Windows 10: Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?

Discus and support Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I'm currently running Windows 10 Home with an OEM license. I need to replace my motherboard, but I can't buy the same model because it's no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Michael Pettitt, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?

Hello.

I'm currently running Windows 10 Home with an OEM license. I need to replace my motherboard, but I can't buy the same model because it's no longer being manufactured. Since I have my Windows installation set up the way I want it, I'd like to replace my OEM product key with a retail one so that I can install the new motherboard without having to completely reinstall Windows. I've read several conflicting articles on whether or not this is possible, so I thought it would be best to come to the source. If I were to buy a Windows 10 Home product key from Microsoft, would it count as a retail key? If so, could I then use it to replace my OEM product key?

(As a side note, I've linked my current install to my Microsoft account. Don't know if this will cause any conflicts.)

:)

Michael Pettitt, Nov 30, 2019
  2. OneMoar Win User

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

indeed OEM's have embedded keys a OEM upgrade is for machines with OEM copies and DO NOT COME WITH A KEY! sadly many vendors confuse the two because pre-windows 10 'OEM" came with a key
    a end user should always buy a Retail OR "System builder OEM" copy when it comes to windows 10 system builder is not `OEM` you can blame microsoft for the retarded terminology screw up

it sounds like the op bought a pirated copy with no key microsoft does not ship windows 10 on optical disks .... they use flash drives

OneMoar, Nov 30, 2019
  3. EviLZeD Win User
    activate windows 7 oem key

Ive installed windows 7 using retail disk but with an oem key it worked fine you can always change the key from right clicking my computer-properties then selecting change product key

EviLZeD, Nov 30, 2019
  4. taz420nj Win User

Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

LOL yes they do. Legit OEM copies DO come with a key - on a sticker that you affix to the case. OEM and SLP (System Locked Preactivation) are NOT the same thing. SLP is what large OEMs like Dell, HP, etc do, where every system came out of the factory activated with the same "Manufacturer's Master" key in XP, Vista, and 7. Reinstalling with the factory image preserves this activation. However if you dig that key out with Magical Jellybean and try to do a clean install with it, activation will fail. That's why every machine that came out of a factory ALSO had a COA with a unique key. That is what you need to use for a clean install. Starting with 8, large OEMs began embedding the unique key into the BIOS, which is why they no longer come with a unique key sticker. However, you can still buy legit OEM versions of every version (the ones that small shops would use for their custom machines) - including 10 - which come with the sticker with a unique key.

The only differences between OEM and Retail versions is that the OEM version locks to the first motherboard it is activated on, while Retail can be moved to a different one. OEM also come with no support.

taz420nj, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?

1. Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key? - Similar Threads - Replace OEM key

2. How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to replace digital OEM License with digital Retail License No Product Key: Hi Everyone,I upgraded my desktop, mainboard + cpu + NVMe. I wished to keep NVME but it was not detected on new mobo, I had to change it too. It was bad memory with Manufacturer. I found that new NVMe has OS pre-installed with OEM lic somehow, but I want to transfer my Retail...
  3. Retail and OEM product keys

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Retail and OEM product keys: Hello there, I want to buy a product key to activate my OS. In the web I found that there are two types. One is using a retail keyquite expensive and other is using a OEM key. I further found that once you activate using a OEM key it is locked to that device while retail...
  4. Can i replace my oem windows 10 homr single language key with pro retail key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i replace my oem windows 10 homr single language key with pro retail key: Hi im here to clarify my doubt that im going to change my mother board at any time so i dont want my oem key which i installed in my pc can i change it with retail key after installing it no problem comes?...
  5. Windows to retail key switched to oem

Windows to retail key switched to oem: So I recently built a new desktop, and I realized I had an old laptop with windows 10 on it, so I took the key from that pc and put it onto my new desktop. Everything is working great, but I am wanting to take the key off when I clone my ssd, so I can put it back on after....
  6. Windows 8 and Windows 10 OEM/Retail Keys

Windows 8 and Windows 10 OEM/Retail Keys: I had a laptop running Windows 8 with what I believe was an OEM key however after I upgraded to Windows 10 for free it became a Windows 10 Retail Key? someone explain that to me? And does that mean I'm able to use the key on another device assuming I deactivate it on the...
  7. Replace the Home OEM key with a Pro OEM key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replace the Home OEM key with a Pro OEM key: Hi all, I ordered a new Ryzen 9 4900H laptop and it comes with Windows 10 Home. I am assuming this is OEM version of Windows and the product key is tied to the BIOS as per normal. I also have a spare Windows 10 Pro OEM key (not retail). If I wipe all partitions, and clean...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade applied to OEM key instead of retail key.

Windows 10 upgrade applied to OEM key instead of retail key.: I just purchased the "upgrade to windows 10 pro" for $100 on the Microsoft store, and during the process had to put in an activation key. After purchasing the upgrade, I was upset to learn that it applied the upgrade to an OEM copy of windows that I am running on my computer...
  9. Retail Key becoming a OEM one

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Retail Key becoming a OEM one: Quick question, if someone is able to assist me: Bought a New pc with no Win 10. Old PC has a retail Win 10. Can I change Product Key (here) on Old PC with a OEM key WITHOUT reinstalling Win, and then use the retail key in the New PC? Would this be a safe move? Thank you!...
  10. Windows 10 Retail Pack with OEM Key

Windows 10 Retail Pack with OEM Key: I bought Windows 10 Pro Retail Pack from an online seller. Got the pack and it read "Win Pro 10 32-bit/64-bit Eng Intl USB RS" and the key card had "RETAIL" mentioned under the license key. But after installing it from the USB and entering this license key, when it got...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win replace oem with retail