Windows 10: Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?

Discus and support Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! I have my old laptop Lenovo Y50 non touch since 2015. In the last few years it has really become very slow, especially at the start. At... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RacheDB, Aug 14, 2020.

1. RacheDB Win User

Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?

Hello!

I have my old laptop Lenovo Y50 non touch since 2015.

In the last few years it has really become very slow, especially at the start. At startup it also likes to switch from the lock screen to the password prompt until you can finally write something in.

It's not a big problem, but I'd like to know why. Which is not so good, that it takes minutes before you can use everything normally.

My solution is to replace the 1TB HDD with a (Samsung) 1TB SSD. I have a lot of videos and old documents that I don't necessarily want to sort out or delete. So I want to use the old hard disk as an external hard disk (e.g. with an Icy Box). I also thought to clone the harddisk, but my current one has certain partitions and the operating system installed. Is that even logical to clone?

But, is it possible to do all this? Then how can I keep Windows on the new SSD and not on the old one, since I don't use it as my main hard drive anymore?

:)

RacheDB, Aug 14, 2020
  2. gordon99 Win User

Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an external hard drive I use for backups and a free version of the Macrium Reflect program on the hard drive. The SSD is brand new. I have just 50 GB in total on the 231 GB hard drive. The SSD has 250 GB capacity.

gordon99, Aug 14, 2020
  3. Laptop hard drive upgrade

To replace a hard drive on a laptop is a little more troublesome than a desktop. 1st as most people here suggest you will need some sort of a backup disk just in case. Also be sure when buying the new Hard Disk is compatible with your model. And i would strongly suggest you install a new system and start from scratch because there are far too many problems that can occur when transferring system files.

scoutingwraith, Aug 14, 2020
  4. Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?

Computer Running Slow After Hard Drive Replacement

I recently replaced my hard drive from an old laptop I had that I overloaded the hard drive on, and I replaced it

and now the computer runs very slow, but it works. what do I do?

Aiden Arch, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?

1. Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop? - Similar Threads - Replacing hard drive

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. Laptop super slow after replacing dead hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop super slow after replacing dead hard drive: So recently i replaced my hard drive after being dead for a year or so i own a acer aspire 3 that used to run decently fast what could be the problem i reinstalled windows 10 and did other stuff but with no success if i can get some answers and what i need to buy thanks...
  5. Getting new hard drive replaced.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting new hard drive replaced.: Something bad happened to my laptop, and I took it to a local engineer, he told me that hard drive needs to be replaced with a new one. My laptop had windows 8 pre installed when I bought it, and I had upgraded it to windows 10 using the official way, thus it had activated...
  6. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  7. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  8. Computer Running Slow After Hard Drive Replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Running Slow After Hard Drive Replacement: I recently replaced my hard drive from an old laptop I had that I overloaded the hard drive on, and I replaced it and now the computer runs very slow, but it works. what do I do?...
  9. replacing hard drive in laptop and transfer all information to new drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replacing hard drive in laptop and transfer all information to new drive: I bought a new hard drive for my laptop. How do I transfer everything to my new drive? When I open windows easy transfer it does not give me the option to give transfer to USB/CD. I have a USB (128gb). I am completely lost in this process?????...
  10. replace dead hard drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    replace dead hard drive for laptop: Here is the situation My wife has a Toshiba laptop that crashed, the hard drive is done. I have done everything that I have been able to looking at tutorials etc to revive it, its dead jim. I even tried to wipe the hard drive and it would have none of it. My Toshiba laptop...