Windows 10: Replaced SSD and Now Windows 10 is no longer activated.

Discus and support Replaced SSD and Now Windows 10 is no longer activated. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 with free upgrade in late 2015. Today I replaced a 250 GB SSD with a 500 GB SSD by cloning and now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Frankpc3, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Frankpc3 Win User

Replaced SSD and Now Windows 10 is no longer activated.

My PC was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 with free upgrade in late 2015. Today I replaced a 250 GB SSD with a 500 GB SSD by cloning and now Windows is no longer activated. I have the original Product Key from Windows 7.

I get this error when I try to activate Wndows 10: "We can't reach a critical Windows service. Make sure you're connected to the Internet, wait a few minutes and try activating again. (0x80070422)"

I clicked on "I changed my hardware on this device recently". I was told "Unable to activate Windows" and that no devices with my signon could be found. I upgraded three of my PCs from windows 7 to 10 at that same time. And I am somewhat certain I would have used my Windows signon that I have used for many years.

From a command prompt today, I used:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>slmgr.vbs /upk

C:\WINDOWS\system32>slmgr.vbs /ipk [Product key]

And was told: ("installed successfully" )

But after a reboot, Windows still shows not activated.

I am not certain I know which of my three Windows 7 Product keys apply to which of my three PC's. Also, I don't know whether the Product key being asked for in Windows 10 would be a Windows 7 Product Key.

I used two programs ("ProduKey" and "Belarc Advisor" in each of the three PCs. The Product key returned was the same for the two of them that show to be activated. An "no key" was shown for the PC not shown to be activated.

Any advice?

Thank you!

:)

Frankpc3, Jan 15, 2019

2. Windows activation error

Hi Brandon,

Before replacing the Mother Board if Windows 10 was activated, then you can refer the steps/link below for activating Windows 10.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 15, 2019
  3. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Jan 15, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

How long did you wait for activation?
    When I re-installed with a fresh install... it took a few hours to sync and activate.
    However, it did, finally, activate.

95Viper, Jan 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Replaced SSD and Now Windows 10 is no longer activated. - Similar Threads - Replaced SSD longer

2. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  3. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  4. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. I replaced my HDD with an SSD and now windows won't activate

I replaced my HDD with an SSD and now windows won't activate: I recently bought an ssd for my desktop PC as my old hdd was getting a bit slow and full. I plan on keeping the old hdd for extra storage. I installed the ssd and installed a fresh version of windows 10 on the ssd. I have a windows 10 pro license or enterprise, I'm not sure...
  6. Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate

Replaced motherboard now windows will not activate: Hello, Recently my motherboard stopped working and I had to replace it and the CPU, after buying and replacing the motherboard and CPU my computer is working again but now microsoft is telling me my windows10 pro is not genuine which of course it is and it seems the only way...
  7. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...
  8. Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement

Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement: Hello, I purchased a copy of windows 10 in 2016. Now that I upgraded my ssd, the key is not being recognized. I already tried login with microsoft account and I can't see troubleshooting button on the activation page. Please help Gabe...
  9. Replaced Motherboard now Windows 10 will not Activate

Replaced Motherboard now Windows 10 will not Activate: Hi, I had to replace mother board and now my Windows 10 Pro will not Activate! It shows up in my Microsoft Account online but will not Activate Ran this an this is the screen shot: [ATTACH] This was an upgrade to my copy of Windows 7 Pro, why wont it Activate now?...
  10. Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation

Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation: So I've had a problem with random blue screens and narrowed it down to the SSD as it has many bad blocks. Kingston approved of an RMA so I'm going to do that. How does Windows 10 activation work if I replaced the drive and have to either reinstall windows or port a backup on...