Windows 10: replaced HDD: Windows activation

Discus and support replaced HDD: Windows activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My HDD has died and I am going to install SSD. Can I install Windows 10 on the SSD and activate it? I purchased this PC with pre-installed Windows 10 a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MatthewClifford Oswalt, Apr 3, 2020.

1. replaced HDD: Windows activation

My HDD has died and I am going to install SSD. Can I install Windows 10 on the SSD and activate it? I purchased this PC with pre-installed Windows 10 a while ago.

:)

MatthewClifford Oswalt, Apr 3, 2020

2. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?

Ramkesh.baghel, Apr 3, 2020
  3. Windows activation error

Hi Brandon,

Before replacing the Mother Board if Windows 10 was activated, then you can refer the steps/link below for activating Windows 10.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 3, 2020
  4. replaced HDD: Windows activation

Replacing my broken HDD. (windows 10 activation)

My current HDD in my laptop is dying and i'm replacing it soon with a new ssd. I'm just worried that if i install the new ssd and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it it might not activate?

so what i'm asking is would i still be able to activate a fresh install of windows 10 on my laptop even if i replaced the hdd with a new one?

I only upraded to win10 for free back when i had win8.1

It also says on the settings/activation tab: "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account"

thanks in advance. replaced HDD: Windows activation :)

Paolo Escoto, Apr 3, 2020
Thema:

replaced HDD: Windows activation

1. replaced HDD: Windows activation - Similar Threads - replaced HDD activation

2. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  3. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  4. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.: I recently replaced a failed HDD and bad ram in a refurbished laptop.After re-installing windows it refused to activate.It is a multi-user machine that was never, to my knowledge, registered to a Microsoft Account.I do not have a copy of the windows key.I DO have the CoA...
  6. Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.: I recently replaced a failed HDD and bad ram in a refurbished laptop.After re-installing windows it refused to activate.It is a multi-user machine that was never, to my knowledge, registered to a Microsoft Account.I do not have a copy of the windows key.I DO have the CoA...
  7. Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Help In replacing an hdd activity light

in Windows 10 Support
    Help In replacing an hdd activity light: Musetex phantom ATX midtower case(903-S6) and the activity light for the hard drive isn't working. I have a replacement but I have never replaced an hdd activity light before.(There's a pin for the front umbelacles which I have corrected) Any tips/help would be appreciated...
  9. Windows 10 don't activate after replacing HDD with SSD. Win10 is activated when HDD is...

Windows 10 don't activate after replacing HDD with SSD. Win10 is activated when HDD is...: Hello, I replaced my HDD with SSD and installed Windows 10. Using the SSD Windows10 is not activated I tried using the Troubleshoot options as well as deleting and adding devices on my Microsoft account. But still no success activating my Windows 10. I have a digital license...
  10. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...