Windows 10: Replaced hard drive, installed windows, went OK. Reverted to old drive, won't boot.

Discus and support Replaced hard drive, installed windows, went OK. Reverted to old drive, won't boot. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a windows 8 computer. I removed the hard drive from the computer and replaced it with a new one. I installed windows 10 on it and it works. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aoeudihtns, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Replaced hard drive, installed windows, went OK. Reverted to old drive, won't boot.

I have a windows 8 computer. I removed the hard drive from the computer and replaced it with a new one. I installed windows 10 on it and it works. When I remove the new drive and replace the old one, I cannot boot to it. It shows a black screen with an underscore. When both drives are installed it will boot to the new windows 10 and I can see the old drive and its files. I ultimately want to be able to select which drive to boot to on startup. Thanks for the help.

:)

aoeudihtns, Mar 30, 2020
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Replaced hard drive, installed windows, went OK. Reverted to old drive, won't boot. :)

dhdude, Mar 30, 2020
  3. El_Mayo Win User
    Need help installing a new hard drive

Basically what I'm saying is I want to install windows onto my new hard drive and boot from it
    But for windows 7 to recognize that it's a two drive system, as opposed to just replacing the old hard drive entirely with a new one

El_Mayo, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Replaced hard drive, installed windows, went OK. Reverted to old drive, won't boot.

Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Replaced hard drive, installed windows, went OK. Reverted to old drive, won't boot.

1. Replaced hard drive, installed windows, went OK. Reverted to old drive, won't boot. - Similar Threads - Replaced hard drive

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Replaced a hard drive and now my windows 10 won't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replaced a hard drive and now my windows 10 won't boot: So the title is a good summary, but here's the long version.I have a windows 10 install on my ssd, the installation is rather old, as it was a windows 7 to 10 free upgrade. Back then I had an HDD. For some weird reason that HDD had a faulty installation of windows 10 as well,...
  6. Replaced a hard drive and now my windows 10 won't boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replaced a hard drive and now my windows 10 won't boot: So the title is a good summary, but here's the long version.I have a windows 10 install on my ssd, the installation is rather old, as it was a windows 7 to 10 free upgrade. Back then I had an HDD. For some weird reason that HDD had a faulty installation of windows 10 as well,...
  7. Replaced a hard drive and now my windows 10 won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive replacement: The Dell OptiPlex 3050 AIO with a 4GB RAM that I use has been slow. As I type this message, with just Firefox in use, the 84% of the memory is used according the the Processes screen. In fact last week, the system stopped and the blue screen appeared with a message 'Memory...
  9. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  10. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive replacement: Hello everyone, I am shopping for a new PC from HP. I am thinking ahead of time so that I can be ready for when this happens. I know that over time hard drives begin to slow down and then eventually stop working. So in the future, what will happen when I replace the hard...