Windows 10: Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate

Discus and support Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, Recently my motherboard stopped working and I had to replace it and the CPU, after buying and replacing the motherboard and CPU my computer is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RhysHorner, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate

Hello,

Recently my motherboard stopped working and I had to replace it and the CPU, after buying and replacing the motherboard and CPU my computer is working again but now microsoft is telling me my windows10 pro is not genuine which of course it is and it seems the only way to get it activated is by spending another $340

How do I find my windows10pro digital licence after I've changed my motherboard?

How can I activate windows now I have changed my motherboard?

Rhys

:)

RhysHorner, Mar 9, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Activation of windows key after motherboard replacement.

Hi Nitin

Yes, that page does seem to suggest, you can do that, so you should follow the instructions on that page, which should ensure against activation problems after replacing the motherboard, Microsoft do generally provide a one time exemption to change a motherboard
    on an OEM licence . . .

DaveM121, Mar 9, 2020
  3. Password incorrect after replacing motherboard.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

There is some confusion about hardware changes on a Computer that will impact their free upgrade activation status. To clarify, the ONLY hardware changes that can negatively impact a customer’s activation status once they have upgrade are changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    If you replaces the Motherboard they may have to re activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

You can try to perform a clean install.

I would suggest you to create a ISO file from the below Microsoft Help Article and try to reinstall Windows 10.

Download Windows 10

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 9, 2020
  4. jpob5 Win User

Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate

Can't activate Windows 10 Pro after Motherboard replacement

I got my computer professionally built just over a month ago but had to get them to replace a faulty motherboard. Unfortunately its now not allowing me activate Windows. I definitely activated it before the motherboard broke and its definitely attached
    to my account (I can actually see 2 versions of the same computer in my Microsoft Account devices list). I've only ever used the Product Key on this computer too.

jpob5, Mar 9, 2020
Thema:

Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate

1. Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate - Similar Threads - Replaced motherboard activate

2. Policy on activating a replacement motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Policy on activating a replacement motherboard: I read the followinghttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665but it does not address my question. Is there an official policy for when a user needs to replace their motherboard because of...
  3. Policy on activating a replacement motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Policy on activating a replacement motherboard: I read the followinghttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665but it does not address my question. Is there an official policy for when a user needs to replace their motherboard because of...
  4. Replaced motherboard but now I cannot activate Windows10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replaced motherboard but now I cannot activate Windows10: I originally had upgraded from Windows 7 a few years back and I just replaced my motherboard, but Win10 will not activate now. I have a Windows Pro 10 N version and the guidance I received was to do a full clean install of my OS. I very much would prefer not to do that as I...
  5. Windows Activation After motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation After motherboard replacement: Good day After replacing my pc's motherboard I cannot activate windows anymore. Before the replacement it was working 100%, now all I get is errors. After troubleshooting > I changed hardware on this device I cannot find any other devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  6. Windows activation after motherboard replacement

Windows activation after motherboard replacement: I have a legitimate Windows licence. Some days ago I had to replace a motherboard and a processor. Now my Windows is in the status "Not activated." Please help me activate my Windows...
  7. Replaced the motherboard, unable to activate Windows

Replaced the motherboard, unable to activate Windows: I had to replace the motherboard and the processor on my PC. It was Windows 10 Home 64 bit with a legitimate box license. This license is transferable but I cannot activate my machine....
  8. Replaced Motherboard and Processor and now my windows is not Active

Replaced Motherboard and Processor and now my windows is not Active: Today i replaced my motherboard and processor. I rebooted my PC and everything seems to work fine except i received a notification that my windows is not active. About a year ago i had bought a windows product key from a retail store and entered the product key and upgraded....
  9. Replaced Motherboard now Windows 10 will not Activate

Replaced Motherboard now Windows 10 will not Activate: Hi, I had to replace mother board and now my Windows 10 Pro will not Activate! It shows up in my Microsoft Account online but will not Activate Ran this an this is the screen shot: [ATTACH] This was an upgrade to my copy of Windows 7 Pro, why wont it Activate now?...
  10. Replaced Motherboard and cannot activate windows

Replaced Motherboard and cannot activate windows: How do you thieving extortionist justify wanting a poor person to pay $120 for windows 10 when all I did was have the unmitigated audacity to replace a dead out of warranty $180 HP motherboard with a better and cheaper $80 MSI motherboard? My windows is still the OEM genuine...