Windows 10: Replacing HDD with a SSD

Discus and support Replacing HDD with a SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I am planning to update my Dell inspiron 15 5570 with a SSD According to the laptop's spec sheet it supports M.2 NVMe SSD up to 512 GB Below is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/darksider66666, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Replacing HDD with a SSD

Hi,

I am planning to update my Dell inspiron 15 5570 with a SSD

According to the laptop's spec sheet it supports M.2 NVMe SSD up to 512 GB

Below is the one I think should be fine for the task: Amazon link

What are the things I should take into consideration while migrating Windows 10 to the SSD?

Also, if I select the SSD as my boot drive, will it become my "C" drive by default?

submitted by /u/darksider66666
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/darksider66666, Jan 10, 2020

2. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Hey,

I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd.

The laptop does not have an additional hdd option.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nikaash

NikaashSenpai, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Replacing HDD with a SSD

SSD disappeared and laptop acting weird after HDD replacement?

Hi!

Long story short (can give more details if it helps), started hearing sounds from laptop and correctly guessed hard disk was in danger of failing. Got it to the repair people before it failed, who copied my data to an external, then replaced my 1TB HDD with
    a 500GB HDD.

I've got a few more issues, but the simplest to answer would be... is it normal that I'm not seeing the second drive (D:/) that I used to have? Replacing the HDD and therefore reinstalling windows 10 shouldn't have messed with the SSD, right? And I'm guessing
    unless they physically took it out of the laptop (doubtful), it should still be there. However, laptop can't see it in Disk Management. Currently there's:

1. C: - about 465GB
    2. Disk 0 partition 3 - 100MB
    3. System reserved - 549MB

The original specifications say "128GB PCIe SSD" - where did it go?!

Thanks Replacing HDD with a SSD :(

WannabeTechie2, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Replacing HDD with a SSD

1. Replacing HDD with a SSD - Similar Threads - Replacing HDD SSD

2. Replacing HDD wit SSD and drivers.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing HDD wit SSD and drivers.: I am trying to replace an HDD drive with an SSD drive. I have replaced the drives, I used the media creation tool to create a bootable flash drive and then installed Windows 10 on the machine. It has gotten to the point where it says: "A media driver your computer needs is...
  3. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  4. Replacing HDD with SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD with SSD: I'm planning on replacing my original HDD with an SSD using a clean install. Can I ask Microsoft for a copy of the original disk image of my system? I have a Pavilion g4-2013tx that came originally with a Windows 7. TIA....
  5. HDD replacement with SSD

HDD replacement with SSD: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 320 with pre-installed Windows 10 Home Single Language. I want to replace my current HDD with a SSD. I do not have any license/activation key for the operating system. How do I proceed?...
  6. Replacing HDD with an SSD

Replacing HDD with an SSD: I plan to replace my HDD with an SSD because I want my laptop to run faster and it failed a diagnostics test. I don't know why it failed but, I don't want to corrupt my new SSD. What happens if I don't clone the HDD to the SSD? Will I need to buy a windows 10 product key?...
  7. Replacing HDD with SSD

Replacing HDD with SSD: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook, and attempted to replace the 1TB HDD with a new 500 GB SSD not a problem as I was fresh installing not cloning and will not even use 500 GB. I initialised the Crucial MX500 SSD in Windows 10, with the same partition type as HDD GPT and a new...
  8. Replace HDD with SSD Problems?

Replace HDD with SSD Problems?: Hello, community, I bought an SSD today and wanted to replace my old HDD with this one. I have successfully cloned the content of the HDD onto the SSD and now I wanted to put it into operation. But if I select the SSD in the boot menu as boot device, the screen stays black...
  9. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.: Hey, I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd. The laptop does not have an additional hdd option. Thanks in...
  10. Replacing my HDD with SSD?

Replacing my HDD with SSD?: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 with Windows 10. Last year I upgraded to i7-6700 and 16GB of RAM (Crucial.) Now I would like to add a SSD and 2 TB data HDD. I currently have a 1TB Hard Drive that my PC came with in June of 2016. So my question is, how do I upgrade the HDD and...