Windows 10: Replaced hard drive, shortcuts pointing to wrong place

Discus and support Replaced hard drive, shortcuts pointing to wrong place in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; win ver. 1903 (build 18362.836) my operating system is stored in my SSD, which is working just fine. my HDD failed this morning and I have replaced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yanna, Jun 8, 2020.

1. yanna Win User

Replaced hard drive, shortcuts pointing to wrong place

win ver. 1903 (build 18362.836)

my operating system is stored in my SSD, which is working just fine.

my HDD failed this morning and I have replaced it just now, and have it set up. however my file explorer still shows all the shortcuts ("my documents" "downloads" "pictures" etc) that point to the old hard drive.

ive tried to google the answer but no luck. i cannot find anything that is relevant enough to help me, as most of the solutions say I should move my user files back to the old drive and repair etc etc etc. which i cannot do because my old drive is dead.

thank you

edit: inadvertently found the solution

right click > properties > location tab > move... > (choose new location)

:)

yanna, Jun 8, 2020

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Windows 10, Occasional Error, No Hard Drive, after Hard Drive Replacement

Hi,

System corruption can cause issues detecting your computer's hard drive. For us to properly investigate on your concern, we'd like to confirm the following information:

• On which cases do you receive the startup error?
    • Aside from replacing the hard drive, have you made any significant changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • Have you tried plugging in the replaced hard drive to another computer to check if the same thing occurs?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will be waiting for your reply so we can move forward to resolving your query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Mathragh Win User

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Replaced hard drive, shortcuts pointing to wrong place - Similar Threads - Replaced hard drive

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive replacement: The Dell OptiPlex 3050 AIO with a 4GB RAM that I use has been slow. As I type this message, with just Firefox in use, the 84% of the memory is used according the the Processes screen. In fact last week, the system stopped and the blue screen appeared with a message 'Memory...
  6. Replacing the Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing the Hard drive: I have a Toshiba laptop with 300 GB hard driver. I want to replace the hard drive with 1 TB. what is the simplest way to replace without disturbing my drivers and installed software?...
  7. Hard drive replace

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive replace: I had a corrupt Hard drive and sent my laptop off to be fixed. They have replace the failed hard drive and update the operating system. I have now lost everything, photos, documents etc. not that great with tech through some research I'm guessing everything was saved on my...
  8. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  9. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive replacement: Hello everyone, I am shopping for a new PC from HP. I am thinking ahead of time so that I can be ready for when this happens. I know that over time hard drives begin to slow down and then eventually stop working. So in the future, what will happen when I replace the hard...
  10. Documents folder in quick access pointing to wrong place.

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder in quick access pointing to wrong place.: Hi, In the quick access area of the file browser the documents folder is pointing to a drive that no longer exists. The folder is pinned to the top of the file list and it wont unpin. How do I either unpin it or make it point to the correct location. Many Thanks 27250