Windows 10: Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation

Discus and support Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I've had a problem with random blue screens and narrowed it down to the SSD as it has many bad blocks. Kingston approved of an RMA so I'm going to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bytes64, Jan 10, 2016.

1. bytes64 Win User

Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation

So I've had a problem with random blue screens and narrowed it down to the SSD as it has many bad blocks. Kingston approved of an RMA so I'm going to do that. How does Windows 10 activation work if I replaced the drive and have to either reinstall windows or port a backup on to it? I initially had Windows 7 and upgrade to 10. I have a UEFI motherboard too as well. Thanks for any help.

:)

bytes64, Jan 10, 2016

2. Resetting Windows 10

It is a digital activation. If it is activated now, it will remain activated even if you were to remove the hard drive, replace it with an SSD and download the WIndows 10 ISO image, make bootable media and install Windows 10 from scratch on the new SSD.

Shenan Stanley, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Hard Drive Errors - Need to Do a System Restore/Reset - Or New HD?

I didn't understand the situation was that bad. So the decision to replace the HD has been pretty much made for you.

Yes, MS has setup windows 10 so that when you activate it the first time, MS keeps a "signature" of your computer on their systems. When you re-install Windows 10, MS is able to recognize your computer and automate the activation. It allows for changes like
    new HD/SSD, more RAM etc. The one thing that is not allowed is replacing the motherboard.

Rohn007, Jan 10, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Activation is no problem either way if you replace the SSD. However, it'll be good if you start it with fresh install to eliminate all the remnants from Windows 7.

topgundcp, Jan 10, 2016
  5. bytes64 Win User
    I believe I did a clean install when I upgrade to 10. So would I install using a Windows 10 installer or would I do a Windows 7 installer? I'm assuming the UEFI board stores the keys?

bytes64, Jan 10, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You would install using the Windows 10 installer. The digital entitlement which will be retrieved to activate the clean install of Windows 10 is stored on Microsoft activation servers and will be retrieved when you connect to the internet. Skip entering the product key when asked - just make sure to install the same version of Windows 10 that you had on the computer before.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation - Similar Threads - Replacing bad SSD

2. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  3. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  4. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Replace SSD with Windows 10 on it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace SSD with Windows 10 on it.: I have a w 10 Pro Asus PC, with the following: SSD 128 GB with the OS of W10 Pro on it, Intel 7700 Processor, 1GB Hd being used for data, and other things which are not so important for what I like to ask for here. I am considering to replace the 128GB SSD with a 500GB or...
  6. After SSD replacement, the system is not activated

After SSD replacement, the system is not activated: My old PC broke down and I took the SSD drive and put it into another PC which I am using now. I have a problem with the latter PC. It requires that I activate the system though it was activated before the replacement. How can I activate the system?...
  7. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...
  8. Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement

Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement: Hello, I purchased a copy of windows 10 in 2016. Now that I upgraded my ssd, the key is not being recognized. I already tried login with microsoft account and I can't see troubleshooting button on the activation page. Please help Gabe...
  9. Replaced SSD and Now Windows 10 is no longer activated.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replaced SSD and Now Windows 10 is no longer activated.: My PC was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 with free upgrade in late 2015. Today I replaced a 250 GB SSD with a 500 GB SSD by cloning and now Windows is no longer activated. I have the original Product Key from Windows 7. I get this error when I try to activate...
  10. Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD

Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD: Hi, My computer's SSD failed, and I just bought a SSD and installed Windows 10 on it. However, it is not activated. I originally had Windows 7, then installed Windows 8 Pro, then upgraded to Windows 10. This is all legal. However, I ran a BIOS product key checker on...