Windows 10: Replacing hard drive on PC due to bad sector & worried about license / activation for my...

Discus and support Replacing hard drive on PC due to bad sector & worried about license / activation for my... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; my Hdd is having bad sector i want to replace hdd with other. i am not having windows 10 cd only Licence key for single machine. after installation &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MUKESH551, Aug 6, 2020.

1. MUKESH551 Win User

Replacing hard drive on PC due to bad sector & worried about license / activation for my...

my Hdd is having bad sector i want to replace hdd with other.

i am not having windows 10 cd only Licence key for single machine.

after installation & entering licence key i get my original windows or not ?

my device specification is below..

Replacing hard drive on PC due to bad sector & worried about license / activation for my... f8a09ae7-d07a-491b-bff3-93031e53a952?upload=true.jpg

:)

MUKESH551, Aug 6, 2020

2. Replacing hard drive on PC & worried about license / activation for my Win 10 operating system.

My hard drive has been giving problems but is still usable and fully accessible. (some bad sectors make it freeze every few days).

Before it fails, I would like to ensure that when I replace the SATA hard drive, that I do not have to pay for another Windows 10 license and am wondering what procedure I need to follow as I know I'll be asked to activate it?

Also, I don't even have a Windows install disc as I bought this PC with a licensed Windows 8 copy already installed. Is there a particular disc or version I should buy?

I'd really appreciate some help please.

Stephencor, Aug 6, 2020
  3. S-and-S Win User
    Bad sectors

There are two types of 'bad sector:'

A physical bad sector is bad because of some physical defect. It's not uncommon for a hard drive to have a few of these. Windows simply marks them as 'bad' so they won't be used for storage. You only need to worry if bad sectors begin to proliferate.

A logical bad sector is bad because of a software problem, e.g., Windows can't find it or its description has contradictory information. Running CHKDSK will usually fix that, but again, it's not uncommon and only a problem if Windows
    tells you it's a problem.

All modern hard drives ship with a utility called S.M.A.R.T. whose purpose is to monitor the drive for problems and notify the user before problems become serious. If you're not getting a notification from S.M.A.R.T. and you're not receiving error messages
    from Windows, you've got nothing to worry about.

If you still think there's a problem, then run the hard drive manufacturer's own drive diagnostic utility. You can download it from the manufacturer's website, and the manufacturer will show you how to interpret the results.

If you're determined to replace your hard drive, then I guess you'll do it anyway. But why go to the trouble if you don't really need to?

S-and-S, Aug 6, 2020
  4. cmarti02 Win User

Replacing hard drive on PC due to bad sector & worried about license / activation for my...

Will Resetting Windows Avoid Bad Sectors on Hard Drive

I have an Acer laptop that has started acting weird (stops responding for a minute, then catching up, working fine for 3-4 minutes, then stopping again). I did a surface test and found 11 bad sectors on the hard drive. I have run multiple 'sfc /scannow'
    and 'chkdsk c: /r'. The bad sectors are are still there. I have tried to Clone the disk, but errors are preventing it from finishing. I have data backups.

I'm thinking my only option is to Reset the PC, keeping data files and options. Then cloning the drive to a new drive and replacing it.

My question is, when I Reset the PC, will it avoid the bad sectors?

That way I could then Clone the drive and replace it.

Thanks, Curtis

cmarti02, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Replacing hard drive on PC due to bad sector & worried about license / activation for my... - Similar Threads - Replacing hard drive

2. How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??: Lenovo scanned my system and it said that my hard drive failed the Targeted Read test, tried fixing it but it couldn't and it's 8 bad sectors. I've ran sfcscannow, chkdsk, DISM and nothing seems to be able to fix this. Do I need a new hard drive? this one is only about three...
  3. How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??: Lenovo scanned my system and it said that my hard drive failed the Targeted Read test, tried fixing it but it couldn't and it's 8 bad sectors. I've ran sfcscannow, chkdsk, DISM and nothing seems to be able to fix this. Do I need a new hard drive? this one is only about three...
  4. How do I fix bad sectors on my hard drive??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard drive, bad sectors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive, bad sectors: I have a HDD that has bad sectors. I plan to buy SSD to replace it. But can I still use that HDD to install games? I only plan to put the operating system in the SSD, or do you have any tips that will help to fix those bad sectors aside form chkdsk /f /r /x C: also, here is...
  6. HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...: So I have a problem with my HDD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB st2000dm008 7200 RPM) that I bought in May 2020, I've been using it since then, and when I checked it's health in HD sentinel and other programs it showed %4 health like on this screen: [ATTACH] I currently have no...
  7. Replacing hard drive, what about license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing hard drive, what about license?: I want to replace the hard drive. My question: how can I keep my license? I purchased this laptop with a pre-installed license. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replacing-hard-drive-what-about-license/24aa3bf8-7f46-4fcc-b1bd-e8bbe979710c
  8. Bitlocker stuck due to bad sector

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker stuck due to bad sector: Bitlocker stuck at 70% due to bad sector. I am unable to backup any files from the drive as it is also stuck at 100% usage. The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block. submitted by /u/waloshin [link] [comments]...
  9. Will Resetting Windows Avoid Bad Sectors on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will Resetting Windows Avoid Bad Sectors on Hard Drive: I have an Acer laptop that has started acting weird (stops responding for a minute, then catching up, working fine for 3-4 minutes, then stopping again). I did a surface test and found 11 bad sectors on the hard drive. I have run multiple 'sfc /scannow' and 'chkdsk c: /r'....
  10. External Hard Driver Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Driver Bad Sectors: Hi I have a 2T Silicon Power A85 Hard drive. after 2 years my hard is not running well. the hard runs very slowly and stops every time. sometimes copy the information in 120 MB/s and sometimes in just few Kb. Hard disk Sentinel App shows a lot of bad sectors and just 4%...