Windows 10: Replaced motherboard and Windows won't activate, Troubleshooter finds nothing.

Discus and support Replaced motherboard and Windows won't activate, Troubleshooter finds nothing. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I recently replaced some hardware including my motherboard and windows is no longer activated. I tried finding it through multiple ways of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DubzHD37, Oct 20, 2020.

1. DubzHD37 Win User

Replaced motherboard and Windows won't activate, Troubleshooter finds nothing.

Hello, I recently replaced some hardware including my motherboard and windows is no longer activated. I tried finding it through multiple ways of things people have said on the internet as well as using Microsoft's own troubleshooter but to no avail. any suggestions?

:)

DubzHD37, Oct 20, 2020
  2. M. Hamer Win User

Troubleshoot activation errors in Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement or entering a Volume License key

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

We have a troubleshooter that can help with certain activation errors you might get:

• If your PC’s manufacturer replaced your motherboard under warranty

• Activation Error 0x803F7001

• If you entered a Volume License product key

Note For these errors, you will need a valid (non-Volume License) product key for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 to finish the activation.

• 0x8007007B

• 0xC004E016

• 0x8007232B

• 0xC004F074

• 0xC004F038

Before trying the troubleshooter, make sure you are on the most current version of Windows 10. From Start, select
    Settings, then choose System, and then press
    About
    . You should see Version 1511 listed. If you don’t see it, then click
    Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update and click
    Check for updates.

Once you know you’re on version 1511, download and run the troubleshooter:
    http://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg79558

If you had one of the Volume License key errors, you will be asked for a new key after the troubleshooter runs.

If you have trouble running the troubleshooter, please reply below.
    If you have another Activation issue, please post in the Download, Install and Activation folder of the Windows 10 support forum.

Results in Windows - Microsoft Community

Details

Activation errors after motherboard replacement

Starting with Windows 8 and continuing with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, most PC manufactures are injecting their Windows product key into the motherboard of the PC.
    This allows the PC to activate automatically when you first boot up the PC and to re-activate if the PC is ever reset or needs a clean install.
    The product key in the motherboard is edition-specific and will only activate that edition of Windows (Home, Pro, etc.).

When the motherboard is replaced under warranty, Windows will detect a hardware change and look for the new product key that was included in the replaced motherboard.
    Sometimes the new product key is not retrieved by Windows, and you get
    Activation Error 0x803F7001
    . The troubleshooter will ask Windows to re- try retrieving the product key from the new motherboard and activated it.

Correcting the mistake of entering a Global Volume License key

The troubleshooter also corrects a second, less common issue.
    If you searched the web, you might have found and entered a Global Volume License (GVL) Key.
    GVL Keys only work for PCs in an Enterprise environment where the administrator has setup this system of licensing.
    If you mistakenly entered a GVL Key, you PC will no longer accept regular product keys, and will give the activation error 0x8007007B (or even 0xC004E016, 0x8007232B, 0xC004F074, 0xC004F038).
    This troubleshooter will identify the GVL Key and replace it with a regular retail default key.
    Your PC will not activate yet, but now will accept normal retail and OEM product keys.

M. Hamer, Oct 20, 2020
  3. KeV_004 Win User
    Windows Activation After motherboard replacement

Good day

After replacing my pc's motherboard I cannot activate windows anymore.

Before the replacement it was working 100%, now all I get is errors.

After troubleshooting

> I changed hardware on this device

I cannot find any other devices linked to my Microsoft account.

Does this mean I have to buy a new product key ?

KeV_004, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Replaced motherboard and Windows won't activate, Troubleshooter finds nothing.

Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate

Hello,

Recently my motherboard stopped working and I had to replace it and the CPU, after buying and replacing the motherboard and CPU my computer is working again but now microsoft is telling me my windows10 pro is not genuine (which of course it is) and it seems
    the only way to get it activated is by spending another $340

How do I find my windows10pro digital licence after I've changed my motherboard?

How can I activate windows now I have changed my motherboard?

Rhys

RhysHorner, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

Replaced motherboard and Windows won't activate, Troubleshooter finds nothing.

1. Replaced motherboard and Windows won't activate, Troubleshooter finds nothing. - Similar Threads - Replaced motherboard won't

2. Policy on activating a replacement motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Policy on activating a replacement motherboard: I read the followinghttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665but it does not address my question. Is there an official policy for when a user needs to replace their motherboard because of...
  3. Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows: The goal: To activate windows on my pc since I changed my motherboard.Notes: I deactivated my previous device which was on my original, now trashed motherboard, a z170xpMy windows edition is quite literally purchased on this account so everything should be linked together to...
  4. Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows: The goal: To activate windows on my pc since I changed my motherboard.Notes: I deactivated my previous device which was on my original, now trashed motherboard, a z170xpMy windows edition is quite literally purchased on this account so everything should be linked together to...
  5. Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Activation after a new motherboard install - troubleshooter does nothing

Activation after a new motherboard install - troubleshooter does nothing: Hi,After fitting a shiny new motherboard into my wife's work PC which has Windows 10 Pro "RETAIL channel" according to slmgr.exe, I cannot get Windows to activate.I have tried the Activation troubleshooter which does nothing except throw up error code 0x80070520, saying "We...
  7. Windows Activation After motherboard replacement

Windows Activation After motherboard replacement: Good day After replacing my pc's motherboard I cannot activate windows anymore. Before the replacement it was working 100%, now all I get is errors. After troubleshooting > I changed hardware on this device I cannot find any other devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  8. Windows activation after motherboard replacement

Windows activation after motherboard replacement: I have a legitimate Windows licence. Some days ago I had to replace a motherboard and a processor. Now my Windows is in the status "Not activated." Please help me activate my Windows...
  9. activation troubleshooter does nothing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    activation troubleshooter does nothing: Hi I just installed a new motherboard (gigabyte 970A-DS3P) and cpu (FX 8350), before doing this I linked my digital license to my Microsoft account. I did the install, then formatted the hard drive and installed windows 10 home. I am set to sign in to my Microsoft account...
  10. Replaced Motherboard and cannot activate windows

Replaced Motherboard and cannot activate windows: How do you thieving extortionist justify wanting a poor person to pay $120 for windows 10 when all I did was have the unmitigated audacity to replace a dead out of warranty $180 HP motherboard with a better and cheaper $80 MSI motherboard? My windows is still the OEM genuine...