Windows 10: Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD

Discus and support Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello All I'm new here, and hope I don't embarrass myself asking this question... I live in the United Kingdom. I have an HP G6-2244sa laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Sav10, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Sav10 Win User

Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD

Hello All

I'm new here, and hope I don't embarrass myself asking this question...

I live in the United Kingdom.

I have an HP G6-2244sa laptop with an AMD E2-1800 processor 1.7GHz with 8GB RAM.

The laptop originally ran Windows 8 but was updated to Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

My girlfriend uses the laptop for email, Internet browsing, Spotify and occasionally using Word and Excel.

The laptop has a 1TB hard drive with two partitions.

Partition 1 - C: drive is 976 GB of which only 170GB is being used

Partition 2 - D: drive is 20GB of which 17.3GB is being used... This has the Recovery files.

When I look in Settings > Update & Security > Activation... It states... Windows is activated with a digital licence

The laptop has been running very slow... Start up is slow, and there is a long delay between clicking on a file/application, and it opening.

I've already uninstalled any applications that were not being used, like video editing applications, 3D imaging application... Run Disk Clean-Up and also ran ASCOMP Cleaning Suite 4

I have looked into replacing the current HDD hard drive with and SSD drive, as this seems to give a new lease of life to PCs. So have decided to install a 500GB SSD.

I was going to clone the current disk, to the SSD as this could be potentially easier.

However, I am now thinking of doing a clean install of Windows 10 on to the SSD. The reason for doing a clean install of Windows 10 is because I'd rather start with the clean slate, and not potentially "bring over" any issues from the current drive when I clone it.

As the laptop originally came with Windows 8 and was updated to Windows 10, I'm unsure what licence key I have. There is a Windows label on the underside of the laptop but no licence key... I can't find the original paperwork that came with the laptop when it was bought.

I have used PowerShell to look at the 25-digit licence key, and it displayed one.

I then used Command Prompt to confirm the same 25-digit licence key... But I'm unsure if it's a Windows 8 licence key or a Windows 10 licence key. Or is it a digital licence?

If I install a new SSD drive into the laptop, can I do a clean install of Windows 10 on it?

Can I use the 25-digit that I looked up if applicable?

Or do I rely on the digital licence when I do the Windows 10 install? If this is the case, how do I know what the digital licence is?

Apologies that this a long message. But I thought I better try and give you as much information as possible.

Any help you can provide me, will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Sav10, Jul 23, 2020
  2. Sav10 Win User

Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD

Hello All

I'm new here, and hope I don't embarrass myself asking this question...

I live in the United Kingdom.

I have an HP G6-2244sa laptop with an AMD E2-1800
    processor (1.7GHz) with 8GB RAM.

The laptop originally ran Windows 8 but was updated to
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

My girlfriend uses the laptop for email, Internet browsing, Spotify and occasionally using Word and Excel.

The laptop has a 1TB hard drive with two partitions.

Partition 1 - C: drive is 976 GB of which only 170GB is being used

Partition 2 - D: drive is 20GB of which 17.3GB is being used... This has the Recovery files.

When I look in Settings > Update & Security > Activation... It states... Windows is activated with a digital licence

The laptop has been running very slow... Start up is slow, and there is a long delay between clicking on a file/application, and it opening.

I've already uninstalled any applications that were not being used, like video editing applications, 3D imaging application... Run Disk Clean-Up and also ran ASCOMP Cleaning Suite 4

I have looked into replacing the current HDD hard drive with and SSD drive, as this seems to give a new lease of life to PCs. So have decided to install a 500GB SSD.

I was going to clone the current disk, to the SSD as this could be potentially easier.

However, I am now thinking of doing a clean install of Windows 10 on to the SSD. The reason for doing a clean install of Windows 10 is because I'd rather start with the clean slate, and not potentially "bring over" any issues from the current drive when
    I clone it.

