Windows 10: Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

Discus and support Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JoonatanVahar, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a hard drive are in working condition, so I wish to only replace the motherboard. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD. My question is, if I put that SSD into a new motherboard, will I still be able to keep all of my files, apps and Windows 10 or is it better to copy what I can and wipe everything clean and buy Windows again? Which drivers should I delete if needed? I can't boot up windows but I can run the troubleshooting option and access file

:)

JoonatanVahar, Nov 22, 2021

2. Password incorrect after replacing motherboard.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

There is some confusion about hardware changes on a Computer that will impact their free upgrade activation status. To clarify, the ONLY hardware changes that can negatively impact a customer’s activation status once they have upgrade are changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    If you replaces the Motherboard they may have to re activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

You can try to perform a clean install.

I would suggest you to create a ISO file from the below Microsoft Help Article and try to reinstall Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 22, 2021
  3. Queries about replacing the motherboard of Windows 10 and reinstalling Windows 10 on the computer.

Hi Thomas,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• What is the build number of Windows 10?
    • When you say that "able to replace the motherboard and re link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on new device?", are you having OEM Windows 10 product key or retail product key?
    Please get back to us with an update on issue with replacing motherboard on Windows 10 and reactivating it, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 22, 2021
  4. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

REplacing motherboard with refurbished motherboard

Hi Keith,

to keep license you need to replace motherboard by warranty. Sorry that are the license terms. If this will be warranty replacement please remember technician to do steps necessary for license keeping.

Igor Leyko, Nov 22, 2021
Thema:

Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

1. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Replacing motherboard without

2. motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    motherboard replacement: I got a motherboard replace and the technician install Windows on it. When I got home I found out that my Windows is not activated at all. I run the troubleshooter and it didn't resolve my issue. I have Windows 10 before and it came from the free upgrade when its free.How can...
  3. motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    motherboard replacement: I got a motherboard replace and the technician install Windows on it. When I got home I found out that my Windows is not activated at all. I run the troubleshooter and it didn't resolve my issue. I have Windows 10 before and it came from the free upgrade when its free.How can...
  4. Motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard replacement: Hi, Is it possible to replace the motherboard in my Dell Inspiron 3847 to allow for a TPM chip? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-replacement/e8383a01-cb84-4ddc-9232-d55c2b894c6b
  5. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10: Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a hard drive are in working condition, so I wish to only replace the motherboard. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD. My...
  6. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10: Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a hard drive are in working condition, so I wish to only replace the motherboard. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD. My...
  7. How to change my motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change my motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10.: I'm downsizing from an ATX to a mini ITX. Almost all of the components in my ATX build are going to be reused, except for the motherboard (had to get a smaller one). I originally assumed I could just transfer my C: drive over to the new motherboard and it would boot up as if...
  8. How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10?: I would like to upgrade the motherboard and CPU of my computer, which runs Windows 10. However, I would prefer to avoid reinstalling the operating system. The OS is installed to an M.2 NVMe drive on an AM3+ socket motherboard, and I will be upgrading to an AM4 socket...
  9. Replaced Dead Motherboard now Windows 10 won't reinstall.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replaced Dead Motherboard now Windows 10 won't reinstall.: I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 that I bought about 4 years ago, when I bought the computer it came with Windows 8 preinstalled, and I did the free Window's 10 upgrade when it was offered. My motherboard recently died and I just replaced it with a new one. The new motherboard is...
  10. replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    replacing motherboard: Guys, I'm planning to change my motherboard soon (defective ports and still USB 2.0) to a more recent motherboard. Coming from windows 7, I understand that replacing the parts would require a reinstall of the OS but maybe it will be a different case for win10. Just wishful...