Windows 10: replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs

Discus and support replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I'm not a professional IT guy, so i don't know how to solve this problem myself. I'm just Joe Enthusiast here. Here is the situation. System is Win 10... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by x509, Jul 30, 2019.

1. x509 Win User

replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs

I'm not a professional IT guy, so i don't know how to solve this problem myself. I'm just Joe Enthusiast here. Here is the situation. System is Win 10 64 Pro, currently at 1809, with patches applied. 16 GB of RAM, with SSD for C: and D: (data) partitions. Outlook is part of Office 2013 Pro 64. The scanpst repair utility seems unchanged for many releases of Office Pro. Thanks for reading.

I need help in replacing the utility which allowed me to batch-scan and repair 5 different Outlook PST files. The utility that I have been using no longer works properly for some of these files, and the author has not responded to my emails. I don't blame him. He last updated this utility in 2007. He sells commercial software, but this utility was a freebie. He has probably moved on. So I need a replacement, because Outlook needs constant repairs to its PST files.

Outlook seems notorious for creating corruption in its database, which is a PST file. Just running Outlook normally always creates errors, so it's necessary to run the scanpst repair utility frequently.

Now I happen to have 5 different PST files, to make backups more manageable because only 1 PST is backed up daily. The others are backed up weekly, on different days. With 5 different PST files,I need to do a minimum 20 scanpst runs, realistically 30 runs, to clean up the PST file errors every few days, or Outlook simply stops working.

If you want to run scanpst, you have to first start it up, then select the Outlook file to reapir. When you first run scanpst, it does a diagnostic test and reports back that it has found errors. But it doesn't automatically do the repair. Then you are prompted to do a repair. You have to click on the repair button. It is a manual process. The scan itself takes several minutes, even with an SSD.

replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs [​IMG]

After the repair is done, scanpst opens up another window, which requires a mouse-click.

So that's a bunch of mouse-clicks for one scanpst run. So if I want to do say 8 scans on all those 5 PST files, that is a very large number of mouse-clicks, and the total time for the scanpst runs can approach 30 minutes.

That batch-scan utility allowed me to run scanpst from a CMD command-line AND to input the names of multiple PST files. Each CMD line looks like this:

For 8 cycles on all five PST files, I wrote a simple batch file with that command line repeated 8 times. It worked great, until it didn't. So I need another way to automate this process. I don't know where or how to start. If it matters, I do know the old DOS commands well, because before Windows I used DOS, starting with DOS 2.1. But I don't know PowerShell.

I'm not exactly a Windows noob, quite the opposite, but I need help here.

:)

2. Try3 Win User

Lost Folder in Outlook 2010

I have never had such a problem so I probably cannot help you.

I assume that the list of datafiles is correct [In Outlook 2007 this is given in several places including File, Data file management] and that you have run ScanPST on each of the pst/ost files shown there.

Are there any references to the missing file in the ScanPST log [log settings are under Options in the ScanPST UI]?

In Outlook 2007, I can set the 'navigation pane' to 'Folder list' view so that I can manually look through every open file & folder to check their contents. If you can find it this way but not when searching then it would indicate a search problem rather than a pst file problem. I have not seen this but I'd run Office diagnostics [2007] & the Windows indexing troubleshooter if I did.
    - Apparently, Office diagnostics itself does not exist in Office 2010. I understand that, for Office 2010, you'd need to go to Control panel, Progs & features then right-click on the Office 2010 entry so you could select Repair.
    - I have also seen a suggestion that Office diagnostics might be in your Start menu but I don't know if that was correct or not.
    - The Windows indexing troubleshooter is at Settings, Updates, Troubleshoot, Search & indexing

Sorry I could not help,
    Best of luck,
    Denis

3. OscarM4 Win User
    Automate SCANPST.EXE

I would like to automate this tool in a file.
    The created script is like this.

@ECHO OFF ECHO

*****CLOSING OUTLOOK*****

taskkill /im OUTLOOK.exe /t

cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16"

SCANPST -file "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Google Apps Sync\*.pst"

ECHO *****File scanned!***** @pause

The problem that asks me to indicate a route, but I'm indicating it in the script.

Thanks!

OscarM4, Jul 30, 2019
  4. erocker Win User

erocker, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

1. replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs - Similar Threads - replacement utility automates

2. Preparing Automating Repair Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Preparing Automating Repair Loop: I need help!My Asus laptop has been stuck in the "Preparing Automatic Repair" loop for quite a long time, and I believe I've tried everything, but nothing seems to work.When I boot up my computer pressing the power button my computer shows me the Asus logo underneath reads...
  3. Preparing Automating Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preparing Automating Repair Loop: I need help!My Asus laptop has been stuck in the "Preparing Automatic Repair" loop for quite a long time, and I believe I've tried everything, but nothing seems to work.When I boot up my computer pressing the power button my computer shows me the Asus logo underneath reads...
  4. Preparing Automating Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Thunderbird as a replacement to Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird as a replacement to Outlook: Hello All, I have Office 2010 on our home PC. Yes, I know it is ancient but it works for my wife and I. I may upgrade to Office 2019 so I can get the latest Excel, Word and Powerpoint but I may use Thunderbird in place of Outlook. I am testing Thunderbird right now with a...
  6. Thunderbird as a replacement to Outlook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thunderbird as a replacement to Outlook: Hello All, I have Office 2010 on our home PC. Yes, I know it is ancient but it works for my wife and I. I may upgrade to Office 2019 so I can get the latest Excel, Word and Powerpoint but I may use Thunderbird in place of Outlook. I am testing Thunderbird right now with a...
  7. Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to automate find/replace in MS Word?: I know there is macros and other shortcuts, so I was wondering if there is a way to do something like this, or to its effect. I have a document "my_document_XXXX" and the phrase 'XXXX' appears in multiple places in the document. So I was wondering if there is a way where if...
  8. Can’t Automic Repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t Automic Repair: [IMG]Hi there My name is Johny Duo and yesterday when i startup my PC but i cant get in my PC, i stuck at bluescreen. After that i reset my PC then it said Repairing Auto Repair. After that screen my computer siad cant repair, i only know cant because i lost logfile:...
  9. replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs

in Windows 10 Support
    replacement for utility that automates Outlook scanpst repairs: I'm not a professional IT guy, so i don't know how to solve this problem myself. I'm just Joe Enthusiast here. Here is the situation. System is Win 10 64 Pro, currently at 1809, with patches applied. 16 GB of RAM, with SSD for C: and D: (data) partitions. Outlook is part of...
  10. run scanpst

in Windows 10 Support
    run scanpst: I have serious problems. 1. I can't get access to app data it is denied yet I am the only administrator on the computer. I keep getting access denied on quite a few things since upgrading from Win 7. 2. I have just been told to run inbox scanpst as my outlook has just...