Windows 10: replacing motherboard PIN question

Discus and support replacing motherboard PIN question in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On my nieces computer the login screen only has 1 option. PIN. There is no option to login with password. Once logged into windows I choose sign in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by green5178, Aug 7, 2022.

1. green5178 Win User

replacing motherboard PIN question

On my nieces computer the login screen only has 1 option. PIN. There is no option to login with password. Once logged into windows I choose sign in options. We only get PIN as option. Repair shop said to remove pin. Im afraid to remove pin since then there is no other option to login. With that being said as a test when we login to computer i chose option "forgot pin" when we did that it took us to the linked Microsoft account to reset pin and it let us log in. will i be ok to log in like this after board replacement and then reset PIN? This is on Windows 11. Not sure why its missin

:)

green5178, Aug 7, 2022

2. REplacing motherboard with refurbished motherboard

Hi Keith,

to keep license you need to replace motherboard by warranty. Sorry that are the license terms. If this will be warranty replacement please remember technician to do steps necessary for license keeping.

Igor Leyko, Aug 7, 2022
  3. green5178 Win User
    replacing motherboard

My laptop has a dead USB C port. I am getting the motherboard replaced. I was told to remove bitlocker. That is fine I understand that. But they are also asking me to remove PIN and password because after board replacement the PIN and password wont work? does this sound right?

green5178, Aug 7, 2022
  4. DaveM121 Win User

replacing motherboard

Hi green5178,

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

If you need to replace you motherboard, you should decrypt the drive and also remove you PIN login, both those are related to the TPM chip on the motherboard, there is no need to remove your password, if you login with a Microsoft Account, that is linked to your Microsoft Account online, not TPM.

DaveM121, Aug 7, 2022
Thema:

1. replacing motherboard PIN question - Similar Threads - replacing motherboard PIN

2. motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    motherboard replacement: I got a motherboard replace and the technician install Windows on it. When I got home I found out that my Windows is not activated at all. I run the troubleshooter and it didn't resolve my issue. I have Windows 10 before and it came from the free upgrade when its free.How can...
  3. motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    motherboard replacement: I got a motherboard replace and the technician install Windows on it. When I got home I found out that my Windows is not activated at all. I run the troubleshooter and it didn't resolve my issue. I have Windows 10 before and it came from the free upgrade when its free.How can...
  4. replacing motherboard PIN question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    replacing motherboard PIN question: On my nieces computer the login screen only has 1 option. PIN. There is no option to login with password. Once logged into windows I choose sign in options. We only get PIN as option. Repair shop said to remove pin. Im afraid to remove pin since then there is no other option...
  5. replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    replacing motherboard: My laptop has a dead USB C port. I am getting the motherboard replaced. I was told to remove bitlocker. That is fine I understand that. But they are also asking me to remove PIN and password because after board replacement the PIN and password wont work? does this sound...
  6. Motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Motherboard replacement: Hi, Is it possible to replace the motherboard in my Dell Inspiron 3847 to allow for a TPM chip? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-replacement/e8383a01-cb84-4ddc-9232-d55c2b894c6b
  7. Motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard replacement: Hi, Is it possible to replace the motherboard in my Dell Inspiron 3847 to allow for a TPM chip? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-replacement/e8383a01-cb84-4ddc-9232-d55c2b894c6b
  8. PIN won't set after replace Motherboard

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PIN won't set after replace Motherboard: Windows 10 Pro 1909 Workgroup Replaced Motherboard and PIN will not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-wont-set-after-replace-motherboard/0382e4bb-b093-4d66-b4d4-7850aad6c88c
  9. Replacing Motherboard Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing Motherboard Questions: I'm replacing/upgrading my motherboard and have some questions about it. Right now I'm still on W10 1511 and want to do a clean install of the AU 1607 when I'm replacing the MB. The new motherboard is UEFI capable, and I want my clean install of W10 to be UEFI. My present MB...
  10. replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    replacing motherboard: Guys, I'm planning to change my motherboard soon (defective ports and still USB 2.0) to a more recent motherboard. Coming from windows 7, I understand that replacing the parts would require a reinstall of the OS but maybe it will be a different case for win10. Just wishful...