Windows 10: � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications

Discus and support � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This character �(REPLACEMENT CHARACTER) appears when I try to use 3 digit alt codes such as Alt-130 for é in Microsoft applications, e.g. word but not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MalcolmEDWARDS2, Feb 26, 2019.

1. � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications

This character �(REPLACEMENT CHARACTER) appears when I try to use 3 digit alt codes such as Alt-130 for é in Microsoft applications, e.g. word but not in Microsoft Edge, for example.

Is there a simple registry adjustment to restore the use of these Alt codes from the ASCII set ?

Thanks Malcolm

:)

MalcolmEDWARDS2, Feb 26, 2019
  2. jjvdgeer Win User

Accented characters on E70

You can enter accented characters by using the Chr key in combination with the letter you want to put an accent on. By tapping the letter a few times you can cycle through the different available accents.

Although this is OK for the characters at the righthand part of the keyboard, I think it is rather difficult for the characters at the lefthand side of the keyboard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jan-Jaap

jjvdgeer, Feb 26, 2019
  3. rwvo Win User
    Accented characters on E70

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to input accented characters (like é en ä) on the E70 with the phone folded open? I would have expected that switching to Dutch would change the input mode such that pressing for instance
    e and ' consecutively would give an é, but no such luck. Right now, the only way of entering accented characters that I know of using the full keyboard is holding the control key while pressing the ascii code of the desired character, which is
    inconvenient even for the few characters for which I know the ascii code by heart. Alternatively, one can close the full keyboard and use the numerical keypad to cycle through the available characters, but constantly switching between the full keyboard and
    the numerical keyboard is'n really my idea of convenient text input. Thanks, René (that would be Ren<CTRL><233> � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications :) )

4. � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications

Accented Characters input using Touch keyboard, Microsoft Surface Book.

Hi Janet,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern and appreciate the time and effort that you have taken to research on the issue. We have looked into this for you, the character options when you press and hold a letter is available on the Touch Keyboard, you can enable
    the Touch Keyboard by turning the Tablet mode ‘ON’ on your Surface Book. To enable the tablet mode on your Surface, you can follow the steps below.

1. Enable Tablet mode by referring
      Turn tablet mode on or off
    2. Then click on keyboard icon at the right bottom corner of the taskbar.

� REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications 8bf03f29-f3b2-4dcd-99bd-9edc6c2a7d52?upload=true.png

3. Then try using foreign character and symbols.

You can refer the picture below for the character options that are available for letter ‘e’.

� REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications 9b5cc53e-bf09-4647-bd29-7b6dd8a2f170?upload=true.png

However, the On-screen keyboard will provide the options that are similar to a physical keyboard. For more information on the character options that are available, I would suggest you to refer to

Type Accented Characters
    and check if it helpful to you.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

� REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications

1. � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER when using Alt-??? for accented characters in Microsoft applications - Similar Threads - � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER

2. Accented characters keep "returning" :

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accented characters keep "returning" :: I own an INTEL NUCI laptop and I am too often having to use SHIFT ALT to turn off accented characters e.g. É é...there is no way I am inadvertently pressing SHIFT ALT to activate them. It's weird how this behaviour has only arisen in the past couple of months. What have I...
  3. Accented characters keep "returning" :

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accented characters keep "returning" :: I own an INTEL NUCI laptop and I am too often having to use SHIFT ALT to turn off accented characters e.g. É é...there is no way I am inadvertently pressing SHIFT ALT to activate them. It's weird how this behaviour has only arisen in the past couple of months. What have I...
  4. I get the Replacement character when I use an ALT-code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I get the Replacement character when I use an ALT-code: Hello, When I want to use an ALT code, for example, ALT+144 for É I got . Why it is not working? I am using my PC in French so I should be able to use this character with ALT code.How to fix this issue and make my ALT code work?Thanks in advance,Siméon...
  5. I get the Replacement character when I use an ALT-code

I get the Replacement character when I use an ALT-code: Hello, When I want to use an ALT code, for example, ALT+144 for É I got . Why it is not working? I am using my PC in French so I should be able to use this character with ALT code.How to fix this issue and make my ALT code work?Thanks in advance,Siméon...
  6. Accented characters window pops up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accented characters window pops up: Currently on windows 11 22H2. For some reason, when I press my spacebar twice a popup appears at the top of the screen with options for accented characters. This happened after updating to windows 11, and I cannot find a way to turn it off. It is extremely annoying as I...
  7. Accented characters window pops up

Accented characters window pops up: Currently on windows 11 22H2. For some reason, when I press my spacebar twice a popup appears at the top of the screen with options for accented characters. This happened after updating to windows 11, and I cannot find a way to turn it off. It is extremely annoying as I...
  8. Problem typing Vietnamese with accented characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem typing Vietnamese with accented characters: Hi, I recently installed windows 10 version 21H2 on an old Dell laptop and noticed the integrated Vietnamese Telex keyboard for Windows is not working as great as it used to on other PCs. Here's what my issue looks like when typing on a search bar: "hiệnchuaw có tínhnangw bật...
  9. Problem typing Vietnamese with accented characters

Problem typing Vietnamese with accented characters: Hi, I recently installed windows 10 version 21H2 on an old Dell laptop and noticed the integrated Vietnamese Telex keyboard for Windows is not working as great as it used to on other PCs. Here's what my issue looks like when typing on a search bar: "hiệnchuaw có tínhnangw bật...
  10. characters with accents don't display correctly.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    characters with accents don't display correctly.: I just bought a new laptop and moved everything from my old laptop to my new laptop. Seemed to have worked fine. Except for one program. MS money. Yes, I know. This is an old program which is not supported anymore. But I'm still using it for my personal accounting. I use...