Windows 10: Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

Discus and support Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stonecherub, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I am older now than I was when I started this thread. I AM getting slower. My MSI B360m Mortar MoBo has provision for two M.2 cards. I am proposing to install the second M.2 card in the empty slot and use Macrium to copy the contents. I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I think I need to re-letter the new card to C:\ and the old card to something else but I'm not sure how to do this. Suggestions would be appreciated. With any kind of luck, you too will get old.

:)

stonecherub, Jun 23, 2021
  2. mcjclc Win User

M.2 SSD card

How do I get my Gemini laptop to recognize the M.2 SSD card

mcjclc, Jun 23, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    No Boot, Drives Not detected, Can't Load Win10 Pleses Help!

Until the BIOS sees your M.2, there's nothing you can do. It does not matter if the M.2 is unformatted/unallocated, the BIOS should see it.
    1. Suggest that you take the M.2 out, clean all the contacts and re-seat it and hope this is the case.
    2. If step one fails. Connect your 250GB SSD back in using one of the SATA port to see if the BIOS recognize it. If it doen't, then it might be something wrong with the MB, if it does then boot up the Windows Installation USB, run diskpart, shrink it at least 40GB then create a partition, Leave it unallocated then install Windows there.

Also try to re-seat all other components such as Memory, Video card etc...

topgundcp, Jun 23, 2021
  4. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

How to properly swap out an M.2 SSD for a larger size replacement

I have an ASRock X399 Taichi, 128GB ram running Windows 10 Professional. This motherboard has 3 M.2 slots. I currently have a 960GB in M.2 slot 1 and it is my O/S drive. I another 960 GB in slot 2. It is my intention to replace the slot 1 M.2 with a 2TB
    M.2. I then want to move the current 960 GB in slot 1 to slot 3. I want to make a fresh windows install on the 2TB and format the 960GB.

Will there be any issues with this? Previously I had a 480GB M.2 SSD in slot 2. I formatted it and removed it and replaced it with a 960GB but when I did this Windows could not find the boot drive (slot 1).

I don't mind doing a fresh install at all if that is the only solution.

robert3892, Jun 23, 2021
Thema:

Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

1. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card - Similar Threads - Replacing SSD boot

2. Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2: I bought a new to me desktop PC. I replaced the HDD it had with my old computer's SSD, which has my expected windows 10 image.The PC was wiped clean before I bought it and I guess is booting to a Windows 11 M.2.I went to startup options and don't see my SSD as an option to...
  3. Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2: I bought a new to me desktop PC. I replaced the HDD it had with my old computer's SSD, which has my expected windows 10 image.The PC was wiped clean before I bought it and I guess is booting to a Windows 11 M.2.I went to startup options and don't see my SSD as an option to...
  4. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card: Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I...
  5. M.2 SSD Card Data Recovery

M.2 SSD Card Data Recovery: Hi everyone on the forum, My question is how to check if there is data on an M.2 SATA SSD and how to restore the data if there is? A bit of background: my old laptop went in for repairs and could not be repaired. They apparently did not wipe the data and sent me back the...
  6. Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10?: I have Windows 10 installed in an M.2 boot drive that I installed several years ago. l'm experiencing freezes/crashes so am looking at doing a fresh install of Windows OR going back to the SSD I had before I installed the M.2 and started having problems, but I'm not sure...
  7. ?M.2 or ssd

?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  8. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  9. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  10. M.2 ssd

M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...