As the laptop originally came with Windows 8 and was updated to Windows 10, I'm unsure what licence key I have. There is a Windows label on the underside of the laptop but no licence key... I can't find the original paperwork that came with the laptop when
    it was bought.

I have used PowerShell to look at the 25-digit licence key, and it displayed one.

I then used Command Prompt to confirm the same 25-digit licence key... But I'm unsure if it's a Windows 8 licence key or a Windows 10 licence key. Or is it a digital licence?

If I install a new SSD drive into the laptop, can I do a clean install of Windows 10 on it?

Can I use the 25-digit that I looked up (if applicable)?

Or do I rely on the digital licence when I do the Windows 10 install? If this is the case, how do I know what the digital licence is?

Apologies that this a long message. But I thought I better try and give you as much information as possible.

Any help you can provide me, will be greatly appreciated.

Sav10, Jul 30, 2020
  3. rs1946 Win User
    Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD

Hi! I have an HP Envy x360 m6-aq105dx convertible laptop that I bought from Best Buy. I'd like to replace the slow hard disk with an SSD, but I don't have the Windows 10 Product key to create an installable USB flash drive. It looks like there may be some
    non-trivial ways to recover a product ID from the BIOS, but I was wondering if it would be easier to create a Recovery disk on a USB flash drive and install from it after I replace the hard disk with the SSD. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

rs1946, Jul 30, 2020
  4. gordon99 Win User

Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an external hard drive I use for backups and a free version of the Macrium Reflect program on the hard drive. The SSD is brand new. I have just 50 GB in total on the 231 GB hard drive. The SSD has 250 GB capacity.

gordon99, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD - Similar Threads - Replacing hard drive

2. replacement SSD drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    replacement SSD drive for laptop: My laptop cannot see my SSD drive so I assume it has failed, I am having trouble finding a replacement.The SSD drive installed in my laptop is an SK Hynix, I am attaching a photo of it.The is the only similar drive I have found and do not know if if it is...
  3. Installing replacement SSD on laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing replacement SSD on laptop: I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running the latest Windows 10 Home. Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1198) The laptop is a Toshiba satellite S855 Intel cpu i7-3610QM, 8GB installed ram Its old hdd is extremely slow so I want to replace it with a 1 TB ssd. The SSD is a Samsung...
  4. what problems would encounter by replacing a standard hard drive with SSD. Current drive is...

what problems would encounter by replacing a standard hard drive with SSD. Current drive is...: What problems would encounter by upgrading 2TB standard HD to a 1TB SSD? Currently OS C: drive is using 65.3 GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-problems-would-encounter-by-replacing-a/a8eb026e-a2ab-41e2-a7f1-b7aa60dca91a
  5. Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement: Before physically removing the hard drive from my laptop, I cloned it to a new SSD drive using Macrium Reflect and installed the SSD drive in the laptop. When I check my drives using Disk Management or AOMEI Partition Assistant, Disk 0 using Disk Management or Disk 1 using...
  6. New Computer with SSD - would like to clone this drive

New Computer with SSD - would like to clone this drive: Hi folks. My wife is getting a new Windows 10 laptop tomorrow with a 256Gb SSD. One of the first things I'm going to check is the version number of Windows 10 that is installed. If it isn't 1909, can I do a manual update to 1909 (and if so, how)? I'd like to clone this onto...
  7. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  8. Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?: I have a laptop (HP notebook 8 gig ram) running Windows 10 as a slow ring insider. I want to remove the hard drive which is as slow as treacle and replace it with an SSD. This requires that I do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD ..... My question is this: I have a USB...
  9. Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a...

Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a...: I have cloned the 2014 hdd from an ASUS laptop to the ssd using free aomei cloning software. I then installed the ssd into a 2017 Lenovo laptop. Windows will not run and I receive a blue recovery screen with error message "Error code: 0xc000000e". This hard drive is dual...
  10. replace hard drive with SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replace hard drive with SSD: I have a laptop with a 1 TB hard drive. I am only using about 300 GB. Can I replace my 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD? 95323