Windows 10: Replacing a 2TB HDD with a 4TB Drive - Would that create Win 10 Activation Problems?

Discus and support Replacing a 2TB HDD with a 4TB Drive - Would that create Win 10 Activation Problems? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; CrystalDiskInfo is warning me that I should be thinking about replacing the 2Tb HDD in my Dell XPS 8900 with a new HDD. I am thinking about replacing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DavidLuery, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Replacing a 2TB HDD with a 4TB Drive - Would that create Win 10 Activation Problems?

CrystalDiskInfo is warning me that I should be thinking about replacing the 2Tb HDD in my Dell XPS 8900 with a new HDD. I am thinking about replacing it with a 4Tb drive. But I am concerned that Win 10 might interpret this as a configuration change of my PC which could cause problems with Windows activation.

I should also note that a couple of years ago I installed a new 500Gb SSD boot drive C: and repurposed the existing 256Gb SSD as a scratch disk for Photoshop, etc. it is now the B: drive.

My question is whether, taken together, all these changes would create problems with activation? In which case I would replace the old 2Tb drive with a new 2Tb drive and presumably not run into any problems.

Thanks,

David

:)

DavidLuery, Nov 15, 2020

2. Windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd on GPT partition with UEFI mode system.

Original Title: windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd

Hello,

I have a new Seagate 4tb hdd and gigabyte H110M motherboard (UEFI) in a desktop computer. When I install windows 10 x64 it only shows up as 2tb. I have converted the hdd to gpt partitioning (as apparently this is what I need to do to show whole hdd) but
    when I install win 10 it converts it back to mbr and still only shows it as 2tb. What do I need to do so windows installs in gpt format?

Thanks

Troy

TroySullivan, Nov 15, 2020
  3. Saidrex Win User
    Problems with 4TB HDD

I tried that, it allows to use only 2TB of drive. Other space remains unallocated and it doesn't allow to create another partition.

Saidrex, Nov 15, 2020
  4. natr0n Win User

Replacing a 2TB HDD with a 4TB Drive - Would that create Win 10 Activation Problems?

Problems with 4TB HDD

Only if booting from it otherwise you can use mbr on a 4tb for storage.

natr0n, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Replacing a 2TB HDD with a 4TB Drive - Would that create Win 10 Activation Problems?

1. Replacing a 2TB HDD with a 4TB Drive - Would that create Win 10 Activation Problems? - Similar Threads - Replacing 2TB HDD

2. If I have a 2TB D: secondary drive in in Win 11, can I replace it with a 4TB, or larger?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I have a 2TB D: secondary drive in in Win 11, can I replace it with a 4TB, or larger?: Currently I have a 2TB C: drive, and a 2TB D: secondary drive, both SSD devices.Can anyone tell me how much larger a drive I can add as a D: drive?4TB, 6TB, 8TB?I'd be happy with 4TB, but can it be done?Thanks in advance....
  3. If I have a 2TB D: secondary drive in in Win 11, can I replace it with a 4TB, or larger?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I have a 2TB D: secondary drive in in Win 11, can I replace it with a 4TB, or larger?: Currently I have a 2TB C: drive, and a 2TB D: secondary drive, both SSD devices.Can anyone tell me how much larger a drive I can add as a D: drive?4TB, 6TB, 8TB?I'd be happy with 4TB, but can it be done?Thanks in advance....
  4. Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive: Hi!Somewhat recently i aquired a 4tb HDD and allocated half of it just fine but noticed that the other half wasn't included in the volume and when i tried to allocate it all the options were grey. I don't know what to do so please if any of you have had the issue before and...
  5. Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive: Hi!Somewhat recently i aquired a 4tb HDD and allocated half of it just fine but noticed that the other half wasn't included in the volume and when i tried to allocate it all the options were grey. I don't know what to do so please if any of you have had the issue before and...
  6. Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.: I recently replaced a failed HDD and bad ram in a refurbished laptop.After re-installing windows it refused to activate.It is a multi-user machine that was never, to my knowledge, registered to a Microsoft Account.I do not have a copy of the windows key.I DO have the CoA...
  7. Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.: I recently replaced a failed HDD and bad ram in a refurbished laptop.After re-installing windows it refused to activate.It is a multi-user machine that was never, to my knowledge, registered to a Microsoft Account.I do not have a copy of the windows key.I DO have the CoA...
  8. Win 10 Activation after HDD replacement.

9. 4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985) Version: 10.0.19042 I have 2 Seagate Barracuda drives that only show as 2tb. They are gpt. This is since using them in raid in nas. tried everything in this thread Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT...
  10. 4tb hard drive only allows me to use 2tb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    4tb hard drive only allows me to use 2tb: I got a 4tb Hdd and I think it said that a certain amount is for the system or something and I couldn’t use all 4tb, I could only use 2tb. Sorry I can’t provide more info but does anyone know why this might’ve happened or if this is normal. Is there anything wrong with...