Windows 10: Replacing laptop chicklet key

Discus and support Replacing laptop chicklet key in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm sorry for posting this question in a forum more about software/configuration for Windows 10. But I've gotten so much good guidance here, thought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by asus2016, Mar 16, 2021.

1. asus2016 Win User

Replacing laptop chicklet key

I'm sorry for posting this question in a forum more about software/configuration for Windows 10. But I've gotten so much good guidance here, thought I'd give it a poke.

A key just popped off my HP G5 laptop today. Photos below, of the spot where it was, and the back side of the key:

Replacing laptop chicklet key [​IMG]

Replacing laptop chicklet key [​IMG]

From what I've googled and youtubed, the key retainer (the white squarish thing in the second picture, with a round cutout in the middle) should have remained on the keyboard, but instead, there it is, stuck in the key. Had it remained on the keyboard, the fix would have been to get it unfolded and risen above the surface, then carefully "pop" the key back onto it. But that option isn't available to me.

I called two of my favorite locally-owned computer shops - one where I'm pretty known - and they really just laughed at me - replacing the key, which itself probably costs less than a dollar, would be more trouble to them than it's worth.

But without it, my typing is horrible. Maybe a quarter of the keystrokes to the key (or to the little button under it) register and the rest don't. And I don't want to get a whole new internal keyboard, or worse, new laptop, for want of this small cheap part.

Suggestions? To try myself, or types of places that might tackle this fix?

:)

asus2016, Mar 16, 2021

2. [SOLVED] Budget keyboard with QUIET keys and/or small keys? Business or gaming.

Can you remove the wrist rest on the k740, or? *Eek! Replacing laptop chicklet key :eek:

minstreless, Mar 16, 2021
  3. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Mar 16, 2021
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Replacing laptop chicklet key - Similar Threads - Replacing laptop chicklet

2. replacing the key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    replacing the key?: Bought a pc with what turns out to be a less than legit key for win home 10. From what I have been able to gather, I should be able to get a legit key and register it. Is there a direct site I can purchase the key I didn't find it here but... this site is freaking immense!,...
  3. replacing the key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing the key?: Bought a pc with what turns out to be a less than legit key for win home 10. From what I have been able to gather, I should be able to get a legit key and register it. Is there a direct site I can purchase the key I didn't find it here but... this site is freaking immense!,...
  4. replacing the key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Replacing lost physical Windows key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing lost physical Windows key: I recently moved to Japan. I had my PC shipped to Japan with UPS. It was stolen. I had a USB with the Windows installer on it from that PC. Sadly, the key doesn't stay with the installer I created. I built a new PC and used that USB to install Windows, but now it wants me to...
  6. Replacing the storage of a laptop

Replacing the storage of a laptop: I'm trying to upgrade my storage of my laptop, I have been having some issues with my current HDD and I'm taking the chance to change it to a SSD, I want to know how to do this without loosing my windows license. The laptop was bought new from HP, it came already with a...
  7. Request a replacement license key

Request a replacement license key: I recently purchased Windows 10 Home and Flight Simulator 2020 to install both on an external USB for my Mac. I was unable to install FS2020 because I kept getting an error message saying that my computer was unable to meet the specifications for the installation of FS 2020....
  8. Replace the Home OEM key with a Pro OEM key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replace the Home OEM key with a Pro OEM key: Hi all, I ordered a new Ryzen 9 4900H laptop and it comes with Windows 10 Home. I am assuming this is OEM version of Windows and the product key is tied to the BIOS as per normal. I also have a spare Windows 10 Pro OEM key (not retail). If I wipe all partitions, and clean...
  9. Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?

Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?: Hello. I'm currently running Windows 10 Home with an OEM license. I need to replace my motherboard, but I can't buy the same model because it's no longer being manufactured. Since I have my Windows installation set up the way I want it, I'd like to replace my OEM product...
  10. Recovert key after replacing motherboard on laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovert key after replacing motherboard on laptop: After i got my laptop back after repairs (replacing the motherboard), i am met by a blue screen telling me to enter the recovery key for this drive. It says underneath that i have to go to account.microsoft.com/devices/recovery key to retrieve this key, however i don’t have...