Windows 10: Replacing HDD -Retaining licenced existing operating system.

Discus and support Replacing HDD -Retaining licenced existing operating system. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Community I have an aged acerExtensa 5220 which i upgrade as extra cash becomes available.Have updated my Ram and now have a new HDD 500gig which i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gecko90, Sep 23, 2019.

1. gecko90 Win User

Replacing HDD -Retaining licenced existing operating system.

Hi Community

I have an aged acerExtensa 5220 which i upgrade as extra cash becomes available.Have updated my Ram and now have a new HDD 500gig which i would like to install replacing current75 gig one.Question is how do i transfer my existing licenced version of win 10 ultimate and associated files etc. Not sure how to get my pc to recognise the drive or for windows to recognise new drive on current pc and not treat as a new device.Am a bit limited in my pc knowledge so would really appreciate any advice please.

:)

gecko90, Sep 23, 2019

2. need list of usb bootable Operating Systems

I am looking for a good list of operating systems you can run from a usb or dvd.

If not a list, then folks can just post their top picks.

I want these to run from the usb/dvd without installing on the system or getting in the way of the system that exists on the hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

John Phoenix, Sep 23, 2019
  3. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Sep 23, 2019
  4. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Replacing HDD -Retaining licenced existing operating system. - Similar Threads - Replacing HDD Retaining

2. Will replacing operating system remove old access?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will replacing operating system remove old access?: I purchased an old company laptop and wiped it completely. The company sends mass updates to all their computers and redownloads all the software remotely. Would installing a new system stop the remote access?...
  3. Will replacing operating system remove old access?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will replacing operating system remove old access?: I purchased an old company laptop and wiped it completely. The company sends mass updates to all their computers and redownloads all the software remotely. Would installing a new system stop the remote access?...
  4. Will replacing operating system remove old access?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Retaining Win 10 Licence across a format.

Retaining Win 10 Licence across a format.: Hi,My daughters laptop disk has crashed and is now seen as a "Raw" disk.I have removed it and connected it my laptop and managed to copy off most data.As I understand it, the only way to fix this issue is with a reformat. However after that, I don't have any installation...
  6. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  7. Replacing HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD: I have a HP s5-1114 with Windows 10 Home that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 via the free upgrade. It is attached to my account. My HDD has died and I've ordered a new one. How do I get my SW key to reinstall the OS? I recall seeing it was digitally saved to my account, but...
  8. Replacing HDD

9. Replacing operating system

Replacing operating system: My desktop crashed yesterday now it wants a source to repair my operating system Windows 10 and I can't get it to see any source at all. I do not have a CD or recovery tool but I have no less than three licences. What do I do?...
  10. If I replace HDD will I lose the licence?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If I replace HDD will I lose the licence?: My laptop came with Windows 8. After some time I upgraded to 8.1 (and I know the activation key it was using) and then to Windows 10, which I am currently using. This week I will be replacing HDD with SSD and installing Windows 8.1. Will I be able to activate it with the key...