Windows 10: replaced the hard disk, and forgot the windows key

Discus and support replaced the hard disk, and forgot the windows key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, I had purchased a Sony's laptop few years back with Windows 8. then it got upgraded to 8.1. with the release of Windows 10, I accepted a free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by amwadhwa, Jan 6, 2019.

1. amwadhwa Win User

replaced the hard disk, and forgot the windows key

Hi all,
    I had purchased a Sony's laptop few years back with Windows 8. then it got upgraded to 8.1. with the release of Windows 10, I accepted a free upgrade offer. Recently my hard disk had crashed due to which I had to replace it. My motherboard had not been changed but I am unable to find my Windows Activation key.

Kindly guide!

:)

amwadhwa, Jan 6, 2019
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Replacing the hard disk

Hi,

If you are replacing the hard disk, you can still reinstall Windows 10 by performing a direct clean install using the media creation tool.

For more information on how to perform a clean install. Refer to the Use installation media to reinstall Windows 10
    section on this article.

Note: Performing a clean install will remove all your personal files, drivers you installed, apps, customizations from your PC manufacturer, and changes you made to settings so we suggest that you back up all your important
    and personal files.

While performing a clean install, your product key should automatically retrieved from the system but, in case you are still prompted for a product key during the installation, get the product key in advance (before doing a clean install) by following the
    steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • In the list of results, right-click on Command Prompt and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Enter the administrator credentials if prompted.
    • In Command Prompt window, type this command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    • Press Enter.
    • The product key will be revealed. Copy or write it on a paper.

Also, we recommend contacting the device manufacturer for more information if your SSD is compatible with your laptop.

Merry Christmas and feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Jan 6, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Enterprise fails to re-activate after hard disk replacement

The system is a laptop where the single hard disk failed and was replaced. Unfortunately, there was no recent, viable backup of the hard disk that could be used to restore it.

A successful clean install was made from en-gb_windows_10_business_edition_version_1803_update_jul_2018_x64_dvd_12613160.iso.

The first login used my Microsoft Work or School account but I was unable to activate it from that account.

I then created a user with my Microsoft Account (which uses the same email address) but was unable to activate it from that account either.

The laptop has a firmware-embedded activation key. It appears in the devices list for my Microsoft Account and also appears in the devices list in the Azure Active Directory which we receive as part of Office 365.

It is a commodity laptop that was supplied with Windows Home installed; upgraded to Windows Pro using Get Genuine; and upgraded to Windows Enterprise with an OS upgrade using a product key. It was regularly updated before the hard disk failure.

I had anticipated that re-activation after the hard disk replacement should have been simple!

Any pointers to where I might be going wrong? Or suggestions as to how to diagnose this? I'm a volunteer systems administrator for a Museum (non-profit / charity) and this is outside my comfort zone.

JohnConnett, Jan 6, 2019
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Hard disk partition not showing up.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This can happen if the Hard-disk drivers are not up-to date. I would suggest you to update the hard disk drivers first. To update the drivers, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager.
    2. Then Expand “Disk drives”.
    3. Then Right click on the Hard-disk listed under this category.
    4. Then click on Update drivers.
    5. Alternatively you can also try to update the drivers from manufacturer’s website.

Once the hard-disk drivers are updated, you will need to allocate the last partition (it is not allocated according to the screenshot) and you will be able to view the partition.

Also note that sometimes the hard disk partitions/drives might be hidden in This PC or My Computer window due to a Registry key. If a DWORD with the name NoViewOnDrive or NoDrives is present under following key in Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer

Delete the DWORD and your drives will become visible in My Computer window.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

1. replaced the hard disk, and forgot the windows key - Similar Threads - replaced hard disk

2. Hard drive replacement & key code questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive replacement & key code questions: I have an old computer that I need to replace the hard drive on. It came with windows 8 and was upgraded to windows 10 for free somewhere along the way. I do not have an activation key or any way to access that information on this computer because I can’t get back to the...
  3. Windows 10 license key question after replacing hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 license key question after replacing hard disk: I want to replace my old hard disk with a new SSD disk in my desktop PC. After I get the new disk, I need to install Windows 10. Can I still use the license key or what is the proper way to ensure I can use the same license key? Nothing else changed in the PC, just the hard...
  4. Windows 10 license key question after replacing hard disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 license key question after replacing hard disk: I want to replace my old hard disk with a new SSD disk in my desktop PC. After I get the new disk, I need to install Windows 10. Can I still use the license key or what is the proper way to ensure I can use the same license key? Nothing else changed in the PC, just the hard...
  5. Windows 10 license key question after replacing hard disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Replacing New Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing New Hard Disk: Hello,If I restore a backup image of the system (which contains windows 10 and office) to a brand new disk (same computer), do I have to re-license /re-validate the windows and office ?Answers will be appreciated.ThanksWidows 10, 20H2 x64, 19042.1165 183706
  7. Product key hard disc replaced

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product key hard disc replaced: I purchased laptop with pre installed windows 10, my hard disc was crashed I replaced with new one. How to get my product key by using my pc device information ?...
  8. Activation problem after hard disk replacement

Activation problem after hard disk replacement: I bought a Dell laptop 5 years back with windows 8.1 pre-loaded. After some time it was upgraded to Windows 10 without any challenge. Recently the hard disc crashed and it had to be replaced. The technician retrieved the embedded Windows 8.1 activation key through...
  9. Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement

Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement: I had upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. However, my hard disk crashed and my service provider re installed window 7 after installing new hard disk. Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 and windows will identify earlier activation if its not based on hard disk....
  10. Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD: Hi! I have an HP Envy x360 m6-aq105dx convertible laptop that I bought from Best Buy. I'd like to replace the slow hard disk with an SSD, but I don't have the Windows 10 Product key to create an installable USB flash drive. It looks like there may be some non-trivial ways to...