Windows 10: replace MS office Home and Student 2010 with Libre office

Discus and support replace MS office Home and Student 2010 with Libre office in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I don't want to lose all my information that is currently in word format. Do I install Libreoffice first then use add remove to remove MS to switch... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by maranna, Dec 30, 2017.

1. maranna Win User

replace MS office Home and Student 2010 with Libre office

I don't want to lose all my information that is currently in word format.
    Do I install Libreoffice first then use add remove to remove MS to switch and keep my files?
    I do not know how to make the transition and not lose my data in my desktop and also two flash drives.
    Thank you

:)

maranna, Dec 30, 2017
  2. Ratandeep Win User

MS Office Home and Student 2010 does not work

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue.

I would suggest you to repair Office and check if it helps.

Refer this article:

Repair an Office application

Repair an Office application

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Ratandeep, Dec 30, 2017
  3. Bouncer12 Win User
    MS Office Home and Student 2010 does not work

I have a similar problem with windows 10 upgrade from windows 7, my power point with office 2010 home and student version keep on crashing (it went to save document mode for a long time without recovering) and then the whole PP file is gone.

I did a repair and it seems to work, but for some reason, when I open a PP file, instead of displaying the PP at the Home tab, it went into Design tab mode.

What should I do?

I read the answer from MS engineer Ratandeep suggesting reinstall in this community, but I also read in this community that windows 10 will not let you do a reinstall of 2010 Home and Student Office app. What do I do now?

Bouncer12, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Don't worry about it, just install LibreOffice and if prompted choose to Associate the Office/Word/Excel files with LO. Or in Control Panel or Settings locate Default Programs and re-associate as desired. Both suites can reside on the computer, at least that's the way I do it.

Berton, Dec 30, 2017
  5. maranna Win User
    Will do.I am curious as to what would happen if I remove MS; would my files remain with just Libreoffice?

I tried Google Docs but it is too confusing, for me.

maranna, Dec 30, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Yes, your Documents Folder should have all your files unless a different Folder was specified. Uninstalling a program usually doesn't take out the documents but it's always wise to back them up or copy to a different Folder or Drive.

Berton, Dec 30, 2017
  7. maranna Win User
    >I have them backed up in two different flash drives and external drives. I may install Libre and uninstall MS.[add/remove]. Then I guess it will take some tinkering to make all files cross platform as in .rtf. Boy is M$ getting greedy or what? Why can't a guy just buy the product like before?

maranna, Dec 31, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

Don't get too worried, I haven't found many MS Office documents that LO couldn't open as-is, without converting. One might have issues with some of what I call 'fancy' formatting that MS Office can do. The only real issue is LO doesn't have an E-Mail Client to replace MS Outlook but there's some free Clients to be found on the Internet if not wanting to do Webmail/Online E-Mail. One advantage for my older clients is LO can still work with the older Microsoft Works files that have their Recipes from several years in the past.

Berton, Dec 31, 2017
  9. maranna Win User
    l use the client but yes there are others.

maranna, Dec 31, 2017
  10. PromU Win User
    Out of curiosity, why would you want to replace a working copy of Office 2010 with LO?

PromU, Dec 31, 2017
  11. maranna Win User
    >I would love to keep it but from what I have read, some support has been discontinued and some will last a couple more years.
    If I am secure for a while I will leave 2010 alone.<

maranna, Dec 31, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    Sorry, but it looks like I was wrong. Office 2010 Home and Student ended in 2012.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/search/13615

Tony K, Dec 31, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Yes, but that's the original version as first released. If that was updated with Service Pack 1 support extended to 10/14/2014, and if then updated to Service Pack 2 there's extended support until 10/13/2020.

14. Tony K Win User
    @Bree

Hmm. First time wrong this year and the day isn't over. *Wink *Biggrin

I had an original post I deleted that stated it was covered, but looked again and thought it wasn't. So the Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 covers all editions then? Rather confusing there IMO.

Tony K, Dec 31, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    It's the same for Office as it is for Windows. Once a 'service pack' is issued it becomes the supported edition. Windows 7 is out of support, but Windows 7 SP1 is still supported. Likewise, Windows 8 is no longer supported because 8.1 replaced it.

Service packs are freely available, so anyone with any edition of Office 2010 can update to the latest service pack to continue to receive extended support.

Thema:

1. replace MS office Home and Student 2010 with Libre office - Similar Threads - replace office Home

2. MS Office 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Office 2010: Hard drive is dying on my other laptop is dying. Trying to get office 2010 off it. Got my product key, but unsure if it will let me use it again. Can't find the exe file for it. I have my product key. But unsure if it will work on my laptop Im using now. I downloaded the file...
  3. Microsoft Office 2010 Home and student

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft Office 2010 Home and student: Good day. I have the Microsoft office Home and student 2010 with product code that I want to install on this laptop but it does not take the cd so now I want to download it from the intern please...
  4. MS Office Home and Student 2019

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Office Home and Student 2019: Because Word had a odd look to the icon, I ran the trouble shooter. Other users told me their 2016 and 2019 Word also looked like mine - very different from any other desktop icons. The troubleshooter found that Word was incompatible and fixed it. Is this an issue that should...
  5. MS Office Home and Student 2019

MS Office Home and Student 2019: Because Word had a odd look to the icon, I ran the trouble shooter. Other users told me their 2016 and 2019 Word also looked like mine - very different from any other desktop icons.<br><u>The troubleshooter found that Word was incompatible and fixed it.<br></u>Is this an...
  6. MS Office Home and Student 2019

MS Office Home and Student 2019: Because Word had a odd look to the icon, I ran the trouble shooter. Other users told me their 2016 and 2019 Word also looked like mine - very different from any other desktop icons. The troubleshooter found that Word was incompatible and fixed it. Is this an issue that should...
  7. Does Libre Office really replace MS Office using Windows 10

Does Libre Office really replace MS Office using Windows 10: I am buying a new laptop with Windows 10 and have been using MS Office 2013 however my new computer does not have Office. Will Libre Office work as a replacement for Office. Will it be able to read files docx ? I am in a quandary whether to purchase MS office Home or not at...
  8. Micsoft Office Student 2010

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Micsoft Office Student 2010: Hi, When Windows 10 updated it deleted my Micosoft Office Student 2010. Please advise how to get back on my PC..... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/micsoft-office-student-2010/b495f5b2-9153-4fd3-a319-ca2730e133c9
  9. MS Office vs Libre Office

MS Office vs Libre Office: Does anyone know if these two will play nice together on the same computer? Any conflicts? Can Libre be removed without affecting/damaging MS Office? 111634
  10. Office Home and Student 2010

Office Home and Student 2010: My Office Home and Student 2010 became corrupted with Win 10 Anniversary edition upgrade. I need to un install / re install this software. This was pre installed on my PC and I have no copy of the original software and I cannot find a download site. I have the product key. I...