Windows 10: Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

Discus and support Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I am attempting to upgrade the PCI-e Wifi card that ships with an old laptop to an Intel AX200 NGFF card , so I bought an NGFF to PCI-e adapter only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

So I am attempting to upgrade the PCI-e Wifi card that ships with an old laptop to an Intel AX200 NGFF card , so I bought an NGFF to PCI-e adapter only to realize something I haven't considered . Seems the antennas' connectors from back in PCI-e era were twice the size of the modern ones that fit the NGFF .

So basically I researched into replacing the antennas as well but then googled a tear down video for that laptop then realized I have to tear it down to the last screw in order to replace them where some parts even wont ever come back to how they used to so its definitely not an option .

I also googled the ability to replacing the metal parts then saw it to be a matter that require a microscope and some jewelry maker skills .

So finally the last thing I came to think was , I can acquire connectors that would fit the NGFF then cut the wires and node them with the built in ones even solder them if necessary , but I haven't seen this attempted in any post , nor someone ever thought its cons / pros if any .

So my question , are those cables shielded ? would removing the shield (cable cover) affect reception ? would covering them back in with tape do the trick ? would the reception lose quality in that case ?

Thanks in advance .

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Feb 28, 2020
  2. alexp999 Win User

Laptop WiFi antenna connecter thingy

My wireless card in my laptop has two antenna connectors like that. Are you sure your antenna does not have the connectors already on? Does your laptop definetly have an internal antenna?

alexp999, Feb 28, 2020
  3. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Laptop WiFi card replacement

Where I stand now:

• I have ordered an exact replacement WiFi card (new, $5 with shipping!) and it is due in next week.
    • The laptop owner has to go back home today, so this experiment will be on hold for a bit. I will revive the thread when I get some results.
    • Please keep the thoughts and info coming though!
    • If this were my laptop I would be doing all kinds of Frankenstein experiments, but alas.....
    • If the replacement card does not work I am going to push her towards the dongle solution.
    • If I get test antennae, and they correct the problem, I may still push the dongle. Finding new OEM replacement antennae has been difficult so far. I've only found used ones on EBay. Not going that route.

4. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

Laptop WiFi card replacement

Hi , sorry if i am late on this one , but here are few facts to answer all your questions through out the thread :

- The range of Toshiba Satellite C55 all ships "Whitelisted" a term used on the internet to describe laptops that wouldn't accept a different model to replace wifi card inside .

- There are underground sites specialized in removing white lists from laptop's bioses but they failed with this model (usually they are successful with those not heavily touched phoenix bios laptops but Toshiba heavily modify their's)

- While the majority of Whitelisted laptops won't allow you to even boot a laptop when the card model / brand switch , Toshiba's Whitelisting manages to boot windows but make the card unrecognizable . they do so so you can use the port as an extra M.2 slot to install a small S.S.D drive but not to replace the Wifi card by another .

- When you search for a replacement all you need is to search the model number on merchants website which is : bcm943142y and make sure it shows in listed name .

- There is one of those sold on amazon for 6$ (+shipping)

- The slot on the laptop is M.2 (accepts ssds) and also NGFF (accept small form factor wifi cards) , the card however is economical NGFF so its cut is even smaller than NGFF but still is NGFF standard .

- The only mean to test if the problem is with antenna is to get replacement external antennas (comes in packages of two separate antennas each with a dangling wire to attach to card) which sell for similar price as the card , those antennas however are meant for test purposes only and are not made as a long term solution .

- Debugging logic instructs you try first testing with antennas as when it turns out the problem is laptop's internal antennas then buying an external card/dongle becomes inevitable so you save on card's price and yet have antennas for upcoming debug challenges than rather 2 working obsolete cards .

I hope that answers all your questions .

Cheers
    *Cool

nIGHTmAYOR, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

1. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors - Similar Threads - Replacing laptop's wifi

2. Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna: I built a PC yesterday and all was going well until I was trying to set up Windows and it wasn’t recognizing any of the WiFi hardware. As a result I can’t connect to WiFi.I have two different ASUS WiFi antenna that I’ve tried to use with my PC and neither has shown up on...
  3. Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna: I built a PC yesterday and all was going well until I was trying to set up Windows and it wasn’t recognizing any of the WiFi hardware. As a result I can’t connect to WiFi.I have two different ASUS WiFi antenna that I’ve tried to use with my PC and neither has shown up on...
  4. Wifi Adapter Antenna Questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Adapter Antenna Questions: Hello All Switching to Ethernet possibly on Saturday for my Main Desktop, Some reason my Wifi 6 adapter can't hold 1.2gbps with Comcast XB7 Gateway anymore, so wondering something should i disconnect antennas, and just keep the card in for Bluetooth 5.0 function til i maybe...
  5. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors: So I am attempting to upgrade the PCI-e Wifi card that ships with an old laptop to an Intel AX200 NGFF card , so I bought an NGFF to PCI-e adapter only to realize something I haven't considered . Seems the antennas' connectors from back in PCI-e era were twice the size of the...
  6. HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna

HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna: HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna Wireless LAN Internet Adapter 802.11 n/g/b Network. I'm using Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 9020 MT Optiplex Desktop PC with no built in WiFi. I've been using a USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna Wireless LAN Internet Adapter 802.11...
  7. Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna?

Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna?: When using a laptop the internal antenna can only receive the WiFi signal that exists in that air space where it is located so it seems to me that plugging in a USB WiFi adapter into the laptop cannot increase the WiFi performance and yet that is the reason they are sold. Is...
  8. Snip off WiFi antenna?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Snip off WiFi antenna?: So have been repairing a few old laptops and one I stupidly put a screw through the antenna to the WiFi card when putting it back together. Replacing the antennae is too much trouble (having taken the screen off to look). So am going to get a usb WiFi dongle instead. But not...
  9. Buying a new Wifi Antenna

Buying a new Wifi Antenna: Hey! I have a ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING motherboard with two Wifi antenna fittings in the back. And the antenna that came with the board has two fittings as well. Id like to buy a better antenna but all I can find is the single connection antennas on the web. Now, can I use just...
  10. Wifi Antenna Question

Wifi Antenna Question: I have purchased a new ac router and a new ac pci-e network card (Asus). My setup before this purchase was this, pci-e 802.11n with two antenna connectors. Each connector has a 30 ft Wifi extension cable leading to two simple yagi antennas mounted outside. This has been...