Gigabyte with Core i7-3820. So I've purchased a modern Ryzen motherboard (Asus AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)), CPU (Ryzen 7 3800X), 32GB RAM...

I would *really* wish to replace the motherboard/cpu/ram on this machine, without losing my 8 years of software history, and I hope to just update the existing Windows 10 Pro license with the new hardware. Drives and video will not change. I have an existing DVD/BluRay optical drive which will still be available on the new system.

Is this possible?? If so, do you have an existing how-to guide here that walks me through what I need to prepare for this?
    If not, could I get advise here one what I will need to do?

Thank you for any assistance that you can provide for this.

:)

Gorlash, Jan 31, 2021

2. REplacing motherboard with refurbished motherboard

Hi Keith,

to keep license you need to replace motherboard by warranty. Sorry that are the license terms. If this will be warranty replacement please remember technician to do steps necessary for license keeping.

Igor Leyko, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Reactivating after motherboard replacement.

Hi,

unfortunately preinstalled Windows is tied to motherboard and one loses license if motherboard was replaced not by warranty.

Igor Leyko, Jan 31, 2021
  4. idigweeds Win User

Replacing my mother board... need to buy new Win10 license?

The motherboard on my PC died and will need to be replaced. Will I be forced to buy a Win10 license, or is the MS system understanding of such situations?

idigweeds, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

1. Replace motherboard,etc without losing data - or Win10 license ?? - Similar Threads - Replace motherboard etc

2. unallocated HDD without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unallocated HDD without losing data: Hello i have problemi have HDD Disk 2 but there some stuff on there i dont want to lose it or format is there any solution to fix it? without losing data plz :?...
  3. unallocated HDD without losing data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unallocated HDD without losing data: Hello i have problemi have HDD Disk 2 but there some stuff on there i dont want to lose it or format is there any solution to fix it? without losing data plz :?...
  4. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  5. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  6. Switching from Win10 LTSB to Win10 Enterprise without losing all data?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching from Win10 LTSB to Win10 Enterprise without losing all data?: WINDOWS VERSION: Windows 10 Enterprise N 2016 LTSB VERSION NUMBER: Version 1607 OS BUILD: 14393.4104 Hello one and all, I come to you in need of assistance (with a fair amount of shame). Back when Windows 10 first launched I was still operating my first game PC build, which...
  7. Reloading Win10 without losing data or apps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reloading Win10 without losing data or apps: My Win10 installation is misbehaving in various minor ways. I've run sfc/scannow and that turns out clear. A possible solution is to reinstall windows without disturbing apps and existing data. I found what appears to be a pretty clear video on u-Tube but before I go ahead. I...
  8. Reloading Win10 without losing data or apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Reloading Win10 without losing data or apps: My Win10 installation is misbehaving in various minor ways. I've run sfc/scannow and that turns out clear. A possible solution is to reinstall windows without disturbing apps and existing data. I found what appears to be a pretty clear video on u-Tube but before I go ahead. I...
  9. Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading motherboard etc affect license?: I had my PC installed with Windows 8 around 2014 I think and a retail license which I have by an IT engineer. Since then, I've been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro v1809 which has been activated with a digital license linked to my MS account. My situation is I'm updating my...
  10. Not able to activate Win10 after Motherboard replacement, no digital license linked to my...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Not able to activate Win10 after Motherboard replacement, no digital license linked to my...: I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate purchased software during the free upgrade period. I did not have presence of mind to link the digital license code to my MS account (seldom used nuisance). Recently I was forced to replace the Motherboard of my PC due to hardware failure. I am...