Windows 10: Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Am trying to replace existing 128 Gb SSD with a new Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD using a Sata USB Cable. The SSD does not show as a drive so not able to clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Vijay Ramchandani, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro

Am trying to replace existing 128 Gb SSD with a new Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD using a Sata USB Cable.

The SSD does not show as a drive so not able to clone the existing SSD.

It does show under Disk Management but without any assigned drive.

Screenshot shows the new SSD as Disk 1

Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro c0c41201-082f-4497-b5c2-fbee1f38de63?upload=true.png

How to assign a Drive letter to this new SSD so I can clone the existing SSD before replacing it?

:)

Vijay Ramchandani, Aug 19, 2019

2. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Aug 19, 2019
  3. Replacing SSD In Dell XPS Laptop And Windows 10 Pro Installation?

I like my laptop a lot still want to continue using it. I do want to upgrade the battery to 97wh. I know there is 84wh and 97wh. Someone mentioned that if i have the 2.5 inch ssd removed, the the 84wh battery or 97wh battery will fit. Can anyone here confirm this 100%? Such as they done this or know someone that has done this? For example my processor is i5-6300hq and i know most xps 15 9550 laptops have an i7 processor. So the processor would not interfere with the battery at all right? Because i want to do this and buy all the parts. And if i do this, i have to remove my 250gb 2.5 inch ssd and get a m.2 ssd correct? I do have one at the moment 32gb that is in my laptop at the moment that came along with it but obviously its not big enough. I want to get bigger ssd... either 500gb or even 1tb one. So if i plan to use this laptop for a long time, best to get 1gb ssd? Also i know most ppl use a laptop for 2-3 years before they move to another one. But would you say its possible to use this laptop for many more years to come? Or it won't once windows 10 is replaced similar to like how no one uses windows 7? But surely upgrading it to the next windows on this laptop would fix this issue right?
    I want to also upgrade ram from 8gb to 16gb. My laptop would get much more faster than right? The other issue is this. When i got this laptop new from ebay, it came with windows 10 home. When i went to repair shop to have them take out my 7200rpm ssd that came with the laptop and put in my old samsung 2.5 inch 250gb ssd, that person not only did that... but they installed a windows 10 pro copy for me. I did not ask this but they did it for me anyway. I don't recall how much i paid for the installation of windows though.

Now if i go to a computer shop and bring my laptop to them and have them take out my 56wh battery and replace it with 97wh battery, replace ram from 8gb to 16gb and take out the 250gb 2.5 inch ssd and 32gb m. 2 ssd and replace it with a 500gb or 1tb m.2 ssd, the moment they turn on my laptop, i will be starting fresh like a new computer right since you put a brand new ssd in it? Now here is another thing. When they set up windows 10 for me... or i do it myself... i will only have windows 10 home? Or would it be able to use the windows 10 pro i currently have now? I took a look at my settings and see my product key for windows 10 pro. So do i make sure i write that key on a piece of paper? That way when windows 10 home gets installed... then i upgrade to pro by entering that product code? Or would my windows 10 pro key not be valid anymore because its currently used on my computer now? Do i need to deactivate it on my computer first before i can activate it on the new ssd? I want windows 10 pro because i use bitlocker for it.

Also if i want to do all this would you say this is better than buying a completely new laptop such as dell xps 9570 or 7590? I estimate the parts and installation to be like this

97wh battery = $100
    16gb ram = $70
    500gb m.2 ssd = $100

Battery installation =$50
    Ram installation = $50
    SSD Installation and SSD Removal = $60

Total = $270 + 160 = $430

Would you say that is good estimate? Now wouldn't there be another installation fee since i have to get windows 10 installed once they put in my m.2 ssd? That probably is another $100?

Now if i were to buy a new xps 15 9570 with the same specs i want of 97wh battery, 16gb ram, 500gb m.2 ssd, i know it will cost minimum $1400. Also i read this laptop has tons of issues compared to the xps 15 9550 right? I heard it works for short time and not working and things like the battery is very poor compared to the 9550? Those of you who had the 9550, 9560 and 9570, how would you rate them from best to worst? Is it the 9550 still the best? I do know that the 9570 has a faster i7-8750h processor though. But is it much faster than my current i5-6300hq? Again, my laptop is more than fast enough for me.

