Windows 10: � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications

Discus and support � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This character �(REPLACEMENT CHARACTER) appears when I try to use 3 digit alt codes such as Alt-130 for é in Microsoft applications, e.g. word but not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MalcolmEDWARDS2, Feb 26, 2019.

1. � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications

This character �(REPLACEMENT CHARACTER) appears when I try to use 3 digit alt codes such as Alt-130 for é in Microsoft applications, e.g. word but not in Microsoft Edge, for example.

Is there a simple registry adjustment to restore the use of these Alt codes from the ASCII set ?

Thanks Malcolm

:)

MalcolmEDWARDS2, Feb 26, 2019
  2. jjvdgeer Win User

Accented characters on E70

You can enter accented characters by using the Chr key in combination with the letter you want to put an accent on. By tapping the letter a few times you can cycle through the different available accents.

Although this is OK for the characters at the righthand part of the keyboard, I think it is rather difficult for the characters at the lefthand side of the keyboard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jan-Jaap

jjvdgeer, Feb 26, 2019
  3. rwvo Win User
    Accented characters on E70

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to input accented characters (like é en ä) on the E70 with the phone folded open? I would have expected that switching to Dutch would change the input mode such that pressing for instance
    e and ' consecutively would give an é, but no such luck. Right now, the only way of entering accented characters that I know of using the full keyboard is holding the control key while pressing the ascii code of the desired character, which is
    inconvenient even for the few characters for which I know the ascii code by heart. Alternatively, one can close the full keyboard and use the numerical keypad to cycle through the available characters, but constantly switching between the full keyboard and
    the numerical keyboard is'n really my idea of convenient text input. Thanks, René (that would be Ren<CTRL><233> � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications :) )

4. � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications

Accented Characters input using Touch keyboard, Microsoft Surface Book.

Hi Janet,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern and appreciate the time and effort that you have taken to research on the issue. We have looked into this for you, the character options when you press and hold a letter is available on the Touch Keyboard, you can enable
    the Touch Keyboard by turning the Tablet mode ‘ON’ on your Surface Book. To enable the tablet mode on your Surface, you can follow the steps below.

1. Enable Tablet mode by referring
      Turn tablet mode on or off
    2. Then click on keyboard icon at the right bottom corner of the taskbar.

� REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications 8bf03f29-f3b2-4dcd-99bd-9edc6c2a7d52?upload=true.png

3. Then try using foreign character and symbols.

You can refer the picture below for the character options that are available for letter ‘e’.

� REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications 9b5cc53e-bf09-4647-bd29-7b6dd8a2f170?upload=true.png

However, the On-screen keyboard will provide the options that are similar to a physical keyboard. For more information on the character options that are available, I would suggest you to refer to

Type Accented Characters
    and check if it helpful to you.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

� REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications

1. � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications - Similar Threads - � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER

2. Alt codes for special characters not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alt codes for special characters not working: I have a new Lenovo Yoga 530 with Windows 10. My keyboard doesn't have a numpad on the right hand side. Alt codes for special characters are not working in document apps or any other text input area in a web browser etc. I have done the following but it hasn't worked: 1....
  3. Extra characters when typing

in Windows 10 Support
    Extra characters when typing: When I type a word in a text app like Mail, every word is preceded with an extra character, usually a lower case m. 144560
  4. Disabling ctrl alt characters

Disabling ctrl alt characters: Hello Microsoft community, I have never had this problem until today when I did a fresh install of Windows 10. A lot of programs I use for development have ctrl alt shortcuts, for some reason some of the keys do not toggle the shortcuts I have bound to them. Upon further...
  5. double characters

double characters: I’ve encountered a problem with my keyboard. When I am pressing the key, I get a double character https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-characters/107dc2ea-1181-4236-9328-1153fa7c3710
  6. On-Screen keyboard closes when using AltGr characters.

On-Screen keyboard closes when using AltGr characters.: Hello! I'm using On-Screen keyboard on my desktop computer. If I want to write characters like <>#&@ etc... then it closes itself after writing one special character which required pressing the AltGr key. How to fix this? It's very annoying....
  7. How to fix Replacement Character � in some names

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to fix Replacement Character � in some names: I've some music files since 2010, in their naming sometimes I see Replacement Characters � (see image), what is a reason for that and how can I fix them? [ATTACH])...
  8. ALT Characters WON'T type

ALT Characters WON'T type: Hi, I am using a French keyboard (Dell SK-8165). The top numbers row has 12 keys. The firs left key has: #, \ and | characters The second key has: 1, ! and + and - characters The third key has: 2, " and @ characters The fourth key has: 3, / and £ characters The fifth...
  9. Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot type ALT+### Codes for Special Characters: This problem has gone one for 3 years. ALT+### codes do not work for most Windows Apps. I have had Windows Support troubleshoot this, with no success. I have had SteelSeries (keyboard manufacturer) troubleshoot this, with no success. The only app I have that it works with is...
  10. ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List: How to: ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List How to Type Special Characters with ALT Keyboard Sequences [img] Information Many special characters are available that may not appear on your keyboard. This tutorial will show you how to type special characters using...