Windows 10: Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10

Discus and support Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I hope someone can provide me with the some guidance. The scenario is this: I'm updating the mobo, cpu and ram in my PC to AMD Ryzen 2700X and a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Marcus Vinicus, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10

I hope someone can provide me with the some guidance.

The scenario is this:
    • I'm updating the mobo, cpu and ram in my PC to AMD Ryzen 2700X and a Gigabyte x470.
    • All the other components including the hard drive will be the same.
    • I'll be reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 10 Pro from scratch.
    • Currently the PC has Windows 10 Pro Retail a free upgrade from 8.1 when win 10 was first released.
    • The license is a digital license linked to my MS account. I have two licenses the other is linked to my laptop.
    • The product key of Windows 10 Pro is the generic one ending in 3V66T

So can I reformat the hard drive, reinstall and activate Windows 10 with the new hardware?
    I've read many websites on this but would appreciate a clear answer.

Is the reactivation going to straight forward?
    Will I need to provide the Windows 8.1 Product Key? (I still have it).

Any advice on how to go about this would be really helpful.

I want to keep the Windows 10 license legit and if I really must will buy a new copy of Windows if that is the last resort.

Thanks
    *Smile

:)

Marcus Vinicus, Nov 6, 2018
  2. andy29uk Win User

Replacing Motherboard/CPU/RAM with OEM Windows

Hi, I am helping a friend with a Dell Optiplex computer which has Windows 8.1 OEM installed. It has been struck by lightning and I need to replace at least the motherboard.

Looking through forum threads here, it looks like if I replace the motherboard with one of the same model, the activation of Windows should be ok. What if I change to a different (compatible) CPU at the same time, would that still be ok? Does the RAM also need
    to be of the same size? The hard drive and other devices would be the same.

andy29uk, Nov 6, 2018
  3. bkkdude57 Win User
    Replacement Motherboard and CPU for Windows 10

Hi all,

When Windows 8 was released, I bought 2 licences for Laptop and desktop to upgrade from Windows 7. Later both upgraded to Windows 8.1. I upgraded both to Windows 10 last August. Now, due to motherboard fault, I need to replace the motherboard, and would
    like to take the opportunity to change the cpu from AMD to Intel, therefore needing to change motherboard and CPU. I will be using the original hard-drive with the Window 10 OS. What issues will I have on rebooting after the change? If a big problem, I
    can just replace the mothboard, but would really like to replace both.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

bkkdude57, Nov 6, 2018
  4. bkkdude57 Win User

Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10

Replacement Motherboard and CPU for Windows 10

Hi again,

With reference to my post yesterday about replacing motherboard; My cuurent motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-F2A88X -UP4. If I replace it with the identical motherboard and use the same CPU, will I be able to boot up?

Best regards

bkkdude57, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10

1. Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Replacing motherboard cpu

2. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....: For Christmas I will be upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Will I need to purchase another license for Windows 11 after the upgrade because the system will be with new parts....
  3. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....: For Christmas I will be upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Will I need to purchase another license for Windows 11 after the upgrade because the system will be with new parts....
  4. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard: I recently needed to replace my failing CPU, and in doing so upgraded, therefore I put in an upgraded motherboard as well. This caused an activation issue with Windows, where it now thinks the key isn't valid because it is used on another device. Additionally, when I try to...
  5. Windows 10 unable to activate after replace motherboard, processor and ram

Windows 10 unable to activate after replace motherboard, processor and ram: Hi Microsoft,My old processor malfunctioned few days back and got replacement consider upgraded due to part availability. But I cant activate the Windows 10.My Windows 10 was free upgrade from, Windows 7 many years ago. I have my Windows 7 key....
  6. No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.

No activation after motherboard &CPU replacement.: Split from this thread.This PC is running an activated Windows 10. I have replaced the motherboard & CPU NOT the hard disk with the activated software and system now tells me it needs activating - and no error code is produced by the system. The inability to communicate...
  7. New Motherboard, CPU, and RAM; Will my Windows registration transfer over or must I...

New Motherboard, CPU, and RAM; Will my Windows registration transfer over or must I...: Hey guys, I am replacing some of my hardware, specifically the CPU, RAM, and the motherboard. Is there a way for me to transfer my current Windows registration to my 'new' PC? Thank you in advance....
  8. BSOD even after replacing CPU,motherboard and RAM need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD even after replacing CPU,motherboard and RAM need help: Hi All, Lately I have been getting a bluescreen errors on my PC - Unexpected kernel mode trap. It mostly happens while launching games / gaming. (FFXIV, League of legends, overwatch, etc) I've tried different games and still get the same issue. My precious PC specs are...
  9. Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10

Replacing motherboard and CPU with Windows 10: There appear to be many dozens of articles and posts on the subject of replacing hardware in systems running Windows 10, but none of them (none of the dozens I have read at least) appear to offer a definitive answer or clear direction. At best the responses I have found...
  10. Windows 10 Pro x64 Blue Screening after I replaced the motherboard, but, kept the CPU, RAM,...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Blue Screening after I replaced the motherboard, but, kept the CPU, RAM,...: After I received my new motherboard in the mail, an ASUS M5A97 R2.0, I decided to take out the old Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 that was having issues with the USB ports shutting off for no reason and other issues, such as the PCI-e x1 slot getting covered by my GPU's heatsink and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. replacing motherboard intel to amd oem windows 10

2. ram bluescreen after mobo change

3. switching mobo ram cpu will win 10 stay

4. transfering windows 10 after cpu and motherboard change