Windows 10: Replacing MB - what do I need to do to reinstall Win10

Discus and support Replacing MB - what do I need to do to reinstall Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a bad MB. I can boot up to BIOS menu screen but can't do anything in BIOS or start Windows. The MB has been acting up for a while - so I'm going... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CountryBumkin, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Replacing MB - what do I need to do to reinstall Win10

I have a bad MB. I can boot up to BIOS menu screen but can't do anything in BIOS or start Windows. The MB has been acting up for a while - so I'm going to replace it now (should have replacement here any day).
    I will be reusing the CPU, Memory, video card, HDs, etc.

Is there anything I should do now to get ready? I have Win10 x64 on a USB stick.

Will I be able to reinstall and then activate the license (even if I need to use the phone activation)?
    Should I anticipate any problems activating since I will be using a different MB?

:)

CountryBumkin, Jun 30, 2017

2. it says i need an email program? were do i get it from?

it tells me there is an email program needed that i dont have. were do i get it from

what do i do,,,, Jun 30, 2017
  3. If i need to reinstall Windows, what to do, to install again Windows 10

You will need to burn an ISO disc (DVD) of win10, an ISO win10 is available here on MS, and elsewhere on the net. However, my system operating win 8.1 will be updated to win 10 automatically, and I'll just follow their instructions. My unit operating Win
    XP which I will need to buy win10 to replace...I will do a complete clean (format) of my HD.

So unless your operating an older OS, or Linux, there really is no need to Format your HD. It is always a good idea to have the latest OEM drivers installed regardless of win7 or 8.1 before updating to windows 10.

DouglasMcIntyreWM, Jun 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Replacing MB - what do I need to do to reinstall Win10

dalchina, Jun 30, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
  6. Thanks for the link - but I'm not sure if I ever activated the "digital license". And right now I can't get into Windows OS to see (or do) the digital activation. Maybe I can reset BIOS (pull battery and jumper something I think) and then get access to computer.

EDIT: I forgot to add - this is/was a retail license. All my computers are home built. Although the upgrade to Win10 was via the free MS upgrade from my retail Win7

CountryBumkin, Jul 1, 2017
  7. Thanks - I'll look those links in the "thread you posted". But from what I've seen looking at those threads, they epect me to do something from within Windows - but I can't start windows.

Regarding not needing to do a clean install - I am switching from an ITX ASROCk H67 MB to a mini-ATX GIGABYTE Z68. Its the only one I could find with LGA1155 socket.
    So won't I need to do a clean install to get the correct drivers loaded?

CountryBumkin, Jul 1, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

A small screwdriver tip across the jumper pins has always worked for me*Smile

Cliff S, Jul 1, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Here's a guide to the hardware aspects:
    Upgrade Your Motherboard the Easy Way | PCWorld

Some people reportedly have success without preparing Windows first- simply do the physical change and reboot. This is the quick an 'dirty' way.

This is the better way:
    Prepare Windows for a New CPU or motherboard - Spiceworks

Commentary here:
    Can I change motherboard and processor without a full re-install of windows? - Quora

Then there is yet another way. Use a disk imaging program such as Macrium Reflect and
    'restore to dissimilar hardware'.
    Restoring to dissimilar hardware - What is Macrium Redeploy? (ReDeploy)

Easeus provides a similar tool:
    Todo Backup Restore to Dissimilar Hardware - EaseUS

Aomei (Chinese) also does:
    Restore A System Image Backup to Computer with Dissimilar Hardware
    That may be more appropriate for you as you can't boot Windows.

Note, however, that if you currently use legacy BIOS and MBR, you might wish to move to UEFI + GPT, assuming your BIOS supports UEFI.

dalchina, Jul 1, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Changing from mbr to UEFI is easy now. There is a tutorial how to do it.

cereberus, Jul 1, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jul 1, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Jul 1, 2017
  13. Replacing MB - what do I need to do to reinstall Win10

I confirmed there was Digital License stored under my MS account, then ran Sysprep then replaced the MB, restarted computer - but it would not activate license. Didn't even give me any options to register.

So I reinstalled my retail "Win7 Home Premium", and the license worked. That's fine as this computer is just a HTPC so Win 7 is good.

CountryBumkin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Replacing MB - what do I need to do to reinstall Win10 - Similar Threads - Replacing need reinstall

2. Do I need to replace my 1TB M1 disk or What?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to replace my 1TB M1 disk or What?: Hi,Bought this computer a couple of years ago, it's always run great.I moved and didn't boot it up for a few months. Now when I boot I get a BIOS error saying my disk is bad and replace it immediately.But I go into the BIOS F1Go to the Boot Manager F8and select the only...
  3. What do I need to do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I need to do?: When I turn my PC on it loads like normal, after I type my pin and sign in, it takes it a bit longer than normal to load, but when it do it shows my homescreen with my applications on the screen but my Hot barthe bar on the bottom of the screen is transparent with nothing on...
  4. What do I need to do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What do I need to do?: When I turn my PC on it loads like normal, after I type my pin and sign in, it takes it a bit longer than normal to load, but when it do it shows my homescreen with my applications on the screen but my Hot barthe bar on the bottom of the screen is transparent with nothing on...
  5. what do I need to do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what do I need to do?: my windows surface has been showing an error of "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK' to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." after clicking "OK" it...
  6. what do I need to do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what do I need to do?: my windows surface has been showing an error of "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK' to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." after clicking "OK" it...
  7. what do I need to do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. New MB/CPU. Do I need to reinstall OS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New MB/CPU. Do I need to reinstall OS?: MB died. Getting a used replacement to swap in. Seamless? Would Win7 need to be reinstalled? Would Win10 need to be reinstalled? submitted by /u/CortexExport [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mf676j/new_mbcpu_do_i_need_to_reinstall_os/
  9. Replacing MB, what do I need to install Win10 (my previous Win7 disk)?

Replacing MB, what do I need to install Win10 (my previous Win7 disk)?: I'm going to replace the motherboard on my home-built computer. My computer is currently running Win10 x64 upgraded during the free "upgrade to Win10" period. I know I can download the Win10 ISO (USB version) to do the install. What will I need to "activate" Win10 once...
  10. Replacing mobo with an identical replacement: what do I need to know?

Replacing mobo with an identical replacement: what do I need to know?: Hi All: I just bought an identical (new) Vostro 270 mobo to replace the bad one in my Inspiron 660. Besides having to reactivate Windows 10, what else do I need to know or have on hand before proceeding? - Will I need to download drivers in advance - or can I update...