Windows 10: Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?

Discus and support Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello all, i have windows 10 on my desktop. My processor is burning out so I've got a new motherboard and processor to put in, however after reading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ericjesberger, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?

Hello all, i have windows 10 on my desktop. My processor is burning out so I've got a new motherboard and processor to put in, however after reading online most people say that ill need a new product key but if i call customer support they should be able to help me. Now customer support over the phone is a paid service so what now?

:)

ericjesberger, Dec 12, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Replacing the Motherboard/CPU and the Hard Drive

If you are replacing your motherboard you will probably need to purchase a new Windows 10 licence as your digital entitlement (which is stored on a Microsoft server, not on a chip) is tied to your motherboard.

It is OK to replace a hard drive or other devices, but the motherboard requires a new licence as it is essentially a new PC!

DaveM121, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Ramon Imp Win User
    Reformatting the c drive

Hi,

To better assist you with your concern, we would like to know the following:

• What the exact error message that you're getting when you try to reformat your C: drive?
    • Why do you want to reformat your your C: drive?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve the issue?
    • Did you make any significant changes to your computer prior to the issue?

We look forward to your reply.

Ramon Imp, Dec 12, 2018
  4. jeanne89 Win User

Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?

Activation after replaceing motherboard

Original Title: replaceing motherboard

hi I'm planning on replacing my motherboard on my rog and putting it in a new case and use the same hard drive, the pc has windows 10 installed oem not from a download. If I can get the product key from my system before hand will I just be able to plug in
    my hard drive and just enter the product key in? or will I have to reinstall windows 10 and get another code?

jeanne89, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key?

1. Replacing my motherboard, need to reformat my drives. Do I need a new windows key? - Similar Threads - Replacing motherboard need

2. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?: I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I use the one on my current system?...
  3. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?: I'm currently running Windows 10 Home. I just bought some new PC components CPU, motherboard, RAM. Do I need a new windows 10 activation key or can I use the one on my current system?...
  4. Do I need a new windows key after replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am rebuilding my desktop with new hard drive and new motherboard, do I need a new copy of...: My old hard drive died while upgrading to a new one . I can not seem to get everything to work. I have tried a clean install using a boot usb drive but the computer shuts down as soon as it tries to start up windows. Or it asks for a repair and then shuts down. All attempts...
  6. Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updating Computer Motherboard and Drives; Do I need a new activation key for Windows?: Tomorrow 4/2 i'll be fully building my new pc with new motherboard and cpu. I'd also be swapping to primarily a M.2 drive from HDD where current windows is installed. Is there a way to move over my current windows installation without having to buy a new activation or license...
  7. Do I need to prep to replace motherboard?

Do I need to prep to replace motherboard?: I'm replacing my motherboard and watched a video saying we don't need to reload windows ten like previous windows additions. But I'm unclear if we need any prep work before attempting the upgrade. Like, will any of my data from my SSD get wiped? I have a second SSD for saved...
  8. If I reformat my Windows, do I need the key when it first start again?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    If I reformat my Windows, do I need the key when it first start again?: I'm looking to reformat my Windows because I'm gonna change my CPU (Intel SB -> AMD Mantissa) and also because there is wayyy too much junks that I have accumulated over the years that I don't know what's inside it anymore.. I'm looking at this:...
  9. If I replace my Motherboard and CPU do I need a new Windows license?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    If I replace my Motherboard and CPU do I need a new Windows license?: I've checked various sites and the CPU I have on my motherboard is the best it can have, I've had this computer for a long time now and I wanted to upgrade to a new motherboard however there are a few people that say that I would need to purchase Windows 10 again and that...
  10. Do I need a new windows 10 key if I replace my mother board?

Do I need a new windows 10 key if I replace my mother board?: I want to buy an 8th gen i7 and my current motherboard only supports up to 7th so I need to get a new one. So the question is...do I need to spend 200 dollars on a new windows?...