Windows 10: Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10

Discus and support Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; There appear to be many dozens of articles and posts on the subject of replacing hardware in systems running Windows 10, but none of them (none of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by drumboots, Dec 24, 2018.

1. drumboots Win User

Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10

There appear to be many dozens of articles and posts on the subject of replacing hardware in systems running Windows 10, but none of them (none of the dozens I have read at least) appear to offer a definitive answer or clear direction. At best the responses I have found amount to "you may or may not need to jump through hoops after replacing your motherboard." Not helpful at all.

My PC was installed with a fresh copy Windows 10 Home (not upgraded from a previous version) using a new retail license. I then "upgraded" the system to Windows 10 Edu using an Edu license acquired via my University.

Is there anything I should do before replacing my motherboard (and CPU)?

Is there anything I will need to do after replacing my motherboard (and CPU)?

Thanks,

Mark

:)

drumboots, Dec 24, 2018
  2. bkkdude57 Win User

Replacement Motherboard and CPU for Windows 10

Hi all,

When Windows 8 was released, I bought 2 licences for Laptop and desktop to upgrade from Windows 7. Later both upgraded to Windows 8.1. I upgraded both to Windows 10 last August. Now, due to motherboard fault, I need to replace the motherboard, and would
    like to take the opportunity to change the cpu from AMD to Intel, therefore needing to change motherboard and CPU. I will be using the original hard-drive with the Window 10 OS. What issues will I have on rebooting after the change? If a big problem, I
    can just replace the mothboard, but would really like to replace both.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

bkkdude57, Dec 24, 2018
  3. bkkdude57 Win User
    Replacement Motherboard and CPU for Windows 10

Hi again,

With reference to my post yesterday about replacing motherboard; My cuurent motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-F2A88X -UP4. If I replace it with the identical motherboard and use the same CPU, will I be able to boot up?

Best regards

bkkdude57, Dec 24, 2018
  4. Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10

Password incorrect after replacing motherboard.

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

There is some confusion about hardware changes on a Computer that will impact their free upgrade activation status. To clarify, the ONLY hardware changes that can negatively impact a customer’s activation status once they have upgrade are changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    If you replaces the Motherboard they may have to re activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

You can try to perform a clean install.

I would suggest you to create a ISO file from the below Microsoft Help Article and try to reinstall Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10

1. Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Replacing motherboard CPU

2. motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    motherboard replacement: I got a motherboard replace and the technician install Windows on it. When I got home I found out that my Windows is not activated at all. I run the troubleshooter and it didn't resolve my issue. I have Windows 10 before and it came from the free upgrade when its free.How can...
  3. motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    motherboard replacement: I got a motherboard replace and the technician install Windows on it. When I got home I found out that my Windows is not activated at all. I run the troubleshooter and it didn't resolve my issue. I have Windows 10 before and it came from the free upgrade when its free.How can...
  4. Motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard replacement: Hi, Is it possible to replace the motherboard in my Dell Inspiron 3847 to allow for a TPM chip? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-replacement/e8383a01-cb84-4ddc-9232-d55c2b894c6b
  5. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard: I recently needed to replace my failing CPU, and in doing so upgraded, therefore I put in an upgraded motherboard as well. This caused an activation issue with Windows, where it now thinks the key isn't valid because it is used on another device. Additionally, when I try to...
  6. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard: I recently needed to replace my failing CPU, and in doing so upgraded, therefore I put in an upgraded motherboard as well. This caused an activation issue with Windows, where it now thinks the key isn't valid because it is used on another device. Additionally, when I try to...
  7. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.

No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.: Split from this thread.This PC is running an activated Windows 10. I have replaced the motherboard & CPU NOT the hard disk with the activated software and system now tells me it needs activating - and no error code is produced by the system. The inability to communicate...
  9. Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10

Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10: I hope someone can provide me with the some guidance. The scenario is this: I'm updating the mobo, cpu and ram in my PC to AMD Ryzen 2700X and a Gigabyte x470. All the other components including the hard drive will be the same. I'll be reformatting the hard drive and...
  10. replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    replacing motherboard: Guys, I'm planning to change my motherboard soon (defective ports and still USB 2.0) to a more recent motherboard. Coming from windows 7, I understand that replacing the parts would require a reinstall of the OS but maybe it will be a different case for win10. Just wishful...