Also don't even bother with the new 7590 since not only is it much more expensive, but its not been out long so ppl dont know if it has ton of issues right? I know that cost a lot more. If at the moment my laptop had the 97wh battery, the only thing i would consider replacing is get the m.2 ssd and upgrade ram.

Thanks.

paulyjustin, Aug 19, 2019
  4. Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro

SSD disappeared and laptop acting weird after HDD replacement?

Hi!

Long story short (can give more details if it helps), started hearing sounds from laptop and correctly guessed hard disk was in danger of failing. Got it to the repair people before it failed, who copied my data to an external, then replaced my 1TB HDD with
    a 500GB HDD.

I've got a few more issues, but the simplest to answer would be... is it normal that I'm not seeing the second drive (D:/) that I used to have? Replacing the HDD and therefore reinstalling windows 10 shouldn't have messed with the SSD, right? And I'm guessing
    unless they physically took it out of the laptop (doubtful), it should still be there. However, laptop can't see it in Disk Management. Currently there's:

1. C: - about 465GB
    2. Disk 0 partition 3 - 100MB
    3. System reserved - 549MB

The original specifications say "128GB PCIe SSD" - where did it go?!

Thanks Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro :(

WannabeTechie2, Aug 19, 2019
Thema:

Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro

1. Replace SSD on Laptop with Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Replace SSD Laptop

2. replacement SSD drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    replacement SSD drive for laptop: My laptop cannot see my SSD drive so I assume it has failed, I am having trouble finding a replacement.The SSD drive installed in my laptop is an SK Hynix, I am attaching a photo of it.The is the only similar drive I have found and do not know if if it is...
  3. replacing windows 10 pro with windows 10 on laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    replacing windows 10 pro with windows 10 on laptop: I recently purchased a used laptop that has Windows 10 Pro on it. It keeps asking me to activate it, but I can't because it says I need to be connected to the organization's activation server. I tried to download Windows 10 and thought it had worked because when I went to...
  4. Replacing HDD by SSD While maintaining the windows 10 pro OEM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing HDD by SSD While maintaining the windows 10 pro OEM: I have a windows 10 pro OEM software license and I want to replace the HDD with SSD how can transfer the license from HDD to the SSD ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replacing-hdd-by-ssd-while-maintaining-the-windows/ce5af199-e838-48df-b4f1-b3eec56b7e03
  5. Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HDD with SSD in Laptop - Reinstal Windows 10: I am a home user having HP Pavilion laptop - Windows 10, 1 TB HDD, 8GB RAM I intend replacing internal 1 TB HDD with 240 GB SSD Internal SSD will have only Windows 10, MS Office and other basic software HDD will be converted to external disk for storage. I have Windows 10...
  6. Installing replacement SSD on laptop

Installing replacement SSD on laptop: I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running the latest Windows 10 Home. Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1198) The laptop is a Toshiba satellite S855 Intel cpu i7-3610QM, 8GB installed ram Its old hdd is extremely slow so I want to replace it with a 1 TB ssd. The SSD is a Samsung...
  7. Replace SSD with Windows 10 on it.

Replace SSD with Windows 10 on it.: I have a w 10 Pro Asus PC, with the following: SSD 128 GB with the OS of W10 Pro on it, Intel 7700 Processor, 1GB Hd being used for data, and other things which are not so important for what I like to ask for here. I am considering to replace the 128GB SSD with a 500GB or...
  8. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  9. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.: Hey, I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd. The laptop does not have an additional hdd option. Thanks in...
  10. Replacing SSD In Dell XPS Laptop And Windows 10 Pro Installation?

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing SSD In Dell XPS Laptop And Windows 10 Pro Installation?: Laptop is dell xps 15 9550 i5-6300hq processor 8gb ram 250gb ssd 32gb m.2 ssd 3 cell 56wh battery I bought this laptop brand new few years ago on ebay not knowing that having a 2nd hard drive meant i get the 3 cell smaller battery. It also came with a regular 7200 rpm...